• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Central Oyster Bar

Beachfan

Mrs. TJ and I enjoyed lunch here in our 'Lost Food Weekend' in November 2002 while visiting NYC. After enjoying an exhibit at the NY Public Library titled 'Dining Out' (detailing the dining scene in NYC from 1900 to present) -- where we bumped into Keith Scott (formerly of Wine Spectator), we headed over to the Oyster Bar for some lunch.

We had oysters on the mind and we wanted to try a bunch of them, so off we went.

Just a few blacks walk, we headed into Grand Central Station, which is pretty cavernous (and architecturally interesting in spots). We found our lunchtime target and were seated at a table. There was a miscommunication, as we'd wanted to sit at 'the bar', but we figured the food would be the same and we'd enjoy ourselves nontheless, which we did.

We ordered two dozen oysters of seven different varieties. Along with this we shared a bottle of the St. Innocent Pinot Gris (2000 or 2001 -- I can't remember, but I think it was a 2000 --- TNs here ). It paired well enough and was rather refreshing. We'd actually hoped to bump into Keith Scott here (yes, he and his lady friend were also eating there!), but it didn't work out.

We shared the following oysters --

Bluepoint -- classic

Chincoteague -- sweet, small and very flavorful

Judd somethingorother -- ocean breeze, briny mouth of seawater with sweet grassiness on the finish

Kamumato -- sweet bomb really small -- DELICIOUS

Cutty hunk-- ocean air

Westcott bay - sweet and slightly briny

Sheepscot -- slight brininess

My favorites were the Kamumato, the Chincoteague and the Cutty Hunk.

The Oyster Bar itself is just like this huge place. There is nothing here really to note other than you feel like you are in a large hall/cave. the tables are very close together and it is pretty noisy. The service is acceptable, if a bit brusque. The waiter was able to halp narrow our chosen list down by making some recommendations, most notably the Kamumato. We got to keep a copy of the daily menu as a keepsake (and an easy way to remember the meal in our dinining diary.

I'd go there again, certainly (for the oysters). The oysters were very fresh (if served just a little bit too cold) and delicious. I can't speak for the rest of the voluminous menu, though. It's not exactly a place you expect to get great service or ambiance, but the food we had was pretty good.

BTW, link to the wine TN is here.

Stick to the oysters, except in late May when you can get the "new herrring" from Holland for a few weeks into June. I've been disappointed even by the heralded chowder among other things and the pastries don't even look as if they inspire confidence.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I don't know anything about this, but a friend got a mailer from the Oyster Bar about an event on Saturday, July 26 - Oyster Frenzy. I guess there is stuff going on all day long, but from 5-7 pm there is an all-you-can-eat oysters, 18 different varieties available for $75.

I used to eat at the Oyster Bar about once a month on my travels from Fordham to my home in New Jersey. I would recommend the scallop panroast, like it better than the oyster version, the cold-water bay scallops, rarely avilable from Mass and worlds apart from the cheap warm water ones at most fish stores, the pompano and snook if available. Am also found of the shrimp that Steve has mentioned previously.

I will be at the GCOB this next Saturday. I love the place. You just have to accept the place for what it is. Oysters at the bar!!! Speaking of the bar, Am I the only one who finds the stools too close to the bar?

Admin: an archived thread about the December '03 - March '04 strike at the Grand Central Oyster Bar may be found here

Edited by slkinsey (log)

• 9 months later...
In any event, the oyster pan roast is the same, wonderfully silky concoction that Mimi Sheraton called elegant in The New York Times in 1983 and that the restaurant has been serving practically since its opening in 1913.

Oyster Bar and Restaurant (Sam Sifton) (from the NYTimes DIGEST update for the weekend of 7 May 2004 to 9 May 2004. Scroll down for the appropriate link.)

Soba

• 1 year later...

Stopped in at the Oyster Bar a few years ago at about 6:00 p.m., and a couple across the counter shared a bowl of chowder and a bottle of champagne before catching their train.

Class -- New York Class.

NYC ex-pat.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Had a plate of Ipswich Fried Clams for lunch.  Way overbreaded and cooked and not much flavor.  But the cavernous space in the bowels of Grand Central almost makes up for it.  Next time I'll stick to oysters.

I must say the Grand Central Oyster Bar is an amazing place. Location, history, and experience alone, its worth going to.. Its a major tourist attraction, it isnt too crowded, and you dont get ripped off .. That is, if you order correctly.. Very few things besides the Raw Bar work... But it might be one of the best oyster bars I've been to... Mad selections .. Before calculating in its priceless location..

I have eaten countless dinners there.. But the most memorable times are sitting at the bar.. With friends, by myself. Just sitting in the basement of The Worlds Greatest Train Station, with no cell phone connection, eating Oysters and drinking Beers..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I am a Naval Architect (ship designer) so I always head for the often-overlooked bar to look at the ship models and maritime memorabilia. A seat at the bar, a pan roast and a good glass of wine or a beer and everything, I mean EVERYTHING is better in my world.

