• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great NYC Bakeries

Ilex

In Brooklyn on Court St. are Court Pastry with IMO the best cannoli and sfogliadelle in the city and Caputo's bakery with excellent southern Italian bread (their sesame twist loaf is awesome) and Italian cookies. While there, stop in to Esposito's Pork store for their sausage bread (the real name escapes me at the moment - the horrors of getting old). This unfortunately is a vanishing breed.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Madonia Bakery @ 2348 Arthur Avenue (Bronx) for bread. Several excellent restaurants in the area Dominick's and Roberto's get there bread from this place. It is open even on Sundays. Great variety!

Edited by mascarpone (log)

I think that Soutine is missing from the various lists shown here elsewhere. Soutine is a magnificent pastry shop, one of the best in Manhattan, and apparently less well known than it ought to be. When fresh, the tarte tatin is amazing, as are the chocolate napoleons and the creme puffs. Amazing--certainly better than anything I've had at Claude's.