• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston- Midtown Organic Farmer's Market

brngckn

Wowser. I wonder if this is meant to displace the market in the Heights. She was involved in that, too. Hopefully she has gotten the city food inspector nazis on board for this one.

I won't be able to make it for several weeks so I hope someone does and reports back.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I still get regular e-mails from blvd bistro (I signed up for the mailing list a while back) and according to those Pope is trying to start as many markets as possible. So the one in the hights is still going on along with this one (she started this one in Feb I think).

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

That is great news, Elie. The more markets the merrier and maybe we will get some of the specialty farmers to participate. Hopefully, the timing will be planned so that they won't compete and there will be markets available for folks on different schedules.

I really see an opportunity here in the Bay Area. There is already a market as such in Seabrook for plants, antiques and such. Folks come down here on the weekends to buy fresh seafood so I think the whole concept is ripe for expansion. Maybe when I retire in about three years I will start agitating. :laugh: But I would hope that someone sees the possibilities before then.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I had checked out the organic market at taffia on a recent visit to The Breakfast Klub, but I did not know that the inside of the restaurant also had booths set up. Today, I bought exquisite chocolate from brownbag chocolates, some baklava and good conversation from Michael Gurnas ( had taken an excellent pastry class from him at Fiesta recently), and talked about salt with Monica Pope. Her restaurant has a table salt which includes this magical smoked salt as one of it s components. She gave me some smoked salt and some apricot coloured salt from Australia (they use that one in their butter).

This was a great morning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This weekend I paid a visit to T'fia, not to eat at the restaurant (although I plan to soon!), but to check out the farmer's market.

What a blast! Despite the rain, Monica had an excellent turnout of local growers and food artisans. The largest grower present had loads of Swiss Chard (mostly rainbow, some green), herbs, bok choi, dandelion greens, various lettuces, baby carrots, cauliflower, and a variety of kales. It was gorgeous! Her prices were excellent as well - I got two bunches (large!) of chard for $4, and I usually pay that for one bunch of organic chard at Central Market.

Inside, I met an artisan chocolate maker who specialized in unusual chocolate flavors - my favorite was a dark chocolate with tequila and ancho chile. My husband liked the dark chocolate with pistachios and dried cherries. There were a number of breads, scones, and pastries available, as well as cheese straws and ginger snaps from a non-profit producer whose proceeds all go to a home for those with mental retardation. I met a chicken farmer whose pastured chickens have access to grass and plenty of room to scratch... I bought a chicken from him that had just been processed the day before, and we roasted and ate it last night. It was SO moist and tender, and had great flavor! Monica was there selling scones, there was someone selling incense and someone else selling handmade purses - the atmosphere was so happy!

As an added bonus, we got there in time to attend a kitchen demo with Scott Tycer of Aries. We talked about local, seasonal produce and some of his efforts to incorporate more of it into his menus, and then we followed him into the kitchen where we watched him prepare the chard from outside and turn it into a lovely little munchable - a savory thyme pastry filled with the simplest braised greens with cream and bacon. Mmm.

I haven't been to Pope's market in the Heights, so I don't know how this one compares. But I do know that I will be back, regularly, to support this worthwhile venture!

I was planning on going this weekend, especially because I heard about the chicken guy and the Tycer demonstration. However the bad weather and the my son coming down with a cold prevented us from going. Thanks for the good report.

Moderators-

Please merge this thread with the previous Maidtown Farmer's market one.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I think I did the merge right.

This is really exciting. I don't get "into town" very often on weekends but I just might make a special trip for this one. I am intrigued by the chickens.

Let's keep this thread going with any reports on what is available. We live in a wasteland for farmer's markets and any efforts should be encouraged in my humble opinion.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Only the Bayou City could rock out a farmer's market like that--gourmet chocolate and conversation with a local chef?! Next you'll tell me traffic is lighter and city infrastructure is more navigable than Austin.... :cool::wink:

Don't push it Jess ... I'm gearing for a move back to Austin and was just visiting in Houston, and I'm kinda afraid that the answer may be 'yes.' I don't think either of us really want to hear that!!!