It is one of my very favorite things to do in New York. (A martini at the New York Yacht Club is pretty darn good too, but I have to wait until I am invited.)

Give me oysters and beer

for dinner every day of the year

and I'll be fine, I'll be fine.

-J. Buffett.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

• 1 year later...

Went to the Oyster Bar on April 28th. Shame, Shame. Always loved the place. We were a group of 12. The service was more than slow. The red clam chowder was cold and tasted like it came out of can. When we brought it to an idiot manager’s attention he said, “ It was our fault for not having reservations.” Our tab came to $273.88 and it was not worth it. A New York Landmark living on its reputation. Sad!

Gentlemen, please get your act together. I would love to go back and report how things have improved.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

It goes further and further downhill, while the prices go up and up.

I use to go fairly often for the New England Clam Chowder, which was rich, well flavored and not expensive.

Alas, I got it yesterday and my last reason to go there is gone. The price was $2.00 higher, and the container was 20% smaller. It used to have several clam bellies, but this time it was only tiny chopped bits with the texture of shoe leather. The liquid was OK, but it was WAY too salty.

Farewell GCOB.

It goes further and further downhill, while the prices go up and up.

I use to go fairly often for the New England Clam Chowder, which was rich, well flavored and not expensive.

Alas, I got it yesterday and my last reason to go there is gone.  The price was $2.00 higher, and the container was 20% smaller.  It used to have several clam bellies, but this time it was only tiny chopped bits with the texture of shoe leather.  The liquid was OK, but it was WAY too salty.

Farewell GCOB.

Oh the shame of it. Anyone from the GCOB have the good sense to check out this site?

Jmahl

I find the Oyster Bar useful as a prelude to a knish or some other food at some other restaurant (usually Menchenko Tei around the corner which doesn't serve knishes, but I couldn't resist the pun). I meet up with friends and we'll sit at the bar and order an assortment of oysters. All are farmed (but getting them wild is all but impossible anywhere you go) and in a game of hit and miss, it's mostly misses. I stick to the oysters from Long Island and points north. Even though one in four or five may have a lot of liquor and taste fresh and profound, the exercise is nonetheless fun. Sometimes you even strike up an interesting conversation with a stranger at the next seat. I've tried the oyster stew, pan roast and the New England clam chowder, none of which are very profound or flavorful. I think you have to be nuts to eat any fish there.

• 4 years later...

Of course, your actual mileage may vary, but I had a pretty damn good lunch here just the other day...

Lunchtime. Hunger. New York City. What are there, like a thousand places to eat? Actually, there’s probably more, especially if you count all the street meat that’s around; carts, trucks, kiosks, people selling tamales out of their granny carts, sidewalk food sold by squatting women in Chinatown - and on and on.

Now compound that hunger problem with finding yourself in one of those places in New York City that sees a million people a day; people scurrying through its grand spaces, not there to eat but on their way from somewhere or to somewhere, generally in a hurry. And it happened to me last week (though I wasn’t in a hurry), when I ended up here, to visit that store at the top of the stairs…

2012_03_08 Grand Central.jpg

Normally, giant railroad terminals aren’t thought of as great places to eat (well, maybe in Italy, where you can often find a decent panini and a perfect espresso); they’re usually where you can grab a crappy sandwich or half-cooked hot dog, on your way, as I said, to or from somewhere. Grand Central actually has a food court in its lower level, which certainly does a booming business at lunch. But look a little further underground and you’ll stumble across this…

2012_03_08 Oyster Bar Entrance 2.jpg

Its official name is Grand Central Oyster Bar & Restaurant, and it has been sitting in the lower level of Grand Central Terminal for practically 100 years, falling into decline in the late 60s to early 70’s then rescued, renovated and now once again feeding hundreds of seafood happy customers on a daily basis. Don’t forget to check out the Gustavino tiled ceiling in this landmarked building…

2012_03_08 Oyster Bar Ceiling.jpg

I like to grab a seat at the counter, because that way you get fed fast and you get to watch the show…

2012_03_08 Oyster Bar Pickup.jpg

Remember, this ain’t Le Bernardin folks. So start off with a bowl of clam chowder (I like Manhattan-style)…

2012_03_08 Oyster Bar Chowder.jpg

Chock full of briny clams (get there early), slightly spicy and with a handful of those oyster crackers crushed into it, it hit the spot. Then I moved onto the real reason I was here…

2012_03_08 Oyster Bar Po Boy.jpg

Perhaps the finest oyster po-boy you can find in the city, simply loaded with perfectly fried oysters, a little shredded lettuce and a swab of tartar sauce to top it all off. A squeeze of lemon brought it to perfection…under $10! Even though I like the counter at lunch, the full menu is serious. Plenty of daily/seasonal specials. And the oysters? On any given day, the blackboard menu is likely to offer up at least 2 dozen varieties…

2012_03_08 Oyster Bar Blackboard.jpg

I don't get here for lunch as often as I should, but for food this good, in a beautiful and historically landmarked building, it's worth a trip. And that goes for whether you're hopping on a train or not.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?