• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 1)

jhlurie

Place the bowl so the steam is hitting it and the bowl itself isn't in the boiling water. It'll keep you from scalding your delicate chocolate.

But isn't the steam hotter than the water itself? Or am I imagining that?

Edited by Susan G (log)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Why is it called a Dutch oven? It's not an oven, and I thought it came from the Deutch (Germans). Is a cast iron pot with a lid a substitute?

Yes, it's an oven. In ye days of olde, when cooking was done over a fire/in the fireplace, the Dutch Oven served as an oven before ovens were invented. They usually had legs on them so they could stand in the embers. Some also had flat rimmed lids that allowed coals to be placed on top so it really did become a kind of oven. Such Dutch Ovens are still used today in this manner in "cowboy cooking"/campfire cooking. A web search can provide more information.

Originally I believe all Dutch Ovens were cast iron with a lid (what other materials did they have to work with?). It wasn't until much later when modern ovens were commonplace that you found material variations (enameled cast iron, etc).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

How can I figure out how much sauce to put on lasagne?  I have a great recipe for butternut squash lasagne with ricotta, mozz, and parmesean cheeses.  The sauce is a bechamel.  I have made this a couple of times with the results being either too "saucey" and sliding all over the plate, or too dry.  Any suggestions?  Oh, and I've tried making this with both cooked noodles and the no-boil kinds.

I haven't gotten the hang of those new-fangled no-boil noodles, so I always use cooked. With those, I use really thin layers of everything, no more than 1/4 cup for each layer of sauce in a 9X5 Pyrex dish. And a sprinkle of grated parmesan on top to mediate. Oh, and I bake it off uncovered, only tenting if the cheese on top starts to get too dark.

I will admit to having made super-wet "lasagna" last week -- but instead of noodles I was using slices of eggplant, blanched in boiling water first. Yummy, but sloppy.

Anyway, we're talking about AMERICAN lasagna. According to Santa Marcella, there are very few layers and the whole thing is not terrible tall. :sad:

How can I figure out how much sauce to put on lasagne?  I have a great recipe for butternut squash lasagne with ricotta, mozz, and parmesean cheeses.  The sauce is a bechamel.  I have made this a couple of times with the results being either too "saucey" and sliding all over the plate, or too dry.  Any suggestions?  Oh, and I've tried making this with both cooked noodles and the no-boil kinds.

Another factor might be how soon out of the oven you cut the lasagna. Let it set up for 15-30 minutes after you remove it from the oven. I'd go light on the bechamel but that's a personal preference: I find too much and everything does get gluey. Plus with all that cheese you have a good binding. Heck now that I think about it you could forgo the bechamel altogether and use a simple tomato sauce!

Here's my question, something that has perplexed me:

Why is that you can both braise a leg of lamb or roast it? Which method is better?

With roasts or grilling I understand that the meat ideal for it has only the marbling kind of fat to melt and keep the meat tender. Meats for braising need to have alot of connective tissue. Seems to me that leg of lamb has that in abundance, yet it is more often that you see it roasted or grilled? I did do a roasted leg of lamb last spring and that fact occured to me with all the fat and connective tissue evident when I had it laying opened up for stuffing. I cooked it medium rare (actually more towards rare) and while the meat was delicious there was, I thought, alot of "waste" in the form of chewy bits and fat that otherwise would have broken down nicely with a few hours in a covered pot wimmering away with white wine. But I liked that medium rare meat!

Any tips/thoughts on how to get around this?

okay, i have a really stupid one.

for the life of me, i can not properly poach an egg. how do you do it?? i've googled endlessly for the answer to this riddle, added vinegar to the water, and dipped the edge of my bowl into the boiling water in order to slide the raw egg in slowly rather than just dropping it in, but alas, the boyfriend and i are stuck on scramble. and please don't tell me to get one of those poaching trays. i spent way too much time scrubbing his grandmother's after she made us breakfast one morning... why do those things get so damn messy? wait, don't answer that. just tell me how to poach an egg.

please.

okay, i have a really stupid one.

for the life of me, i can not properly poach an egg. how do you do it?? i've googled endlessly for the answer to this riddle, added vinegar to the water, and dipped the edge of my bowl into the boiling water in order to slide the raw egg in slowly rather than just dropping it in, but alas, the boyfriend and i are stuck on scramble. and please don't tell me to get one of those poaching trays. i spent way too much time scrubbing his grandmother's after she made us breakfast one morning... why do those things get so damn messy? wait, don't answer that. just tell me how to poach an egg.

please.

The trick is to parboil the eggs before you crack them. You have the water at boil anyway so it is not a chore.

Poke a very small hole in the big end of the shell. Lower the eggs into the boiling water carefully. Time them for 15 to 20 seconds and then take them out.

Now crack the eggs into the water and cook until they are done. I don't time them, I just observe how wiggley they are. When I take them out I sop up any water with a paper towel before I "plate" them. The result is perfect poached eggs.

