• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Métisse

oakapple

Métisse is a French bistro located at 239 W. 105th St, just slightly east of Broadway. It is about 2 blocks from the 103rd St Station on the #1 line.

A friend and I ate at Métisse on Saturday evening, as we were already going to be in that part of town, and wanted to remain up there. I ordered breaded shrimps with a sweet dipping sauce to start, followed by calf's liver. My friend had cream of asparagus soup, followed by grilled sea bass. We were both satisfied, with the caveat that my friend found her soup a tad too salty.

I had never ordered calf's liver as an entree before, but I'm the adventurous type and was looking for an something new. It was indescribably beguiling, with a crispy exterior and that cool, squishy livery taste inside. The portion was shaped like a very large sausage. I don't know if that's how it's usually served, since I don't normally order this dish.

The restaurant was full without being over-crowded. We waited at the bar for about 20-25 minutes before being seated. Once seated, service was more than adequate. The ambient noise does not overwhelm the senses, as can happen at some bistros. There are two lovely outdoor tables on a porch below street level, and the inside is decorated tastefully. It's a suitable date place, in a neighborhood where one doesn't ordinarily think of looking.

Dinner for two ran to $72, including tax and tip. We did not have alcohol.

• 1 year later...

I've walked past Métisse after 6pm several times in the last week, and it hasn't been open - anyone know if it's still around? I'd be kind of sad to see it go. The escargots are good.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I'd be sorry to hear they closed also because I always found it charming and intimate, and I liked the Saucisse et saucisson. I've been worried that they wouldn't survive Henry's, Carne, but they did. Now with Picnic, and the newest, Cafe Le Soleille, (opening in Positively 104th Street's spot) I guess the competition is getting too difficult. Let's hope not.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

Well, I stopped fretting long enough to call the restaurant (oh yeah...phones...duh). They're "closed for renovation" and will supposedly reopen next Monday! I'll sit here and bite my nails off till we see if it's true. :unsure:

Ok, I'll METAPHORICALLY bite my nails off. If I REALLY did it, I'd have ugly fingernails and we cannot have that, now can we? :blink::raz:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Great News! bergerka, I'm so glad you did that. If they do re-open, I hearby make a solomn promise to support them as much as I can, just to keep them around.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

• 2 months later...