• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An interface between the two languages

Hiroyuki

Thanks you two. It's good to have you both on this thread. :biggrin:

But don't forget that, as I write elsewhere, when I say negi, I almost always mean that white part of nebuka negi because I'm a Kanto man! I'm still not used to green negi like bannou negi (万能ネギ).

Hey, it's good we're all here :biggrin:

I said "scallions aren't like negi at all" (and trying to be rigorous, to boot !). I'll try again - flavourwise they share a lot. Without assembling a proper tasting to reconfirm, my thought is that for flavour, negi is in between leek and scallion.

Of course I love the oniony flavour, so I'd be very happy with your substitution, Kris.

Also - I forgot to say that I would imagine 'welsh onion' meant leek because of the strong association between Wales and leek (it's the national plant symbol).

[/rigorous]

(The world's best leek gratin used to be served at La Paletta near Roppongi junction. It's no longer there, but I tracked the crew down to their new restaurant elsewhere in Tokyo. See you in the dining thread next time !).

Maybe we can go back in time and start calling negi, 'cibol' - have everyone reaching in panic for their French dictionaries and Elizabeth Davids.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Recently, I watched a TV show where a teacher of English, who was a native British English speaker, if I remember correctly, said that "PET bottle" was not right English, and "plastic bottle" was the right expression. This doesn't make sense to me because PET is a type of plastic, polyethylene terepthalate.

So, my question is, how do you say "PET bottle" in your country?

I think I have been in Japan too long... PET bottle sounds absolutely normal to me, but I am pretty sure in the US I referred to them as just plastic bottles.

OK, thanks. Anyway, in Japan, calling "PET bottles" "plastic bottles" is confusing and inappropriate because you have to dispose of these two types separately.

Recently, I watched a TV show where a teacher of English, who was a native British English speaker, if I remember correctly, said that "PET bottle" was not right English, and "plastic bottle" was the right expression.

Sorry, but even as a British native, I too have to admit to being too long out of the country to make an informed comment. (And regarding 'my country', I'm not a big fan of nationalism).

Still, if it was on NHK, it must be true, right ? :raz:

I am not sure if this is the right place. But what are the most common Japanese words used to describe texture of food? (And what do they mean/describe?)

Your question will be best answered if you ask, "How do you say xx in Japanese?"

Just two examples for now:

Katai = Hard

Yawarakai = Soft

Without being more specific I can't think of too many words to describe texture. I covered katai and yawarakai in the Daily Nihongo thread. You can scroll up for more food related terminology.

Some others (crunchy, chewy, etc can be found in the onomatopoeia thread.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I am not sure if this is the right place. But what are the most common Japanese words used to describe texture of food? (And what do they mean/describe?)

Your question will be best answered if you ask, "How do you say xx in Japanese?"

Katai = Hard

Yawarakai = Soft

Yes, that makes sense. Still I also wondered if there were Japanese words for sensations I didn't know...

Maybe I also could try to put it the other way around. What are the English words or explanations for purpurikan (?) and ashi?

Katai = Hard

Yawarakai = Soft

Yes, that makes sense. Still I also wondered if there were Japanese words for sensations I didn't know...

Maybe I also could try to put it the other way around. What are the English words or explanations for purpurikan (?) and ashi?

Puripurikan is プリプリ感? If so, it means elasticity, as in

kono kamaboko wa puripurikan ga aru.

This kamaboko has elasticity.

which means,

This kamaboko is elastic.

You can also say:

Kono kamaboko was puripuri shite(i)ru (This kamaboko is elastic.)

Ashi means firmness. Interestingly, this word is usually used to mean the firmness of kamaboko. When we talk about the firmness of noodles, we use the word koshi instead.

It seems that my intentions were revealed here :rolleyes: Domo arigatou!

Katai = Hard

Yawarakai = Soft

Puripurikan is プリプリ感? If so, it means elasticity, as in

kono kamaboko wa puripurikan ga aru.

This kamaboko has elasticity.

which means,

This kamaboko is elastic.

You can also say:

Kono kamaboko was puripuri shite(i)ru (This kamaboko is elastic.)

Ashi means firmness. Interestingly, this word is usually used to mean the firmness of kamaboko. When we talk about the firmness of noodles, we use the word koshi instead.

Is there any Japanese word for "scone"...?

Hi ! Yes, it's 'scone', or スコーン (suko-n). Just like milk is ミルク (miruku) and raspberry is ラスベリー (rasuberi-).

Going in the other direction, the word 'tempura' is often attributed a derivation from Portuguese 'tempora' or 'tempero'.

Edited by Blether (log)

Needless to say, スコーン (soo-koh-n) is a loanword from English. Scones are quite popular in Japan. I made them several times (in my toaster oven :biggrin: )when my children were smaller. Generally, females tend to like them more than males do.

Edited to add:

As for the origin of the word tempura, there is no established theory, as described here.

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

I am looking for information on portable food stand licenses in Osaka. I already searched for 屋台免許 but I couldn't find anything relevant. What would this be called in Japanese or where would I be able to find out about such licenses or licensing procedures on the internet?

I am looking for information on portable food stand licenses in Osaka. I already searched for 屋台免許 but I couldn't find anything relevant. What would this be called in Japanese or where would I be able to find out about such licenses or licensing procedures on the internet?

Hey, John. You may have more luck with 「許可」 rather than 「免許」。

I'm not familiar with such procedures. The easiest way to get such a licence will be to go to the nearest koban (police box) and ask.

Here is one related site:

http://www.pref.osaka.jp/f_inf/te/teannai/...nnai_00811.html

I guess you basically need to get a 道路占有許可 or 道路使用許可. (Are they the same thing, I don't know.)

• 3 weeks later...
Hiroyuki, which scenes did you particularly like? I'm curious.

It's kind of hard for me to answer. If I have to choose one, it's the dying wife making her last supper. The power of a mother trying to make something for her children and husband.

Is it understood by non-Japanese people that the proper ramen-eating instructions given by an old man to a young man (Gun) were a joke?

I love this movie (although not my fav food related movie, it is up there) I've been watching bits of it on youtube. I had forgot the scene where the hobo makes the omellet rice. I really like the scene. The way he handles the rice and then making the omellet, it done with such skill, it is very compelling to me. The person making it clearly has been around a kitchen stove and not just some actor/extra.