• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutella Confessions...

hedoness

Is anyone here as addicted to Nutella as I am?

Sometimes I just eat it out of the jar. My confession would be how much I went through one very indulgent weekend... but this is my first "New Topic" and maybe I should wait until I know you all a bit better?? :blink:

I have some other Nutella addicted friends, too. We got to talking about some of our favorite things to do with the stuff, from making Nutella parfaits to Nutella & Buttercream on Ladyfinger sandwiches...I want more ideas and more confessions.

I also want to try and make a version of the stuff on my own.

Do you have an unusual Nutella Snack, Confession or Recipe?

Thanks-

“Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.”

James Thurber (1894-1961), American writer and cartoonist.

i've made a nutella refrigerator pie before. that was really good.

What was in the pie? I have an undefined Nutella craving and I want some inspiration...

Ah, another Nutella addict has emerged! Had the stuff on a trip abroad and found it a delightful alternative to jam and jelly ....

This is a treasure chest of Nutella recipes in which I have found some "gems":

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/nutella/nutella.html

I have personal, intimate experience with this one for Rugelach!! :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

i've made a nutella refrigerator pie before.  that was really good.

What was in the pie? I have an undefined Nutella craving and I want some inspiration...

mm..it was a chocolate crumb crust, nutella and homemade whipped cream blended together, and peeled hazelnuts (that was a bit of a problem - high heat til the skinns char off)

let me see if i can locate the web recipe i used.

Hi hedoness,

having grown up (mostly) in Italy, Nutella is both a sweet childhood memory and a trauma :raz: . I always had to fight with my younger brother to get some. Our mother, probably trying to prevent us from eating too much of it, always bought the small, tumbler sized glass. My brother would inevitably be the first to jump on it, grab a rosetta (an Italian puffed bread roll, with practically no crumb) make a whole into the roll and POUR nutella inside the bread, using as much as two thirds of the glass in one go. As you notice thirty years later I still didn't get over it :biggrin:

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

i've made a nutella refrigerator pie before.  that was really good.

mm..it was a chocolate crumb crust, nutella and homemade whipped cream blended together, and peeled hazelnuts (that was a bit of a problem - high heat til the skinns char off)

let me see if i can locate the web recipe i used.

Excellent!! I must try... it is also off the wonderful link Gifted Gormet provided.

(I like how they post it has 641 calories/serving ... I think once you are making a Nutella pie, you might be taking a break from calorie counting...:laugh:)

(I like how they post it has 641 calories/serving  ... I think once you are making a Nutella pie, you might be taking a break from calorie counting...:laugh:)

Then there is my perpetually angst-producing question: Who in the hell decides the size of a serving anyway??? :hmmm:

(I like how they post it has 641 calories/serving   ... I think once you are making a Nutella pie, you might be taking a break from calorie counting...:laugh:)

Then there is my perpetually angst-producing question: Who in the hell decides the size of a serving anyway??? :hmmm:

Could they be the same people who decide dress sizes? Whoever they are they must be stopped. I think the serving size on Nutella is like 1 Tablespoon or something-- ridiculous!!!

I have dreams of those donughts......

I introduced my class to it earlier this year and now we are completely obsessed. The top two favorites are spread on grahm crackers (sometimes we add peanut butter) and on hard pretzles.

At Costco they sell Nuttella in individual sized packages in the shape of a Nuttella jar.

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

oh hedoness and GG - that pie was definitely rich. Not light at all, but it was damn good. It was the pie i made for last Thanksgiving's dessert, since no one was particularly wedded to pumpkin or sweet potato.

My husband is obsessed with Nutella. He is German and grew up on the stuff. Some friends of his gave him the kilo millenium jar for christmas 1999 as a joke and I think he finished the entire thing in less than a month. But what's funny is when he moved to the US he swore that the nutella tasted different here. I thought he was nuts but we brought a jar back with us from Deutschland and I have to say, he was absolutely right. Blind taste test. The German stuff was a less sweet, more bitter choco-hazelnut flavored and more buttery. So now we have to schlep jars back with us whenever we travel, and save the american stuff for emergencies. Actually he dislikes the american stuff so much he eats peanut butter instead. I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed a difference?

BTW, given how much he loves Krispy Kreme, I think I have to either never tell him that restaurant in DC exists, or else bring him there as a surprise next time we are in town. Thanks for the tip!

At Costco they sell Nuttella in individual sized packages in the shape of a Nuttella jar.

What Costco? Where??? I would LOVE to get my hands on itty-bitty Nutellas...I'm pretty sure they wll be in my dreams tonight..."must--have---baby-squeezy-nutellas...."

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

What Costco? Where??? I would LOVE to get my hands on itty-bitty Nutellas...I'm pretty sure they wll be in my dreams tonight..."must--have---baby-squeezy-nutellas...."

I've seen them at Costcos in Virginia and Maryland :smile:

Costco in Atlanta :biggrin:

My husband is obsessed with Nutella. He is German and grew up on the stuff. Some friends of his gave him the kilo millenium jar for christmas 1999 as a joke and I think he finished the entire thing in less than a month. But what's funny is when he moved to the US he swore that the nutella tasted different here. I thought he was nuts but we brought a jar back with us from Deutschland and I have to say, he was absolutely right. Blind taste test. The German stuff was a less sweet, more bitter choco-hazelnut flavored and more buttery. So now we have to schlep jars back with us whenever we travel, and save the american stuff for emergencies. Actually he dislikes the american stuff so much he eats peanut butter instead. I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed a difference?

BTW, given how much he loves Krispy Kreme, I think I have to either never tell him that restaurant in DC exists, or else bring him there as a surprise next time we are in town. Thanks for the tip!

I have often wondered if there was a difference! I have tasted the stuff in Belguim awhile back, but that was a while ago. I figured there might be a difference, I am not at all surprised if they distribute a sweeter version for American tastes.

And I need an excuse to go to DC for those doughnuts, too.

I've seen them at Costcos in Virginia and Maryland :smile:

OOOhhhhh..... baby squeezy nutellas! There was another thread up about how there is a trend towards mini sizes of things... for cuteness, guilt-reduction, etc.. Baby Nutellas might help me with portion control.... however, buying them from Costco may not :biggrin:

Nothing better than simply Nutella and butter on brioche, or a nice thick slice of challah. I also concur with those who find a difference in the native German product

(although I personally prefer the Nusspli brand of chocolate/hazelnut spread)

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

For lmy picnic lunch on the Mall, with the Capital at one end and the Washington Monument on the other, I had a petite pain spread with nuttella from the individual size servings. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: