• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutella Confessions...

hedoness

I'm not addicted, but I do like it on salted crackers. And one time I was making a cake and didn't have time to make 2 different buttercreams (chocolate and orange), so I put a layer of nutella on in place chocolate buttercream. Everyone loved the cake.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Back in the days when we thought Heidi (read about her Here) might be able to talk, we thought her oral motor problems were the culprit. One day, her SLP (speech therapist) showed up with a jar of nutella and a popsicle stick, and we painted her upper lip and that area just above her upper lip with Nutella. She, who had never licked her lips before, licked every bit off.

The, she and I attacked the jar with a spoon. Next time I bought a jar, I also bought a can of redi whip (hangs head in shame). Now I whip the cream to go with The Jar of Nutella.

In honor of her first day of summer vacation from school, I bought a jar and we almost polished it off for breakfast. It was 2.5 servings. Who do they think they kidding on that nutrition label about serving sizes?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Try a few spoonsful in creme patisserie for filling profiteroles, I frost a hazelnut meal cake with nutella added to frosting, and is great softened then swirled through a cheesecake too!! :rolleyes:

Nutella is a great dip for thin pretzel sticks. Mmmmmm....it's got that whole sweet/salty thang goin' on.

At last!

The one and only time I had it -- got a sample, that cute little individual packet, at IACP -- I dipped Rolld Gold Sourdough Special Pretzels in it. I could easily become addicted to that, and I don't even much like sweets. But yeah -- sweet and salt, mmmmmmmmmm.

Two things...

1. In the world of hazelnut/chocolate combinations (belgian sea shells, bacci, ferrerro rocher, godiva open oyster) nutella is indeed wonderful but no where near the quality of flavor of Callebaut Gianduja (halzenut milk chocolate).

2. Theres a low carb version if nutella called twist (made with maltitol instead of sugar) that's okay but nowhere near as good. For some reason they add soy flour to it, which, although barely detectable, diminishes the experience.

Nutella is a great dip for thin pretzel sticks.  Mmmmmm....it's got that whole sweet/salty thang goin' on.

Trader Joes makes a honey whole wheat pretzel stick that I often dip in melted Belgium chocolate - I bet it would be great with Nutella.

I just remember that I used to make a guandjua mousse years ago - using callebaut - that would probably work with Nutella too - tho I have to agree with the last poster that the callebaut is better - more refined and less sugary (maybe we could say more European).

oh that would be a good name for the nutella dipped pretzel sticks:

Eurotrash Pretzel Sticks

Edited by tigerwoman (log)

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

• 7 months later...

I've had the green & black's nutella -divine perfect for the banana pressed sandwiches we made.

Recently though, I made a dense and damp chocolate loaf cake. Cake was delicious on day one, oh but soooooooooo yummy with a thin layer of nutella 4 days later.

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

A restaurant around the corner from me serves crepes with nutella and pears... yum.

When I was a child we never had nutella in out house but my grandmother always had it at hers - on homemade challah (I like it toasted so that the nutella gets warm and oozy)

get the nutella cold in the fridge and place in the middle of a croissant before aking, it melts as the croissant cooks and is amazing!

it also works well (though not as well) in hings like the pillsbury crescent rolls.

There is a much better version of nutella called nougatina. it is made by Cuba Venchi. The only place i have found it in the us so far is on the zingermans site but its pretty $$$. if anyone knows of other sources please tell. its a much deeper chocolate taste which i prefer

• 1 year later...

I just filled some wonton skins with Nutella, folded the skin over to make a little "ravioli" and fried them just until lightly browned on each side. I drained them on paper towels and sprinkled them with powdered sugar. YUMMY!

I saw Giada DiLaurentiis make this recipe a few weeks back.

I just filled some wonton skins with Nutella, folded the skin over to make a little "ravioli" and fried them just until lightly browned on each side.  I drained them on paper towels and sprinkled them with powdered sugar.  YUMMY!

I saw Giada DiLaurentiis make this recipe a few weeks back.

Omigod I have to try that! :biggrin:

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I love it on a sandwich with marshmallow fluff on white bread. yum yum!

I used to do that, but I also stuck it in the toaster until it was melty. Almost like a s'mores.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I put a little in a won-ton wrapper, fry it up and serve with a sauce (whatever I feel like coming up with) sometimes it is just choco and hazelnuts, other times it is a raspberry puree.....sometimes even some gelato.

Someone mentioned that Giada DeLaurentis did this on her show, I've been doing it for years. Love it!

Edited by Sheb (log)

My favourite way to eat this is to leave it in the fridge first, and then hack out chunks and eat them like chocolates.

Why is there no :shame: emoticon?

My second favourite presentation of Nutella was eaten on Thai pancakes on Phi Phi Island, in Thailand. I used to have one every day one my way to the beach. It was always melty on the warm chewy bread...*sigh.

My husband is obsessed with Nutella. He is German and grew up on the stuff. Some friends of his gave him the kilo millenium jar for christmas 1999 as a joke and I think he finished the entire thing in less than a month. But what's funny is when he moved to the US he swore that the nutella tasted different here. I thought he was nuts but we brought a jar back with us from Deutschland and I have to say, he was absolutely right. Blind taste test. The German stuff was a less sweet, more bitter choco-hazelnut flavored and more buttery. So now we have to schlep jars back with us whenever we travel, and save the american stuff for emergencies. Actually he dislikes the american stuff so much he eats peanut butter instead. I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed a difference?

BTW, given how much he loves Krispy Kreme, I think I have to either never tell him that restaurant in DC exists, or else bring him there as a surprise next time we are in town. Thanks for the tip!

I've found that chocolate tends to be sweeter in the US than on this side of the pond - and whenever we go to visit relations in America, we always have to cart loads of bars of Cadbury's chocolate because they prefer the British stuff. Crazy but true ... Mind you, when I was a kid and you couldn't get m'n'ms here, I used to bring those back.

Oh, what about a nutella peanut butter and banana sandwich? Haven't had it in ages, but it used to be a favourite. Come to think of it, perhaps I'd better pop out and get some nutella and bananas (pretty sure i have the peanut butter lurking in the fridge).

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I still go back to my childhood and eat it out of the jar; but with a spoon now and not my finger.

Around Philadelphia there is an abundance of pretzel products. Anderson's and Herr's sel peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets. I like Anderson's better. What is great is dipping these guys into nutella!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My favourite way to eat this is to leave it in the fridge first, and then hack out chunks and eat them like chocolates.

Why is there no :shame: emoticon?

My second favourite presentation of Nutella was eaten on Thai pancakes on Phi Phi Island, in Thailand. I used to have one every day one my way to the beach. It was always melty on the warm chewy bread...*sigh.

If you'll click the "Show All" link at the bottom of the emoticon list, it will come up with a larger list which has a "blush" :blush: icon. It works well for slightly shamed embarrasment! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

LOVE Nutella. Introduced a friend from Boulder to it while we were in Italy. Now, HE'S addicted too!

Nutella filled crepes with a bit of whipped cream

Strawberries dipped Nutella warmed up a bit

Nutella filled cornettes

Nutella gelato

Nutella topping home made eclaires

Nutella filled crispy buttery croissants...my choice everytime over pain au chocolat

OK, OK...sometimes I just mainline it... :biggrin:

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog