• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 1)

jhlurie

Here's an easy one, I think - when a recipe calls for egg whites to be beaten into stiff peaks, how long do they take to form? I had my little handheld mixer whirring away in a bowl of three egg whites + two tablespoons sugar yesterday and the mixture, half an hour later, was thickening but definitely far from peak-dom. I was getting tired and stressed, so I did a Bad Thing and just folded in the egg mixture, sans peaks, into the rest of my chocolate torte batter, and hoped for the best. The cake turned out all right, thankfully. But I'm still puzzled over the stiff peak issue. And my left arm is sore this morning from holding up the mixer, though I suspect that is more a function of my lack of exercise over the last year.

My first thought is that the amount of whites did not allow for the electric mixer you were using to do the job right. I picture the machine spinning fast in a bowl and the whites desperately trying to hold on to the attachments. If this wasn't the case (or in addition to), maybe you didn't have prestine, clean tools (not to imply that you are not clean :smile: ). Any fat at all will hender the whites from stiffining. Try it again with a wire wisk, just keep a steady stroke as if you are milking a cow. Stiff peeks hold firm when you pull the wisk up but be careful not to over-whip.

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

But! (Pay attention, fifi, and anyone else who neglects to read the manual.)

Every manufacturer I checked recommends removing the oven racks before running the self-cleaning cycle . . . (Above 750 F/400 C, chrome plating loses its luster and self-lubriacting capability, and becomes rough and slightly pitted.)

Oh, that explains why they weren't so shiny after I used the self-clean cycle. And I wonder where the manual is--I bought a condo with self cleaning oven and the previous owner kindly left the manuals (including the one for the microwave she took along). I've filed it in two different "Obvious" places and never find it when I want it.

When I was in a group house I don't remember them taking the racks out when they cleaned the over but I don't remember whether those racks were actually shiny anymore (would be surprised if they were).

Oh well. I haven't noticed roughness and pitting but haven't eyeballed the entire racks. How is it self-lubricating? Never mind, I guess that's why they slide in and out easily.

where does one get green tomatoes? i've got plants, so my garden is the obvious answer...but what variety works best? does it matter? to what stage of maturity do they need to get before they're right to pick/fry?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

My first thought is that the amount of whites did not allow for the electric mixer you were using to do the job right. I picture the machine spinning fast in a bowl and the whites desperately trying to hold on to the attachments. If this wasn't the case (or in addition to), maybe you didn't have prestine, clean tools (not to imply that you are not clean :smile: ). Any fat at all will hender the whites from stiffining. Try it again with a wire wisk, just keep a steady stroke as if you are milking a cow. Stiff peeks hold firm when you pull the wisk up but be careful not to over-whip.

All good thoughts. A few more:

Room-temperature whites will inflate more easily than cold.

Supposedly you can start whipping with the sugar already in the bowl, as long as you aren't adding a lot. But I don't see any reason to tempt fate. Sugar crystals can act like tiny little knives, deflating your protein bubbles almost as quickly as you create them. I always wait until I've got soft peaks, then add the sugar gradually.

Especially with an electric mixer, you need to start slow. Get a decent foam going before cranking the spped up.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Oh well. I haven't noticed roughness and pitting but haven't eyeballed the entire racks. How is it self-lubricating? Never mind, I guess that's why they slide in and out easily.

Roughness, pitting and increased friction are all ways of describing the results of the same process. When chrome plating is in good shape, it's extermely hard, with a low coefficient of friction, which makes it seem slippery. (Well, it is slippery, by most definitions.) Think satin, or silk: tight, slick and shiny. Exposure to heat causes the plating to deteriorate. It bubbles at a microscopic level, and this causes the surface to break into a gazillion tiny little craters. Think velvet or suede.

Ideally, I suppose, oven interiors would be made entirely out of Teflon, but it's only good up to about 600 F -- not high enough for broiler units or close proximity to coils or burners that need to heat the oven to 550 F.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

where does one get green tomatoes? i've got plants, so my garden is the obvious answer...but what variety works best? does it matter? to what stage of maturity do they need to get before they're right to pick/fry?

One of our gardeners will have to answer the question of variety, but I'm not sure it matters much. The essential features of a green tomato are its acidity (which contrasts with the fat and breading), and its dry firmness (which lets it stand up to the breading and frying process).

As for when to pick them: when they quit getting bigger, but before they start to redden. If you wait for the faintest pink blush at the stem, you're assured of maximum size and tartness, and almost optimum texture. I'd bet Mayhaw Man has a few other pointers.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

When people say they are coming over with "a whole mess of ribs" for the grill what ribs are they talking about? Cow? Pig? Turkey? I could call back and ask but I just can't. Please help the poor ignorant vegetarian!

Melissa

When people say they are coming over with "a whole mess of ribs" for the grill what ribs are they talking about? Cow? Pig? Turkey? I could call back and ask but I just can't. Please help the poor ignorant vegetarian!

Probably pork :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Sometimes when people say green tomatoes they mean tomatillos (tomate verde), which are not actually tomatoes.

When people say they are coming over with "a whole mess of ribs" for the grill what ribs are they talking about? Cow? Pig? Turkey?  I could call back and ask but I just can't.  Please help the poor ignorant vegetarian!

