• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montana/Utah/ Idaho restaurants ?

It is a shame that Utah relies so heavily on fickle tourists and virtually tasteless locals. This valley and its surrounding areas have so much potential and a bounty of nearby seasonal product. Morgan Valley lamb is some of the best lamb I have ever had in my life, our corn is amazing as well, there are incredible porcinis to be foraged from the Mountains to the east and there are more local growers producing great vegetables....but what lacks is a stable business environment. I have often dreamed of one day opening a fine dining restaurant in Utah, and the more I work in the industry here, I feel less inclined to do so.

I'm an idealist by nature, and I could envision there being room for a destination restaurant here in the same vein as those found around the world, but we'll see if that ever comes to fruition.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

I just got back from SLC and found some good chow. The Red Iguana was great for mole. The waiter let me try all 6 varieties (the black and the yellow were my faves). Don't miss Ruths' Diner out in a nearby Canyon for brunch outside on their shaded patio. It's well worth the wait for a table. Hires Big H for burgers is also a good choice. We stayed in Park City and had some good meals there too. Kampai for sushi, Washau (sp?) Brew Pub at the top of the hill had great pub fare and house brewed beer. There is also a pricey Pan Asian place on the main drag whose name I can't remember.

and to add....Red Iguana's mole is SO GOOD!

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo