• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seasonal Treats

YKL

White asapragus (if I were in Europe right now)

Jersey tomatoes

Local blueberries

Soft shell crabs

Canteloupe and honeydew melons that make the whole car smell perfumed for days afterward

In the late summer and fall - North Star Orchards heirloom pears, apples and especially the varieties of Asian Pears. Food of the gods. There is no better fruit on earth. Period.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

YKL,

Are these the same as zong zi? Yum.

Think so .... but only from some random googling. :biggrin:

My version is Hakka, and although I don't speak mandarin, that is plausible. If I'm lucky - someone wise will give me a proper name and maybe even idiot proof instructions to make them since I have never really seen them for sale anywhere.

This is barely on topic, but since it is a seasonal treat, just not a edible treat.

The first roller coaster ride of the season. The Blue Streak. Cedar Point. Sandusky, OH. That'll be me at the front of the line on May 7th.

[...

From my East coast experience, Silver Queen white corn.

Silver Queen white corn ROCKS!!! :rolleyes:

fresh picked sweet tomatoes, sprinkled with salt and slurped up!!!

Thats GOOD living!!! :raz:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Definitely fava beans. Corn. Springtime green garlic or, even better (if you can get locally): ramps! Asparagus. Tomatoes. Peaches. Watercress. Lots more!

Squeat

Favas, yes,yes, yes!!! And well worth the labor...

First artichokes of the season - especially from my Dad's yard

Babcock peaches and Gordon apples from the trees in my yard

And maters, maters, maters!!!!

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

In WA state:

Bing cherries

Peaches

Blackberries

Dungeness Crabs

Asparagus

Oregon Hazelnuts

And I remember one remarkable day in Minnesota, when my Grandfather drove me to the local farm. The owner's son brought in a basket of corn that he had just picked, and Gramps and I scooped up a bagful, along with their still sun-warm beefsteak tomatoes. Lunch, 15 minutes later was boiled corn, and sliced tomatoes. The best.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

After having my virgin expirience cooking soft shell crabs last spring I am going to start stalking the fish monger here until I see them.

Other things that are worth the wait:

Good sweet corn

Ripe Strawberries

and, be still my heart, morels

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

Strawberries, tomatoes, raspberries (our new house has a stand in the side yard!), tender little lettuces, peaches, and blueberries.

Heather, I expect you to share!!!

Me too!!!!!

Sliver Queen corn

Crabs from Chesapeake Bay drowning in Old Bay

Ice cold Summer Blonde

Ice crean for dessert.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I'm total agreement with this statement, but replace muscat grapes with New York concord grapes in the fall.

Now I'm horribly homesick! :sad: I grew up near the Finger Lakes.....

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Mango season in Hawaii (June, July), white pineapple, lychee and rambutan, tomatoes, sweet corn, Maui onions, Sunrise papaya, Thai watermelon, peas, asparagus, cherries, apricots, nectarines, peaches, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries.

Everything is better when it is in season!

One more vote for sour cherries... they're only in season for a few weeks (and generally are all gone at the pick-your-own farms inside of a week!)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org