• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutella Confessions...

hedoness

Nutella on my hamburger. Delicious.

Now that, I'll have to try! :huh: But, as I said before, you lather that stuff on just about anything and I'd eat it - and I bet it'd be great!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

when i was a kid on Sunday mornings my father (who was never, ever seen in the kitchen) would pull a jar of Nutella out of the cabinet which was too high for my brother and I to reach. Usually, the stuff would be greedily spread on freshly toasted bread. Every once in a while, though, my father would make french toast on a whim, and dollop nutella on top of that.

I wish the cabinet was still too high for me to reach.

How did I miss this thread?

I like to combine my two favorite international foods by spreading a decent layer of Nutella on top of a plain McVitie's Digestive. Works fine on graham crackers, too, but the dish loses some of its exotic appeal.

I confess.

I HATE nutella.

Cloying.

Too icky sweet.

Pain au chocolat. Yumm. Cinnamon toast? Midnight snack during an old movie. Nutella spread on bread? Yuck.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I made some really good gianduia cups for Christmas gifts last year....just like peanut butter cups, but without the peanut butter. Although, adding peanut butter to it would be a great addition....Hmmmm, gonna have to try that.

My daughter and I usually just dip our finger in the jar....only once a sitting, of course! :wink:

I remember traveling with a professor and 12 other students from my college in a classics seminar through Greece and Italy, about 20 years ago. Seemed as if we could never really be sure when we would get a meal, so we all stocked our backpacks with the necessities: fruit, cookies, crackers, bottled water and nutella. Nutella was the greatest. Shortbread cookies went well with it. You could slice an apple to dip in it. If you didn't want your "base" to be so sweet, you could use the crackers to dip in it. Ah, memories...

I just made chocolate-hazelnut gelato using Nutella...

gallery_26775_1623_23529.jpg

Last night I had a scoop with some blackberries, and it was a fabulous combo. The recipe is from Giada (!)...click here for a copy.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

General question on the spreadability of Nutella........ does it go well right out of the container to spread across the top of a cake or cheesecake, or could it stand a little heating in a water bath? I've seen recipes for Nutella icing that call for 1/2 Nutella and 1/2 vanilla icing and that just doesn't seem like the right thing to do........watering down the Nutella.

My experiences so far with the stuff only go as far as an open container with a spoon during varying degrees of inebriation, as the good lord intended. :biggrin:

Planning a devious new recipe for a gathering this weekend, and Nutella seems to be just the thing to take it right over the cliff.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

General question on the spreadability of Nutella........  does it go well right out of the container to spread across the top of a cake or cheesecake, or could it stand a little heating in a water bath?

Its about the consistency of peanut butter, probably slightly too firm to spread on a cake at room temperature.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

just nuke it for 15 sec and stir - then you can either drink it or use for spreading...your choice!

Thanks, I'll definitely use it for icing this weekend, BUT the next time my throat is feeling a little scratchy a swig or two may be good for what is ailing me! :smile:

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Okay, quick update on my Nutella adventure........

I should probably back up a little bit here. For several years I've been trying to convince my BBQ team captain to change our team name to "Satan's Glorious Victory"....just for one competition. No real reason, it just sounds like a fine name. A real attention getter. Well that hasn't gone anywhere, but the name has stuck with me. Sometime last week I realized that the title was probably more appropriate for a very, very chocolatey dessert......it's a big name to grow into but Nutella would obviously be involved on some level.

I began by making one chocolate oblivion torte per the Chocolate Bible recipe. It's a wonderful thing, a blank canvas that I thought could use the better part of a container of Nutella spread across the top. Fifteen or twenty seconds was indeed enough time in the microwave to soften it up a bit, and it was suprisingly easy to spread in a VERY thick layer. The rest will take some tweaking if it's truly going to be "Satan's Glorious Victory", but for the trial run I finished it off with eight Ferrero Rocher chocolates in a ring around the top and lightly toasted and crushed macadamia nuts covering the center.

I'll think of some way to take this recipe right over the cliff, but everyone seemed to be pretty, pretty, pretty happy with it tonight after dinner. My girlfriend was surprisingly quiet, eating it very slowly, and I thought "crap.....she hates the texture or something.....geez", but when she finally spoke she just said "I'm in awe right now". So the inaugural run was a victory.........a GLORIOUS victory (for the dark master)!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011