Thank you Julia Child.

Cakes

I'll check the manufacturer as well, but just in case, I have a Dutch oven I got at an estate sale that has plastic handles, it says "Sears Roebuck And Co." on the bottom.  It can't be toooo terribly old because it has Teflon inside.  My new one from Walmart is "Revere."  It's a five-quart.  Believe me, I would buy better brands if I could.  For now, this is what I have to work with.

Hey Rachel, have you tried TJ Maxx? I live in the midwest too and I drop by there occasionally just see what they have -- I've gotten really lucky a few times. They almost always have a few dutch ovens (sometimes Le Crueset even, though still not cheap) but also a couple non-name brand but sturdy-looking cast iron ones. They carry some nice pans, too.

OK, here is my stupid question -- not exactly cooking, but embarassing since it calls into question my googling capabilites. Does anyone remember that "cheap knife" thread from way back? I tried and tried to search (honest) but couldn't find it. Someone had a link to an online chef's supply where they had these cute <$30 knives, I think made in italy, with synthetic green and red handles. If you know what this was, you would make me very happy.

oh, I am not proficent enough on the whole quoting link thingy..but go to the EGCI here : http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showforum=108 the egg class is great..the stock class reviews consomme..the truth is..I don't feel like I need to retain everything, its al here on EGCI! Like the periodic table int 9th grade..why memorize when you KNOW it will be on the back bulletin board of every science classroom from now until the end of time. oh, and lasagne, I think its all in the resting..dont' be afraid to heat it and then let it sit for an hour, covered in foil. I like the bechemel to coagulate a bit...I'm at a loss for the atttraction for these runny lasagnes..marinara is not a lasagne sauce...lines between fresh and baked pastas are blurring..I say. let it cook a nd then let it sit.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

The trick is to parboil the eggs before you crack them.  You have the water at boil anyway so it is not a chore.

Poke a very small hole in the big end of the shell.  Lower the eggs into the boiling water carefully.  Time them for 15 to 20 seconds and then take them out.

Now crack the eggs into the water and cook until they are done. I don't time them, I just observe how wiggley they are.  When I take them out I sop up any water with a paper towel before I "plate" them.  The result is perfect poached eggs.

Thank you Julia Child.

Cakes

thanks! i can't wait to try your (ms. child's) method this weekend!

OK, here is my stupid question -- not exactly cooking, but embarassing since it calls into question my googling capabilites. Does anyone remember that "cheap knife" thread from way back? I tried and tried to search (honest) but couldn't find it. Someone had a link to an online chef's supply where they had these cute <$30 knives, I think made in italy, with synthetic green and red handles. If you know what this was, you would make me very happy.

Are you thinking of the "When Cheaper is Just Fine" Thread? If so, try this post and see whether it puts you on the right track. There were a lot of posts about knives (and thongs :wink:) in this thread, so your particular knife discussion may be elsewhere in there.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Are you thinking of the "When Cheaper is Just Fine" Thread?  If so, try this post and see whether it puts you on the right track.  There were a lot of posts about knives (and thongs  :wink:) in this thread, so your particular knife discussion may be elsewhere in there.

No, sorry. It was an entire thread started by someone who wanted to buy a decent knife for around $30 or so. Kitchen thongs do sound useful though...

Okay here is a really dumb one that I should know but can't seemed to remember, what exactly is a consomme?  And, what is the eggwhite to stock ratio to create a raft?

Okay, here we go again. :rolleyes:

A consommé is a stock or broth that has been clarified to remove impurities so that it is crystal clear.  -- On Cooking, Second edition, p. 235

Labensky and Hause say that to get 4 quarts of consommé, you need to make a clearmeat of 10 eggs whites, 2 pounds of ground beef, 1 pound of mirepoix, 12oz seeded and diced tomato to add to 5 quarts of beef stock, plus flavoring sachet, onion brulee, and salt TT (TT????)

Whip the egg whites until slightly frothy; combine with the ground meat, mirepoix, and tomato in an "appropriate" stockpot :huh: ; mix well with the COLD stock. Mix in the other stuff. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. STOP :shock: stirring when the raft begins to form. [This is where we diverge: I was taught to move the pot to the side of the burner, so that the liquid will naturally circulates up one side only. They say break a hole in the raft. :hmmm: ] Simmer about 1 1/2 hours. Lift off raft (or drain liquid out the spigot at the bottom, if you're lucky enough to have such a pot). Strain liquid through several layers of cheesecloth and degrease.

Of course, if it STILL isn't crystal clear :sad: chill and degrease the stock, mix in lightly beaten egg whites (4 per gallon), bring it slowly to a simmer, and when the egg whites have coagulated, take it off the heat, strain, etc. etc.

I've also seen people just process up a bunch of meat, mirepoix, and whole eggs (INCLUDING the shells) to use for the clearmeat. The main thing is that the stock be cold when you mix in the clearmeat, and that once the raft forms, LEAVE IT ALONE.

