• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dandelion Greens

Bicycle Lee

I was wondering if the dandelion greens that you buy in stores is the same as the stuff that grows profusely all around. I just wanted to know before I go and pick a lot of them and find out that they are no good. Thanks

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Yep, same thing. Probably grown on richer soil and picked sooner than the ones you might pull out of the yard.

If they have blossomed, the greens are too bitter to eat--you must pick them as soon as they emerge from the ground. Round here, folks eat them wilted with bacon grease and cider vinegar, and maybe a little sugar. Sliced onions tossed into the grease and vinegar, if you like.

sparrowgrass

The dandelions sold in stores are not typically the same type of dandelions as the ones poking up out of the sidewalks. Both kids of dandelion are generally related being fellow members of the composit family (along with lettuces, sunflowers, and artichokes) but the sidewalk dandelions are yellow-flowered plants, squat, tough and bitter while store-bought dandies are lanky, milder flavored and bloom blue. Store-bought dandelions are a chicory, closely related to escaroles and radicchios. The variety most commonly cultivated is called catalogna. In some places catalogna dandies may have escaped cultivation to grow as weeds. The typical weedy dandelion is edible, especially when young but not worth planting for sale.

(my husband Andy G. wrote this, he's been organically farming veggies for over 20 years. I would add that if you're going to raid neighbors dandelions make sure they don't spray them....) Below is a photo of dandelion greens, Catalogna variety, grown on our farm and ready for sale at farmers market:

dandelion.jpg

chardgirl, those look beautiful.

I just picked up a bunch tonight. Anyone have other suggestions on preparation? I've had them as part of a mixed green salad with sweeter vinaigrettes. I've got plenty so I'd love to hear of other ways to use them while they're fresh!

One of my favorites!

Just make sure that where you pick them is not near a dog traffic site... :shock:

I saute mine in olive oil with garlic, lemon, anchovies, a little chile pepper.

Throw in a handful of linguine and dust with pecorino or fried bread crumbs and it's divine!

Or instead of pasta, stir them in while you brown a good pork sausage. Slice some tomatoes in the pan, add a little red wine vinegar, cover, and braise till the sausage is done. All you need is some sturdy toasted bread rubbed with garlic and a glass of red wine...

My local farmer's market has had them for weeks. Between the favas, artichokes, and dandelions, all I've been eating is green. I'm so happy it's spring!

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

HI,

I have vague memories of my grandfather who was born in Italy, getting up before dawn to gather dandelion greens from the golf course to make soup. I regret not having gotten his recipe, and our family seems to have lost it along the way. Does anyone have a recipe for Dandelion Soup?

Luckily, there are greens at the Farmers Market here, adn I do not have to stroll through the golf course at 4am.

Thanks

In the current issue of Saveur there is a recipe for a fritatta (sp?) from the Rioja using either costmary or dandelion greens. It was served as a tapas plate, sounded delicious.

Any fellow Greeks on here will know "horta" (as they are known) is a staple at every meal.

The Greeks, usually just boil them until they are very tender, drain well, then pour olive oil, salt, and sometimes fresh lemon juice.