The market sounds wonderful, and futher, it sounds like there is a lot of market activity in Houston. I didn't know that Fiesta had classes???!!!

Austin has had a Saturday market for the last year or so, smack downtown. There's another farmers' market out on Burnet (help me Jess, do I mean Lamar??) that's run by Hill Rylander, scion of an eponymous, one time local grocery chain in Austin, and the Comptroller's (Carole Keeton Strayhorn) ex. It is run in a manner that would go a long way to possibly explaining the fate of the grocery chain.

And of course the Farmer's Market in Dallas is sort of a mess ... lots of furniture, tchatchkes, and reselling of produce purchased from many of the wholesale purveyors surrounding the market sheds. Too bad, it's a good physical facility in a good part of downtown.

So Houston gets the golden tomato award by a mile.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

I am intrigued by the chickens.

The farmer who brought the chickens won't be back every week. Apparently, he has specific processing days (Fridays, I believe, about every 6 weeks) and brings his chickens the following day. It's too small of an operation for him to have chickens every week! If you are interested in the chickens, it might be a good idea to call t'afia and see when he'll be back next.

I had heard about the farmer's market in Austin, but it opened up after we moved to Houston so I have never been. I simply do not understand why there are so few true farmer's markets in Texas... my mother has a great one in Decatur, AL, so why can't we have more of them here???

This is a great start, though, and I am thankful. Can't wait for the 'maters to start showing up. :biggrin:

I am intrigued by the chickens.

The farmer who brought the chickens won't be back every week. Apparently, he has specific processing days (Fridays, I believe, about every 6 weeks) and brings his chickens the following day. It's too small of an operation for him to have chickens every week! If you are interested in the chickens, it might be a good idea to call t'afia and see when he'll be back next.

I had heard about the farmer's market in Austin, but it opened up after we moved to Houston so I have never been. I simply do not understand why there are so few true farmer's markets in Texas... my mother has a great one in Decatur, AL, so why can't we have more of them here???

This is a great start, though, and I am thankful. Can't wait for the 'maters to start showing up. :biggrin:

Darn it, I should've gone rain or shine illness or not :smile: . Oh well, I will update this thread if I get any t'afia e-mails about the "chicken guy". Rebecca did he have any eggs for sale at all? I would think he must have some and that also would be great.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Elie, he did have eggs for sale, as did a couple of vendors upstairs. the folks upstairs were strictly egg outfits, no broilers or fryers, so I'll bet they will be back every week.

Rebecca-

Thanks for the update, that sounds very good. I guess Pope got around the Health Department problem that she faced in the Heights market by simply selling the perishables inside the restaurant- smart move. We are palnning on heading over there this Saturday.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

According to an e-mail I got today, the "chicken guy" from Stephenson Farms sill be there. Here is a copy of the list of vendors from the e-mail:

incredible local produce from animal farm, gundermann farms, lola daniel/urban farm, last organic outpost

& country boy’s treasures

cut flowers from sown and grown

organic, fair-trade coffee from katz coffee

handmade, artisanal chocolates from brown paper chocolates

scones & prepared foods from chef monica pope

breads & baked goods from kraftsmen

organic pastry from pastry to the people

pastured poultry from stephenson farms

gingersnaps, cheesesnaps, fruitcake from alicia lee with sales benefiting the residents of The Center/Willow River Farms,

handmade incense and oils from 360 degrees to elevation

and at the crafts table this week…. "Bob & Truffle"featuring hand knit, hand crocheted, and sewn items, as well as a large, creative collection of marble magnets.

Elie

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Hmm, that's good! I am a bit confused, though. When I spoke with Mr. Stephenson last Saturday, he said that he wouldn't have chickens every week. I called the farm and left a message to find out for sure; when they call me back I will let you know what they say they'll have at the market tomorrow.

