• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New President for FoodNetwork

Chad

I think of Food Network kind of like Mtv

I was just thinking this as well. But let's take it a little further. MTV started out with just music videos, then they got popular and started programming that they could sell better advertising to. So then they created MTV2 to be the place for music videos. I don't have cable in any serious way, I have heard that MTV2 now has a ton of "regular" programming. Plus there was the VH1 thing, which now only shows about how funny they 80s were.

Can we extrapolate that to any genre channel that gains popularity? Not likely. There used to be 2 or 3 comedy channels that sort of merged into Comedy Central. And while digital cable does open the possibility to hundreds upon hundreds of very specific niche channels, it still costs a good chunk of change to make a new show. It would be no problem to make a channel that shows nothing but old 21 Jump Street reruns, or a channel that shows commercials from 1978, but to have a very specific niche programming channel showing new stuff? It would probably all be VERY cable-access-ish.

Also, look at Scripps' holdings. They have 4 Networks (mostly homey stuff) United Media (your favorite cartoons), a bunch of little TV channels all over the country, a bunch of newspapers, and the shop at home network. I'm not drawing any conclusions from this as to what they might plan to do going forward. I'm kind of fishing for speculation and discussion.

Tawk amongst yourselves.

I agree with Brad that a few years ago FTV was more "geeky," it had cooking shows on almost all the time. I still miss ... East Meets West, among others. This was B.E.E. (Before Emeril Exploded), and now I don't watch it as much as I used to... There's only so much "Best Of" and "Top Five" I can take...

I hope the Brooke Johnson has a better vision and gives the audience more credit.

I also loved David Rosengarten's "Taste", and while I don't get to see Alton Brown that often, I found his early shows wonderful and itelligent.

And I'd like to propose a theory, and a plan...

My theory is that in the days when the food network was introduced, when it was at its most intelligent, the number of cable companies carrying it was so limited that the original programming never really got the chance to prove itself. I think to myself that surely there are enough sohpisiticated foodies out there that they were correct with their original vision - and then I remember that even in NJ we didn't get it (a friend in NYC used to tape it for me) and I also remember learning from a Julia Child comment that it wasn't carried in Boston either in the early years! Maybe in fact, now that it's everywhere, enough people would prefer the original content to "Top 5" and the like.

Now don't laugh me off here - could we organize a letter writing campaign? It would be easy enough, and even if there were only 16,000 of us, I think that if the new President of the network were to get the same letter from all of us, basically "can the "Top 5 and bring us back the intelligent shows" she might sit up and take note, and it would be easy enough to do...

Would somebody out there like to draft a letter, or could we do it together online, and then we'd all print it and mail it in the same week? It'd be easy enough, and interesting to see the results, I think.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

If anyone who works at Food Network reads these posts, here's a suggestion:

Take a close look at TVLand. Remember how it started as Nick at Nite?

Play some of the beloved old classic cooking shows late at night!

Weekdays at midnight they just start their 8pm programming again. While I admit I used to like this, when Cook's Tour was on on friday and I never got home in time to see the first one, this problem is easily solved by a VCR or Tivo.

Come on, folks, add a little creativity to your programming line up. You're up and comers, test the boundaries a little. Safety will only get you so far.

So, I like the Food Network and watch it every night (but not Dwezil and Lisa), now I have not tasted a truffle or a piece of that fancy Goose liver in my life. I like a big juicy cheeseburger, ribs, turkey sandwhichs with lots of mayo and fries on the side....Now does that make me an idiot because I enjoy food that most of America enjoys as well. So since many of you food snobs have tasted those things and are upset that the Food Network is "dumbing down" programing, does that make you better than me? Do you spend more than I do? Why should Food Network cater to a bunch of "sophisticated" snobs who bitch and complain about everything and don't spend any money at places other than "Crate and Barrel" and the "Beverly Hills Cheese Store". Take some of that money you would spend on some foam at El Bulli and donate it to the local PBS station. Ming Tsai can make some more shows and maybe that child molester will start cooking again.

You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time!

So, what should I make at the hanger BBQ tonight before I go fly my whirlybird contraption? Maybe I can get some fancy food at Bristol Farms...that might make me smarter and fly better so I can make sure nobody is breaking into your house while you watch the Food Network! :shock:

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Chris, I think you've got your back up unnecessarily. Dumbing down Food Network is not about foie gras (which I've never had, either), truffles or not appreciating good barbeque.

It is about losing shows like Rosengarten's "Taste" or Bourdain's "A Cook's Tour" in favor of "Top Five," "Best Of" and other PM-Magazine-type crap that has little to do with understanding, appreciating or enjoying food. Some of the new stuff, "Date Plate," for instance, only uses food as a pretext. The new stuff is cheaply produced, designed to attract the almighty 18-24 demographic and generally witless.

THAT's what we're bitching about.

Now, I'm off to grill some hamburgers and drink a beer or two. Fly safe.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com