• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutella Confessions...

hedoness

I also concur with those who find a difference in the native German product

Hope I'm not being too hair-splitting, but I have to correct you there.

Nutella is an Italian product developed by the Ferrero company. The original cream was developed in 1946, based on the Giandujotti chocolates typical of Turin but exchanging coconut for cocoa butter. It was marketed worldwide as Nutella from a German associate company.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

I sit corrected. I always assumed it was German since that is where I first had it. Thanks for the correction. I still like Nusspli better..too bad I have never seen it over here.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I sit corrected.  I always assumed it was German since that is where I first had it.  Thanks for the correction.  I still like Nusspli better..too bad I have never seen it over here.

Though I have been living in Germany for 4 years I haven't noticed Nusspli around, but it must be a local thing. I live in the former East part and here everywhere you go you find Nudossi, a local brand. It's not so cocoa-laden as Nutella but has much more hazelnuts. Sometimes you'll even get a glass with a thin layer of hazelnut oil separating at the top: sounds gross but tastes great.

I'll start looking for Nusspli, from your description it must taste great. Thanks for the tip.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Hi !

I was watching Jay Leno the other night... I belive it was Friday night April 23rd show and Rocco ( THE chef of "The Restaurant" reality show) did a nutella on what seemed to be french bread ( cut full lengthwise) with bananas on top then sprinkled white sugar over all ... then crystalized it like a crème brulée ( wich toasted the bread also a lillte) and put the other half of the bread on top to make a sandwich.

Jay seemed to think it was Grrreat!

I also concur with those who find a difference in the native German product

Hope I'm not being too hair-splitting, but I have to correct you there.

Nutella is an Italian product developed by the Ferrero company. The original cream was developed in 1946, based on the Giandujotti chocolates typical of Turin but exchanging coconut for cocoa butter. It was marketed worldwide as Nutella from a German associate company.

AHA!! This answers another question I have had for awhile: if it is Nutella in those unbelivably delicious Fererro Rocher chocolates :wub: I knew it I knew I knew it!!!! I think am going to have to go downstairs right this minute to buy some and celebrate the revelation.

Thank you!!!

“Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.”

James Thurber (1894-1961), American writer and cartoonist.

Hi !

I was watching Jay Leno the other night... I belive it was Friday night April 23rd show and Rocco ( THE chef of "The Restaurant" reality show) did a nutella on what seemed to be french bread ( cut full lengthwise) with bananas on top then sprinkled white sugar over all ... then crystalized it like a crème brulée ( wich toasted the bread also a lillte) and put the other half of the bread on top to make a sandwich.

Jay seemed to think it was Grrreat!

Sound yummy and quick. Did they actually take a brulee torch to it?

“Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.”

James Thurber (1894-1961), American writer and cartoonist.

re: Nutella in Europe vs. Nutella Stateside: They really are different!

I live in Germany now, and when I went home (Washington, DC) for a visit recently, a friend produced her jar of Nutella from the cupboard as we sat down to breakfast. I happily slathered some on my toast, only to find that the taste was just a bit... odd. Not what I was used to. Still fine, I suppose, but certainly different, and not the one I had fallen in love with over here.

I read the ingredients, and made a mental note of the 'peanut oil' listed near or at the top of them. I have yet to check again now that I'm back in DE, but I'm pretty sure they use hazelnut oil in the version over here. I'll check when I go to the store (er, I can't keep a jar in our apt, as it would be gone within days. or :unsure: hours?)

Supermarket report for anyone still interested: Nutella in Germany has 'vegetable oil' listed, whereas in the States they use 'peanut oil'. I'm sure this changes the taste a bit, and there could possibly be a few more differences between the two recipes (I don't have the US jar to compare here, I'm just going by memory!)

my brother's girlfriend introduced me to this trick - make a chocolate roulade sponge (the fatless sponge, can't remember technical term, Genoise?), smear lavishly with Nutella, stud with fresh strawberries, roll up. Snarl at anyone who comes near as you trough the lot. With cream.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

oh, wow. I've seen that. I'm always skeptical about foods I perceive as knockoffs of something I love, but Zentis has pretty good food items. Jams in particular. Perhaps they are looking to corner the market on 'stuff to spread on bread'.

I'll give it a shot the next time I allow myself down that aisle. :smile:

We have a brand new Shaw's Supermarket in my town, with a huge selection of imported items...two aisles worth. In addition to carrying 10 varieties of Ritter Sports bars.... Thay also carry Nocello, the italian version of Nutella. Because it was 30 cents cheaper than the american Nutella, I bought a jar for my daughter and stuck it in her Easter basket....

Alas, I did not get to sample it... but since it disappeared so fast I imagine it was quite good.

Not so far from the Rocco thing, but a classic: spread Nutella and banana slices over crepes, roll 'em up, bake about 10 minutes and sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top. Simple and delicious.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

My husband and I do two things:

(1) Take two pieces of bread. Slather one slice generously, if not greedily, with peanut butter. Slather the other one, just as generously, with Nutella. Slap them together and chomp down. Yum. As someone mentioned, it's just like a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup.

(2) Take a spoon. Dive into the peanut butter jar and pull out a huge blob of peanut butter. Take same spoon and shove it into the Nutella, coming out with another huge blob of goodness. Lick and enjoy. Of course, you must then go back to the Nutella with a clean spoon (if you're so inclined) and scrap away the smudges of peanut butter.

Edited by yorkshirepud (log)
Adele

For Easter dinner my Sister experimeted with Nutella as filling for an Eastern European dessert known in Serbian as Palacinka.

"Grand Mother's Palacinkas Recipe", Courtesy of Sister - Verbatim:

Batter:

1 c flour

3 eggs

1 1/2 c milk (real milk)

1 T melted butter

let stand 15 minutes

use 2 T batter

freeze well

can't remember how many it makes...

12 oz cottage cheese

1 egg

1/4 c powder sugar

2 T lemon juice

2 T cornstarch

spread filling evenly over crepe

roll up loosely

12 - 16 fit in 9 x 12 pan best if glass pan so you can see how brown on

bottom

(IE my jelly ones got overdone)

pour cream over edges & seams (just so you can see it)

1 jar of nutella or same size of jelly makes 10

bake at 325 for 20 to 30 min

nutella ones get that "crunchiness" which I personally like

jelly ones should be more crowded in pan

whereas cottage cheese ones kinda puff up a little

She liked them but I preferred the traditional cheese and jelly version.

OOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Nutella Ice Cream!!!!!! Iven better if served with a Dulce de Leche hot sauce and oven a sugar cone!

I also like nutella over bread with bananas, which seems to be a favorite!

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

nutella ice cream??

sounds amazing - would you just stir it into vanilla custard base before freezing?

i wonder if all european countries have a nutella knock-off. spain's version, nocillo is a pale imitation of the american version (can't speak to the original).

it always tasted like the nuts or oil was slightly rancid.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I like it in a variation of the classic Elvis sandwich, with bananas and peanut butter.

Works great that way with the Toast N Serve bags.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host