Deb Stephenson just called me back, and said that they actually will not be back at the T'afia farmer's market until May 29th. She said they should have around 100 chickens at that time (as well as eggs), but if you want to make sure you get one (or two, or three...) you can call and reserve them for pickup at the market.

Here's their information:

Stephenson Farms is a small family farm located about 12 miles south of Clear Lake City in Santa Fe, TX. Our goal is to provide the Houston/Galveston area with farm fresh Grassfed Beef and Pastured Poultry products of the highest quality available. We raise and process our livestock under clean, healthy, humane, and environmentally responsible conditions. We produce eggs and broilers from Pastured Poultry and much of our Grassfed Beef comes from naturally lean, Texas Longhorn cattle.

All of our livestock are raised in the open air and sunshine. We routinely rotate them to fresh clean pastures to prevent the need for medicated feeds or antibiotics. Our chickens forage on grass and insects all day and are fed a mixture of grains, soybeans, and a kelp-based vitamin and mineral supplement.

The eggs are hand-gathered daily and are available year-round. Fresh broilers are available spring and fall. They are meticulously processed and picked up on the farm the same day. (Limited supply of frozen chicken is available summer and winter.) Grassfed Beef is processed late spring and fall at a local family-owned state-inspected processing facility. Beef is sold in hanging halves and quarters. Our beef production is limited. Call or write for availability.

Stephenson Farms, Deb and Steve Stephenson, 11607 29th St., Santa Fe TX 77510. (409) 925-1815. E-mail: SSFARMS@aol.com

hmm... The text of the e-mail might be just a generic list of the "usual" vendors and does not reflect accuratly who will or will not be at the market at a specific weekend. Thanks for the update.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 3 weeks later...

Last Saturday, my wife went to the T'afia and the Onion Creek farmers' markets. (The danger of the Onion Creek market is it is a five minute walk from our house :shock: )

She picked up some amazing chocolates at each. I can't remember the name of the chocolatier at T'afia. She bought chocolate laced with tequila and pepper. At Onion Creek, she purchased sugar free truffles you cannot tell were sugar free. Truly a chocolate bomb. You can only eat one at a single serving. They paired really well with a nice bordeaux. The chocloatier was Brown Bag Chocolates.

As for the markets, they seem to be building to a critical mass. We had been to Onion Creek market about two months ago and saw only 5 vendors, all selling soap. Now there are fresh herbs, some organic fruits and vegetables, and a chef each week providing a tasting exhibition. What she really wants is someone to start selling fresh goat's milk so she can make cheese.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

LDLee, where is the Onion Creek market? Sounds like it's worth checking out!

The chocolatier at T'afia is BrownBag Chocolates, as well. But I have never seen him bring truffles to T'afia; maybe he brings different stuff to the different markets?

Last time I was at T'afia, Gunderson farms had tiny Texas peaches. Poor guys - I talked to one of the sons, and he said it's driving him nuts because with all the rain the peach skins are just slipping right off when he picks them. The peaches were good, if a little small. But then again, I'm from Georgia, so I'm used to a whole different type of summer peach...

Onion Creek is in the Heights, 3106 White Oak Blvd near Oxford, between Studewood and Heights Blvd.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

I finally had a chance to go the market this weekend. It's small, but there are some marvelous vendors. I got some lovely sunflowers, blueberries, tequila/ancho/almond chocolate, linzer tart, and a grilled veggie sandwich. Of course, I sampled much more. :raz: An urban gardener had the most amazingly big beautiful cabbage! Hoping I can return again very soon.

The chocloatier was Brown Bag Chocolates.

Correction to a previous post. My wife informed me the chocolatier at the Onion Creem market (the sugar free truffles) is Simply Chocolate. The one at T'afia is Brown Paper Chocolates.