• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Coffeehouses

menton1

Anybody have some good ideas for places to go "after the movies" or when it's late and you just want to have a light something and coffee-- Starbucks is predictable and boring, I prefer it much more in the AM hours.

One of our favorites is the Coffee Tree Cafe on Palisade Avenue in Fort Lee. Nice environment, bustling but not noisy, good coffee, and they have burgers if you're hungry as well as nice pastries and cakes, and a terrific frozen yogurt that they can swirl in many flavors.

Where's your favorite coffee bar at night?

Having lived in Rutherford for four years until recently... I can sadly advise that although Cafe Eros on Park Ave has a very nice atmosphere and a pleasant covered patio in the back - it's overpriced and neither the desserts nor the coffee drinks are especially good. The owners are Greek and have some wonderful baklava and other homemade Greek pastries but the other desserts are more or less like a high end version of the Sysco frozen stuff - overly sweet and not memorable.

Cafe Ecelctic on Bloomfield Ave in Montclair is another story. They have good coffee and decent espresso (I'm very particular about espresso - my version of "decent" is most people's "very good"). I especially like the espresso con panna. They make it with whipped cream floated on espresso and caramel syrup drizzled on the top. Sip the espresso through the whipped cream and syrup and be sure to make it a double - delicious. I've only had the pastries on one or two occasions but they were very good.

It's only a few hundred yards from the Clearview Cinema and just a short block up from the Wellmont. Nice post-movie stop.

there is a place on franklin ave in nutley called st honore cafe. very nice and great desserts & coffee. only problem is that they have iron chairs with no cushions and after 10 minutes your butt starts to hurt. might put a damper on the evening if you plan to relax and chat a while. there is also one on broad street in bloomfield and the name escapes me at the moment. it's right near holsteens, the home made ice cream place. they have tables and chairs and also a few couches. they make a great torte della nonna and have gellato in many different flavors.

I enjoy the coffee drinks at Cafe Eclectic, but I have found the cake and desserts to be subpar--sickly sweet, pre-fab and mass produced.

We enjoy the pastries at Marzullo's, which is near Walnut Street and Grove Street in Montclair. It was closed due to a fire for a long time, but I think that it's open now. Go there in the warm weather and sit outside!

I've never had a good dessert at Cafe Beethoven in Chatham. Someone must explain to me how they stay in business.

there is also one on broad street in bloomfield and the name escapes me at the moment. it's right near holsteens, the home made ice cream place. they have tables and chairs and also a few couches. they make a great torte della nonna and have gellato in many different flavors.

do you mean cafe tartufo? i haven't been to that one, but there's also one on bloomfield ave in montclair across from the clairidge. i'm not sure if they're related. it's OK, not great.

also in montclair: marzullo's on grove st. (near the corner of walnut), and the coffee and tea cafe on valley rd. across from tierney's. this place is very popular, but it's big so there's usually always a place to sit. good desserts, espresso can be good but it really depends on who makes it.

In Emerson there is Cafe Terrana which has nice coffee and dessserts, fairly reasonable. Chairs are not comfortable but atmosphere is pleasant and relaxed.

Has regular Italian food too. Gelato.

In Oradell, there's Cool Beans which is a coffee house where there is often music.

Expensive desserts and coffee. But some very nice teas and drinks. Atmosphere is very relaxed if you're into chairs-out-of-your-garage chic. Is comfortable place to hang and lounge on a sofa if the place is not overrun by kids.

Edited by dumpling (log)

The crowd is definitively Gen X (or whatever they are calling 20-somethings now) but Cafe Archetypus in Edgewater is a really cool looking place, and they have a wide array of coffee drinks (including soy milk cappuccinos and mocha drinks for those of us who cant drink milk) and desserts. I've never had the actual food items there but they have sandwiches and salads and pastas as well.

The place sort of looks like the inside of a whale's stomach (like in the old Disney Pinnochio movie) or something out of H.R. Giger's sktechbook.

The place is maybe not even 5 minutes from the multiplex complex in Edgewater.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I like Victoria's in Teaneck on Queen Anne Rd. It's a tiny remodeled house with lots of charm. The desserts are pretty good and they still serve cappucinos in the tall glass mugs -- not cardboard cups like Starbucks.

I've been to Cool Beans in Oradell. For the most part it has become a teenager hangout. I just see too many of my sons' friends when I am there!

Janbee

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

there is also a place on main street in little falls, close to the loews in wayne. again, i apologize, i forget the name. they have a wide variety of flavored coffees and desserts. also in freehold on main street is the cornerstone cafe. they serve lunch & dinner but also have coffee and desserts.

I'll second Victoria's...and I've never felt rushed out of there, either. Good selection of teas, too! And in nicer weather (it's coming, it's coming!), they also have outdoor seating.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Small World Coffee in Princeton is great, though the movie theatre is Princeton is less so. They roast their own coffee; their grumpy monkey blend is strong and tasty. They have decent pastries too, though the new french place next to the record exchange has amazing coffee eclairs.