• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for something "D.C."

polishjj

Has no one even mentioned any Ethiopian or Salvadorian food yet? That is what we got that most other cities in the U.S. do not, tons of it. Just to make it easy on you, get a pupusa at this Salvadorian joint on 14th between the Thomas circle and Vermont (near hamburger Mary's) and then go up the street two blocks to get a veggie combination platter and a Harare (beer) at Lalibela's. Then you will be full and happy. Ben's chili bowl is another great suggestion, up on U St between 11th and 12th. You can take the 14th street bridge off of the GW parkway. Or take 395 to 12th St and cut over to 14th. Good Luck.

I can't believe you would send an out-of-towner to Seven Corners. They will never find their way out.

c'mon, it's the easiest thing in the world! Just hop on any one of those seven corners, drive in a straight line, and you'll find youself out of 'em!

then you just have to figure out where the hell you are and how to navigate back to where you wanted to be without passing through that bermuda triangle ever, ever, ever again.

If you can wait, and to stop about 20 miles north of DC, on 270 just above Gaithersburg is an Amish or Pennsylvania Dutch market that makes the BEST pies and has the best BBQ I've ever had (and my father owns a BBQ restaurant... sadly, I've now been disowned :) )

This sounds like what I am looking for. Can you be more specific on how to get there and maybe find out the name?

Everyone has made some great suggestions. I really am looking for conveinence and to avoid the dreaded d.c. traffic ya'll talk about. Great discussion though!

-jj

Here's a little detour for you a little south of town on your way up in Fredericksburg, VA: Allman's Barbecue, 2000 Augustine Ave

From 95N, get onto Route 1 North, South of Fredericksburg.

Continue North on Rt 1 approx 4-5 miles and Allmans will be on your left.

Get there early or they may be all out!

When you leave, you can continue North on Rt 1, make a left on 17 and hook back up to 95N.

enjoy!

Natasha

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

gp tp georgetown bagelry...i truly believe that the bagels in this area are some of the best in the country, with georgetown bagelry being the finest DC has to offer.

grab a bagel at the location on river road in maryland (off of 495) and eat it while sitting on the capitol-crescent trail. or visit the store in georgetown.

DC is such a transient city, in that every two or four years there is a turnover. It is difficult for DC to establish a truly unique food or product. Maryland has the whole crab thing, virginia has it own unique things i am sure...but DC somehow doesn't.

Where are these good bagels? I think the bagels are horrendous here.

gp tp georgetown bagelry...i truly believe that the bagels in this area are some of the best in the country, with georgetown bagelry being the finest DC has to offer.

grab a bagel at the location on river road in maryland (off of 495) and eat it while sitting on the capitol-crescent trail. or visit the store in georgetown.

DC is such a transient city, in that every two or four years there is a turnover. It is difficult for DC to establish a truly unique food or product. Maryland has the whole crab thing, virginia has it own unique things i am sure...but DC somehow doesn't.

And I think everything is gross there.

And I think everything is gross there.

I miss Bagel Express on 93rd and 1st

have you guys been to georgetown bagelry?????

i have been to NYC, NJ, California, Baltimore, and Gerogetown Bagelry has great bagels.

Onion bagel with veggie cream cheese and a coffee....mmmmmmm

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

have you guys been to georgetown bagelry?????

i have been to NYC, NJ, California, Baltimore, and Gerogetown Bagelry has great bagels.

Onion bagel with veggie cream cheese and a coffee....mmmmmmm

Don't worry - we're not trying to suggest that you stop liking it.

We just agree that we think their bagels suck. :biggrin:

I'm surprised nobody has said this yet, but DC's biggest strength lies in the diversity of its ethnic cuisines. There's no one single experience that's quintessentially DC (unless you dine in the Senate cafeteria), so I'd pick an ethnic dive and scarf.

If you're looking for a good meal, you could take I-95 to the inner loop of I-495, get off on Route 7 West, and have a quick meal at Colvin Run Tavern before continuing on towards 270 and points north (being careful not to hit the American Legion Bridge and 270 corridor during afternoon rush hour).

Or perhaps you could get off the inner loop of I-495 at Route 50 East and hit the stunningly beautiful patio at 2941. Built with internet money, the architecture of this restaurant is extraordinary without being tacky. And you'll love the food, too, but you might not want to show up in jeans.

P.S. If you do get stuck in traffic, well, there's your quintessential DC experience. When you're infuriated at being stopped on the beltway, you can at least take solace in the fact that you have indeed gone native, and revel in the moment.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Ethiopian. Salvadoran. Vietnamese.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

After being in the DC area for forty years the only thing that I've seen around here that may be truly home-grown may be the porkchop sandwich. I used to order them in some of the poorer parts of town when I had projects in those area. They consist of two pices of Wonder Bread with a porkchop in between. I've also sampled chicken breast sandwiches, which were the same but a fried chicken breast between the bread and sometimes mombo sauce.

A few years ago the Post (I think) had a contest to find a dish that was native to the area and the best they could come up with was a half smoke, aparently invented here and popularized by Ben's Chili Bowl (btw, I don't like their chili) and Navy Beans as served by the (I think) congressional Cafeteria.