Probably pork :biggrin:

Thanks Marlene, I just wanted to have a tiny bit of a clue when I offered it to people on a platter. I've actually never cooked meat in my entire life except for warming up things like ham and wings in the oven so I really didn't know. :blink:

Melissa

Sometimes when people say green tomatoes they mean tomatillos (tomate verde), which are not actually tomatoes.

In fact, I saw fried green tomatillos on the menu at NOLA (one of Emeril's places) not long ago. I don't think it's a bad substitiution.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

what a good idea. i've only had FGT once - and they were spectacular. depending on our yield this summer i could see sacrificing some of them but i'd love to get them from another source entirely and keep the red ones for eating raw.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

what a good idea. i've only had FGT once - and they were spectacular. depending on our yield this summer i could see sacrificing some of them but i'd love to get them from another source entirely and keep the red ones for eating raw.

You poor deprived Yankee. They're in all the markets down here (Atlanta) this time of year.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Since being a member here I have tried numerous new foods that I would never have tried without encouragement. Determined to pursue this adventure I picked up a bunch of swiss chard in the grocery store with the intent of trying it - but I put it straight back down again! Since I can't cook it tonight or even tomorrow, I realized that one bunch of chard would take up my whole fridge! So, how do you store it if you can't use it immediately? Do you wash it and chop it up? How long will it stay fresh if you do this? I can only shop once a week so these things become problematic. Thanks

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Swiss chard is almost two vegetables in one. The stems take much longer to cook than the leaves. I almost always cook both stems and leaves for the same dish, but I cook the stems first and add the leaves later. The stems will get kind of woody and dried-out if stripped in advance, so no, I wouldn't prep the vegetable in advance of cooking it by more than an hour or two. I do find most chard can last in my fridge for 2-3 days before becoming wilted and tired. When it's time to eat, wash it, strip the leaves from the stems, and cut the stems and leaves as desired before cooking. The leaves will cook down quite a lot, though not so much as spinach leaves.

I absolutely love swiss chard, especially as a ravioli filling or sauteed with pancetta as a base for a balsamic-glazed piece of roasted salmon. Mmmm!

Swiss chard is almost two vegetables in one. The stems take much longer to cook than the leaves. I almost always cook both stems and leaves for the same dish, but I cook the stems first and add the leaves later. The stems will get kind of woody and dried-out if stripped in advance, so no, I wouldn't prep the vegetable in advance of cooking it by more than an hour or two. I do find most chard can last in my fridge for 2-3 days before becoming wilted and tired. When it's time to eat, wash it, strip the leaves from the stems, and cut the stems and leaves as desired before cooking. The leaves will cook down quite a lot, though not so much as spinach leaves.

I absolutely love swiss chard, especially as a ravioli filling or sauteed with pancetta as a base for a balsamic-glazed piece of roasted salmon. Mmmm!

Thanks for the cooking hints but it looks as if I can only try it out on shopping night when it's too late to cook :sad:

I just can't see how I can fit that huge bundle of leaves in a fridge that is already loaded with a week's worth of groceries. Maybe when I get a small bar fridge I can find room for it! Oh well, there's lots more foods to try.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

If it's the size that's the problem, yes, I think you will be unable to sample chard anytime soon.

Sorry for the exposition; I wrote a paper on chard in culinary school. :blush:

Depending on how fresh the chard was, I've kept it in the fridge for up to a week. My favorite quick method is to cut out the stems, then slice the remaining leaves into 1" strips [each side of the leaf minus the stem/backbone piled on top of another side of a leaf], rinse, shake the water off lightly. After sauteeing some minced garlic in EVOO in a big saute pan, I put the masses of chard leaf pieces, clamp the top on, and steam in the water clinging to the leaves for a couple of minutes until they wilt down. Plate up and drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar before serving. I confess to ignoring the stems....Maybe you could share a bunch of chard with a neighbor or friend....

If it's the size that's the problem, yes, I think you will be unable to sample chard anytime soon.

Sorry for the exposition; I wrote a paper on chard in culinary school. :blush:

Good heavens, Rochelle, no apology is needed. I have filed away your "exposition" for future reference. I bet your paper was fascinating to write and to read!

My 2004 eG Blog

Depending on how fresh the chard was, I've kept it in the fridge for up to a week. My favorite quick method is to cut out the stems, then slice the remaining leaves into 1" strips [each side of the leaf minus the stem/backbone piled on top of another side of a leaf], rinse, shake the water off lightly. After sauteeing some minced garlic in EVOO in a big saute pan, I put the masses of chard leaf pieces, clamp the top on, and steam in the water clinging to the leaves for a couple of minutes until they wilt down. Plate up and drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar before serving. I confess to ignoring the stems....Maybe you could share a bunch of chard with a neighbor or friend....

The stems are great blanched and then gratin-ed.

• 2 weeks later...

Nessa,

I use the hand trick to check steaks, taught to me by the cooks when I used to work in restaurants. Put your index finger and thumb together to form a circle, like the "OK" sign. Now poke your hand below the V formed by the two fingers- That is what rare feels like. If you move your thumb tip to the first joint of your index finger, that is med-rare, second joint is med, knuckle joint is well.

In terms of salting pasta, I alwas heard it should be as salty as the Mediterreean too, though I never go quite this far. I NEVER use oil in the cooking water, though I might add it afterward if the pasta is to be cooled for a salad. If you use enough water, you shouldn't need the oil.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza