• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutella Confessions...

hedoness

My husband is obsessed with Nutella. He is German and grew up on the stuff. Some friends of his gave him the kilo millenium jar for christmas 1999 as a joke and I think he finished the entire thing in less than a month. But what's funny is when he moved to the US he swore that the nutella tasted different here. I thought he was nuts but we brought a jar back with us from Deutschland and I have to say, he was absolutely right. Blind taste test. The German stuff was a less sweet, more bitter choco-hazelnut flavored and more buttery. So now we have to schlep jars back with us whenever we travel, and save the american stuff for emergencies. Actually he dislikes the american stuff so much he eats peanut butter instead. I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed a difference?

BTW, given how much he loves Krispy Kreme, I think I have to either never tell him that restaurant in DC exists, or else bring him there as a surprise next time we are in town. Thanks for the tip!

Your husband is right, and not 'nuts', the only thing nuts are the nuts in Nutella, specifically "Hazelnuts" in the German version plus: NO 'peanuts', as in the American version.

I still have my friends in Germany send me each year about six (larger then US size) jars for my daughter who grew up in Germany. Even the additional shipping brings the price not too high for a better product

(Just opened one this morning / on Bagels)

Peter

I also concur with those who find a difference in the native German product

Hope I'm not being too hair-splitting, but I have to correct you there.

Nutella is an Italian product developed by the Ferrero company. The original cream was developed in 1946, based on the Giandujotti chocolates typical of Turin but exchanging coconut for cocoa butter. It was marketed worldwide as Nutella from a German associate company.

AHA!! This answers another question I have had for awhile: if it is Nutella in those unbelivably delicious Fererro Rocher chocolates :wub: I knew it I knew I knew it!!!! I think am going to have to go downstairs right this minute to buy some and celebrate the revelation.

Thank you!!!

If you love the Fererro-Rocher chocolates, try this: Take a waffle cone, slather Nutella on the inside of the cone, and eat. Tastes a lot like the Fererro-Rochers.

Nutella, mia bellaaaaaaaaaah.

I simply don't let it in the house. I saw it on the shelf today. Never shop when starving. The only saving grace was that I'm too damn short to reach the shelf its on. And I didn't feel like facing the public humiliation of climbing the shelving. I've done so to get that *last* bottle of diet vanilla pepsi....... When I lived in Germany, I would get the Aldi brand of Nutella, Nukota. It was damn good, from what I remember. I had a lot of weight to lose when I left Germany. :rolleyes::wub:

For all of you living in Germany here is what to look for!

Taboni,

thanks for the picture. I went back to my local store and hey! there it was. For some strange reason Nusspli lay hidden on the bottom shelf while all other spreads were placed at eye height. Makes me wonder if my shop-manager has an issue with nusspli :smile: .

Stimulated by this topic, I convinced a few friends to organize a small spread tasting comparing Nutella, Nusspli and a local product, Nudossi. It was striking how the tastes differed. The sweetness and aroma were what differed the most, with Nusspli the "mildest" in flavour and Nutella the most "powerfull".

In case you're interested in the tasting I put up a short post on Nutella on my weblog.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

They used to sell Nutella in small little plastic container thingies that comes with a scoop - you're supposed to eat them as it is. Very yummy indeed. It's somewhat like the insides (the melted chocolate) of a Ferrero Rocher (they both are manufactured by Ferrero). I now am addicted to Kinder Bueno and wish they sell the stuff inside Kinder Bueno in a jar - it's more nutty then Nutella but just as good. Now Nutella only comes in a jar and they're rather pricey but worth every dime. :biggrin:

I loved nutella on fresh croissants. Its also good on graham biscuits. I had a roommate that was allergic to wheat, and she had these fabulous expensive graham biscuits made without wheat...so much better than a graham cracker. It was a fitting vehicle for nutella. I'm now allergic to hazelnuts, but I enjoyed living vicariously through you. :biggrin:

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

I can't answer that, or the Mrs will - oh, wait. I thought the subtitle said who do you do with it. My bad. :laugh:

I love the stuff spread thin on nice, dark gingerbread. Chocolate, hazelnut, and ginger - too bad I'm at the office right now. :wub:

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

Nutella is an Italian product developed by the Ferrero company. The original cream was developed in 1946, based on the Giandujotti chocolates typical of Turin but exchanging coconut for cocoa butter. It was marketed worldwide as Nutella from a German associate company.

AHA!! This answers another question I have had for awhile: if it is Nutella in those unbelivably delicious Fererro Rocher chocolates :wub: I knew it I knew I knew it!!!! I think am going to have to go downstairs right this minute to buy some and celebrate the revelation.

Thank you!!!

If you love the Fererro-Rocher chocolates, try this: Take a waffle cone, slather Nutella on the inside of the cone, and eat. Tastes a lot like the Fererro-Rochers.

I am going to do the waffle cone thing... but I might even take it a step further and put something over the nutella that's in the cone... I have many ideas... piping chocolate mousse so it looks like a soft-serve ice-cream cone, but will be a chocolate-mousse cone with a Nutella surprise!

“Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.”

James Thurber (1894-1961), American writer and cartoonist.

Thank you!!!

I am going to do the waffle cone thing... but I might even take it a step further and put something over the nutella that's in the cone... I have many ideas... piping chocolate mousse so it looks like a soft-serve ice-cream cone, but will be a chocolate-mousse cone with a Nutella surprise!

Wow. That's inspired. What a great dessert for a dinner party. Must do this!

i love nutella. i was first turned onto it by a dear friend who has now passed on. he was greek and i am telling yall, he did things with that stuff that i am never going to figure out! i am addicted to the stuff. i use it in place of syrup on waffles or pancakes. on toast. on croissants and brioche. i would just sit and eat it out of the jar with a spoon if i wasnt afraid of the hippy repercussions!

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

Picture this: 10 pm on a July night, walking along the Locri lungomare, appreciating the breeze, admiring the lights of the discoteques, watching people walking in small groups and talking, laughing. Slowly the smell of cornetti freshly baked winds its way in my direction. I follow the scent to a little bancarella. Ah, there they are, all sweet golden dough and air, ready to be filled with whatever I desire. Ice-cream, marmalade, chantilly, flavoured creams. Nutella beckons...the hazelnut glory is piped into the cornetto through a small mouth, then followed, at my request, this once, by a bit of gelato alla crema. Sigh.

Naturally, I always have Nutella in the house. Ice cream topper, spread for a baquette, fruit dip, filling for croissants, for brioche, swirled into milk. If guests desire some flavouring to their coffee, that is not alcoholic, I offer them a spoon lightly coated with it. Oh, and wonderful addition to a peanut butter and banana panino.

I am always happy to see Kinder Ferrero products...has anyone had the chance to try the "Happy Hippo"? It is a white chocolate and wafer confection with hazelnuts and maybe a bit of almond. The filling is a white chocolate version of Nutella. Yummy, even if a bit sweeter than what I prefer. I do adore the little hippo shaped face too, it's just too perfect an invitation to partake of the sweet.

tu autem servasti bonum vinum usque adhuc

Nutellla....

Its bloody expensive where I live!

I resisted buying it the last three shopping trips.... Just went to the shelf EACH time looked longingly at the bottle, carressed ittt... then had to be dragged away!

I am going to buy me a bottle this weekend!

Rushina

Ooh, Kinder Bueno. I lived off those for the first 12 hours I was in Paris (hey, it was Sunday and everything else was closed around the hostel, and also what's wrong with eating chocolate/hazelnut stuff as a subsistence diet?).

Nutella. *swoons* Eating it off of a spoon isn't good enough? I've eaten it out of the jar with my tongue when faced with a lack of spoons.

The chocolate-hazelnut tarte in Herme's chocolate book is good, but not hazelnutty enough. I've never had German Nutella but maybe I should ask the German PC to bring some for me when he next visits.

Jennie

Nutella is heaven in a jar. Sometimes, when I am not eating it straight up on a spoon, I make little sandwich cookies with it. Take a bite and it oozes from the sides....it's delectable.

I had Kinder Bueno for the first time about two nights ago. I must say I think it has become a new favorite.

Is the core of those Ferrero Rocher chocolates Nutella or just something similar?...those are pretty tasty too!

I stopped buying them after my counsin and sister ate a whole jar with a spoon in 15 min. :angry: The best way to eat them with sensible portion control is to spread them onto French Toast and lock the jar away.

When I was little, I remembered there was a type of spread with peanut butter and something that resemble chocolate or Nutella.

Some things I've been eating lately with nutella...

Simple: ritz crackers dipped straight into the jar

Fancier: little toasts spread with a thin layer of mascarpone, then nutella, then a swirl of dulce de leche and a sprinkle of fleur de sel. this was a variation of something I read in amanda hesser's "mr. latte" book. it was great!

As a new person to egullet, I've enjoyed reading your nutella confessions!

Cheers, dahlsk

I would love to reveal what I like to do with it, but frankly, I am uncomfortable discussing it in a public forum :laugh:

I enjoy it straight out of the bottle, with a spoon.

Edited by Roger Troutman (log)

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

I confess:

I have never had nutella. Not a staple of the table growing up in NW Ohio. I ate skippy and grape jelly sandwiches, thank you very much.

Time to expand your horizons..... :laugh:

For anyone who has been testing cakes on the Pastry & Baking Banana Cake thread... Nutella tastes very good on this too.

• 3 weeks later...

Where have you people been all my life???

Nutella has only been in my kitchen for the last 7 years or so ... it was in a neighbours kitchen when I was a kid. They were from Sweden, and had many strange and wonderful items in their pantry: ketchup in toothpaste-tubes, those red waxed covered cheeses, and Nutella. I guess the closest thing we had in Vancouver was Koogle ... remember that flavoured peanut butter with the "koo-koo-koogly eyes"? Anyway, my mom wouldn't allow either in our our house (nor the tubes of ketchup) for fear they would corrupt or impressionable palates for the greater cuisines made up of Campbell's Mushroom soup on [insert name of meat here], and Velveeta on Wonderbread sandwhiches.

I re-discovered Nutella in Costco of all places. Already being a peanut-butter-a-holic, the conversion to Nutella was an easy one. There is always a jar in the pantry, and while I am the only one in the family who uses it I manage to use a jar a month.

My favorite use? Either with peanut butter and thinly sliced bananas on toast, or sandwiched between two ginger snaps. IKEA sells these really thin ginger snaps for about 75 cents a box that work really well.

Thanks for letting me share.

DA

during four years of high school, i brought a nutella sandwich almost every day for lunch. it eventually earned me a reputation...

now i tend towards:

-nutella panini ( i put salt on these along with the nutella, and they are best if the nutella starts to ooze out and get the tiniest bit singed )

-nutella stuffed naan. (buy the naan tho... not sure what would happen to nutella in a tandoor)

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!