• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkish / Greek Coffee

phaelon56

Browising in my local Mediterranean foods specialty market last weekend, I noticed this brand of coffee that looked interesting

i6028.jpg

I know the preparation style for Turkish coffee and believe there's a similar traditional style in Greece (dark roasted coffee heated in an Ibrik with the water to steep it and served with the grounds settling to the bottom of the cup). I was surprised to see one kilo bags of green beans on the shelf below the roasted coffee. At $3.99 per kilo for the green beans it's a mighty attractive price but I'm curious as to what beans might be in this blend (assuming it's a blend - not even sure of that). Also - is pan roasting or oven roasting at home a practice that people of Greek or other eastern Mediterranean origin still do here in the US?

i6027.jpg