• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Boiling Potatoes"

Brad Ballinger

You really don't see potatoes labeled "boiling potatoes" in the supermarkets. When you come across a recipe that calls for them, what do you use. Yukon Golds?

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

It depends on what I'm using them for. I boil many different kinds. I really do like Yukon golds, as they have a rich sweetnes, my guess is a higher component of converted starches than others, which I feel really lends itself to purees and the like. I use russets for the length and size in some things, i.e., potato wraps or crusts around meat or fish.

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Personally quite fond of the new red little spring potatoes for boiling .. but not overcooking!

They are such an excellent accompaniment to virtually all entrees and are also marvelous when served as an appetizer with creme fraiche and a dollop or caviar.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Personally quite fond of the new red little spring potatoes for boiling .. but not overcooking!

They are such an excellent accompaniment to virtually all entrees and are also marvelous when served as an appetizer with creme fraiche and a dollop or caviar.

Same here.

I've found the waxier ones hold up the best in boiled dishes. Starchy ones that are good for baking break down too much when boiled. (You pretty much have to mash them after that! Not that that's a bad dish! :biggrin: )

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Also it is a timing issue as to when you do add your potatoes. Idaho and Russets will disolve rather quickly so when using them in soups or stews I add them last. New potatoes, Yukons, and redskins will hold up much better but need to be added just a bit earlier in the dish than the russets. I like Russets in my soups and reds or Yukons in my stews but you can incorperate either as long as you pay attention to the timing. BTW, the potato thread rocks............. Doug..........

The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity!

Thanks for the thought of the eCGI link. I have to keep remembering that part of the site (I really should know better). It had the information I needed. My post was to ask about what kind of potato for a boiling potato, not how do you like to cook boiled potatoes. The main thing I can tell that distinguishes a boiling potato is thin skin and higher starch.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero