• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An interface between the two languages

Hiroyuki

Not quite.

I'm pleased I can get away with just grating the goya and don't have to blend it (my back is not good and picking up and washing the glass liquidiser not such a great idea)

Also I completely got it wrong about the non-calorie advice that was given. I suspected that using club soda/Perrier would not be to my taste (the photo of ginger ale as a base caught my eye) so it makes sense that she is warning against it and not recommending sparkling water.

Anyway, I have goya left over from yesterday so I'll give this a try today.

Thanks so much for translating this for me, I suspected I'd got parts of this wrong, I'm very happy you've pushed me back on track.

Just a quick follow up report now I've actually tried soda with goya.

I used a wasabi grater to grate the end of a goya (about 2-3cms or so, I used a Thai winter melon so it was much fatter than the Japanese goya I've seen) this turned into a fine pulp very easily but left an inner 'rind' which I discarded.

I added the equivalent of a heaped teaspoon or so to a glass and poured on a can of Lemon Fanta (I would have liked to try Canada Dry but none of my local shops had it - I thought this might approximate the classic English Drink - Bitter Lemon).

And it did taste like Bitter Lemon. Actually, it was rather nicer. The goya taste was fresh and vibrant, I can best explain it as a Sorrel (almost grassy) taste and aroma but with a bitter finish. Lovely 'clean' flavour, very pleasant to drink.

I'll probably reserve the ends of any goya I buy in the future and try this with other soda combinations. A wonderful alternative to tonic water.

• 3 weeks later...

Does this style of watercolor painting of single ingredients have a name? Also, is there a name for the watercolor sketches of dishes that accompany recipes in some washoku books? I would like to learn more about painting them and see more examples but I don't know what to search for. thank you.

examples:

example 1

example 2

example 3

example 4

example 5

example 6

• 6 months later...

Leeks--those big things that look like way overgrown green onions, and are often used in making soups. According to wiki, I'm looking specifically for

Allium ampeloprasum var. porrum (L.), also sometimes known as Allium porrum

[/unquote]

Are these fukuya negi?

Naga negi?

Or what is sold in supermarkets around me as エシャロット? (Which I thought were shallots, but they look more like large green onions than the shallots I know, so I thought they might be leeks).

It's soup time around these parts, and I want to try my hand at leek and potato soup!

It's soup time around these parts, and I want to try my hand at leek and potato soup!

Just use your normal supermarket negi. You can leave out the coarse leaf tops if it bugs you - I started out being that fussy, but these days I just use the whole thing.

With due respect to Helen, I find they soften up fine, gently sweated in oil for 10 or 15 minutes before I bung in the stock & spuds.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I have only seen leeks in International supermarkets in Tokyo and they are usually about 700 to 800yen for 1! Normally they are labeled in katakana as riiki but I have seen them once or twice as poronegi.

I make potato-leek soup quite a bit (both hot and cold versions) and I always use the plain old supermarket naganegi with no problem.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thanks! I'll pass on the leeks (Y700! I need to save that money for Thai rice!), and look for shimonita negi first, and if that fails, I'll go for the naganegi and just sweat them a bit longer. I wish I had a nice little farm nearby that would sell cheap vegetables--they've all sold out to build apartment buildings. :sad:

When researching shimonita negi, I found http://washokufood.blogspot.com/2008/07/naganegi-leek.html . It'll give me some options for other leek substitutes if I ever decide to look past naganegi.

Or what is sold in supermarkets around me as エシャロット?  (Which I thought were shallots, but they look more like large green onions than the shallots I know, so I thought they might be leeks).

For what it's worth,

In the 1950s エシャロット was given to ラッキョウ for marketing purposes. Scientific name, Allium chinense.

Leeks (Allium porrum) are sold under the names of ニラネギ, リーキ, せいようねぎ and in some cases, alluding to the scientific name, ポロねぎ (Porro is also the Italian name).

Regards,

Peter

• 10 months later...

Are むきごま just untoasted sesame seeds? Or are they different somehow that regular goma? (In the pictures, they just look untoasted, but otherwise look the same.)

Untosted? In the pictures? What pictures? むきごま = Dehulled sesame seeds, right?

Are むきごま just untoasted sesame seeds? Or are they different somehow that regular goma? (In the pictures, they just look untoasted, but otherwise look the same.)

Untosted? In the pictures? What pictures? むきごま = Dehulled sesame seeds, right?

Ah--no hulls? I was going to get these むきごま to make sesame paste. The other kind they sell are just labelled 白ごま and they looked a little more browned, so I thought they might be toasted while むきごま might be untoasted.

I guess I'll have to get my sesame seeds elsewhere. I don't need 1 kg of sesame seeds, and the 白ごま only comes in 1 kg packages!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I ordered a product from Rakuten, does the following mean they arent sending it due they dont ship internationally?

-----------------

'このたびお買上げありがとうございます。

記載しています通り国際便は準備中のためお届けができませんのでご了承下さい。

来年度より予定しておりますのでご了承下さい。

美と健康のバイタミンワールド

URL: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/k-vitamin/

お問い合わせ osanai.akira@rouge.plala.or.jp

TEL 078-252-0250 / FAX 078-252-0251

WEB SHOP店長:長内 章

-----------------------

TY

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Hi I ordered a product from Rakuten, does the following mean they arent sending it due they dont ship internationally?

Yes, but it also says they are preparing to start international shipments from next year.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Purple is sesame, yellow is okara, and orange is konnyaku.

All the flavours are listed in hiragana, which is pretty easy to learn to read. That and katakana would help you a lot if you're going to continue purchasing from Japanese websites. (Learning the meanings of basic kanji in addition to those would help even more. You don't even have to learn the readings, just basic recognition.)

• 6 months later...

Mannanhikari gohan with calories reduced by 33%

- For 2 go of cooked rice

1. Wash 1 go of rice.

1 go of rice = approx. 150 g of rice

Do not wash Mannanhikari.

2. Drain rice, and add 1 bag (75 g) of this product.

3. Add water to the pot up to the 2-go level, stir slightly, and cook in a normal way.

Note: If you cook in a pot not a rice cooker

Amount of water: 480 cc

- For 3 go of cooked rice

1.5 go of uncooked rice + 1.5 bag (113 g) of this product + water up to the 3 go level

Amount of water: 720 cc

Mannanhikari gohan wth calories reduced by 25%

- For 3 go of cooked rice

2 go of uncooked rice + 1 bag (75 g) of this product + water up to the 3 go level

Amount of water: 690 cc