You got that now??? :laugh:

No, sorry. It was an entire thread started by someone who wanted to buy a decent knife for around $30 or so.  Kitchen thongs do sound useful though...

Ah. Maybe I've found your thread here. This link takes you to a specific post that mentions Sanelli knives. If you go up-and down-thread from there you'll find reference to other knives, and links to knife shops, and even a link to a photo of a snappy Sanelli Japanese knife with a red-and-green handle. Thread started by a guy who wanted to spend $30 - $40 on a knife. Sound right this time?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ah.  Maybe I've found your thread here.  This link takes you to a specific post that mentions Sanelli knives.  If you go up-and down-thread from there you'll find reference to other knives, and links to knife shops, and even a link to a photo of a snappy Sanelli Japanese knife with a red-and-green handle.  Thread started by a guy who wanted to spend $30 - $40 on a knife.  Sound right this time?

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

• 4 months later...

Why shouldn't you put hot things in the refrigerator?

I have always been told this, but I am not entirely sure what the harm would be to the product.

Assuming it isn't something hot enough to damage the refrigerator, why not?

Is it because it warms up everything else in the refrigerator? What if that wasn't a problem, is is still a bad idea? Is it because it wastes energy?

I have heard that it is also because due to some strange thermic effect the inside, of a roast for example, will never quite cool down fast enough to avoid some amount of spoil and/or degradation of quality. Is this true? Does this damage quality?

Exactly why is it a bad idea for me to just put a pot full of warm/hot stock straight from the stove and into the refrigerator?

As you guessed, one reason is that the heat from the item may warm up other foods, particularly raw foods like poultry or eggs into the danger zone (temps when they are prone to harmful bacteria growth). Likewise, stock and broth are ostensibly prone to bacteria growth so putting them still-warm in the fridge to cool would keep them too long in the "danger zone ". You are supposed to cool the stock off as quickly as possible. On an episode of Good Eats, Alton froze several ziploc baggies filled with water and submerged them in the stock and placed the pot into a sink filled with icewater.

I've been saving these cooking queries for too long!

1. I cooked a whole duck breast and was amazed how much fat was rendered, so I saved it in the refrigerator. Is it safe to use, when does it go bad, and what the heck do I do with it now?

2. I have an open bottle of vin santo. For some reason I feel like cooking with it rather than drinking it. Any ideas how to use it up? Probably 1.5 cups.

3. I made a red wine reduction sauce using a recipe that I saw in the NYTimes magazine a few weeks ago. I reduced it in a regular calphalon sauce pan for a while, then strained it, and finished cooking it in a small enameled saucepan. After it had been in the 2nd pan for a while, I tasted it, and it had an atrocious metallic taste. I assume the taste came from the enamelled pan. What went wrong? Is enamel too reactive to use with wine? I thought only aluminum was bad.

4. Out of the same NYTimes article, there was a recipe for pork chops brined in a mixture of water, apple cider, salt, and pepper (the above mentioned red wine sauce was the accompaniment). I brined the chops 48 hours (max was 72). Then dried them off and put in a saute pan with oil, as per recipe. The goal was to brown them in the pan, then finish in the oven. But, they kept releasing so much liquid that they just wouldn't brown. Since it is so hard to get pork that isn't dry/tough, I thought this brining thing would be great. So, how to brine it and still be able to brown it too?

5. I bought a piece of monkfish from Fresh Direct (an online grocery store for those outside NYC). Put it in the pan, noticed something funny looking. It was a worm, fully alive. Gross. Question is, should i just assume that all fish is safe to eat as long as I cook it thoroughly, even if I find a worm? Or should I be careful and throw it out?

Thanks,

Rory

Rory Bernstein Kerber

www.RoryKerber.com

1) Strain the duck fat and freeze it to be extra sure, though I don't think refrigerating it is bad. Use the fat as you would any other cooking fat, potatoes are particularly good sauteed in duck fat.

2) Coincidentally, Vin Santo goes really well with duck! Use it in place of marsala in sweet or savory recipes. Have you tried it just as a little after-dinner drink? Works better in smaller doses IMO.

3) I'm not so familiar with the alchemy of cooking metals and enamels, though and enameled pan shouldn't react to wine; in fact to my understanding, that's what it's there for is to prevent a reaction.

4) Broil the chops or roast them in a very, very hot oven, or grill them to get that brown crust. This is again getting into the chemistry territory but to me, 48 hours seems awful long for a brine.

5) Throw it out. There was a "wormy fish" thread here a while ago.

. . . . .

Do you reuse cheesecloth? I boil mine a few times before it falls apart. Is there a better way?

Yeah . . . trash can. :raz:

Seriously, the only kind of cheesecloth that I know about is the flimsy stuff I get at the little packet at the grocery. I can't imagine boiling that stuff. I might be missing something here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose