• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An interface between the two languages

Hiroyuki

OK, I am trying to translate a recipe from the February 17 Orange Page magazine (the one with donburi on the cover).

This recipe is for 豚キムチ丼 (Pork-Kimchi Donburi). I am going to post the original wording here as well as my translation. I would just post a link to the original recipe but I am not sure if it is online, and I can't seem to find it on their website :wacko:

I didn't manage to get through everything today so this is just the ingredients list. I was wondering if someone whose Japanese ability is better than mine could look at it for me and tell me if I have anything very wrong before I try to buy these ingredients!

材料(2人分)

豚バラ薄切り肉、 150g

白菜キムチ、 75g

玉ねぎ、 1/8個

ねぎ、 1/8本

下味:

みりん、大さじ1 1/2

しょうゆ、コチュジャン、 各大さじ1

砂糖、ごま油、 各大さじ1/2

にんにくのすりおろし、 大さじ1/4

白いりごま、 少々

あれば粗びき唐辛子、 大さじ1/2

万能ねぎの小口切り、白いりごま、 各適宜

温かいご飯、 どんぶり2杯分

ごま油

Now, here is what I have come up with. I tried to translate the Japanese spoon measurements into ml so I can use them.

Ingredients for 2 servings

Boneless pork ribs, sliced thin, 150g

Chinese cabbage kimchi, 75g

bulb onion (regular yellow onion here in the US?), 1/8 onion

green onion, 1/8 stalk

Seasoning:

Mirin, 22ml

Soy sauce, kochujang, 15ml each

sugar, sesame oil, 7.5ml each

grated (???) garlic, 3.25ml

white sesame seeds, a pinch

crushed red pepper (??? Korean style?), 7.5ml

All-purpose onion(just scallion?) cut in small pieces, white sesame seeds, to suit

Whew. It only took me about an hour to look up all those kanji... yoi. I can only imagine trying to translate the directions. I hope this tastes good! :shock:

Jennie

Whew.  It only took me about an hour to look up all those kanji... yoi.  I can only imagine trying to translate the directions.  I hope this tastes good!  :shock:

I read through and translated it in less than 10 seconds. :raz: But 15 years ago it would have taken me an hour as well, keep up the good work!!

You have translated the ingredient list fine, if you need any help with the rest of the recipe let us know. It does sound good.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

>Boneless pork ribs, sliced thin, 150g

I'm not sure how to translate 豚バラ (buta bara). Is it pork belly or pork rib?

>bulb onion (regular yellow onion here in the US?), 1/8 onion

玉ねぎ means onion. When we say negi, we usually mean leek. To clearly distinguish leeks from onions, we often use the term naga-negi. (Naga means long).

>grated (???) garlic, 3.25ml

No question marks necessary.

>white sesame seeds

The Japanese is 白いりごま toasted white sesame seeds.

>crushed red pepper (??? Korean style?), 7.5ml

The Japanese is 粗びき唐辛子 coarsely ground red pepper. Why Korean style?

You forgot to translate "あれば" (if it exists, if it is available, etc.).

>All-purpose onion(just scallion?) cut in small pieces

万能ネギ look like this:

http://www.hakatabannounegi.com/

I wonder if you can get them in your area.

Did you translate 温かいご飯、 どんぶり2杯分 two 'donburi' bowls of hot rice

and ごま油 seseme seed oil?

It took me more than ten minutes to write this post. :biggrin:

Thanks for the help!

I did translate the sesame oil and donburi bowls of rice, but I forgot to type them here because I was in a hurry to leave work.

The bannou negi look a little bit like chives. Since they are only being used for a garnish, I probably won't worry about it too much. This summer I'm going to try to grow some Japanese-style bunching onions because I believe they do have a different flavor from what I can buy here.

I thought the red pepper might be Korean-style because of the photo. Thank you for the correction!

And now I'm not sure if the butabura is boneless rib meat or belly meat. In the pictures I found it does look a lot like American-style bacon, which is made from pork belly, so maybe I will use that.

Oh, and as for "あれば", I wasn't quite sure what it meant, but the directions say to substitute extra kochujang, I think. I didn't copy that part because I do have crushed red pepper....

Edited by jeniac42 (log)

Jennie

Wow, translating the directions is very difficult for me because I don't know much grammar yet. So, here is my best try. It won't be very accurate because the best I could do was to get the general idea and make a guess. At least, I think I could use the translation as a recipe. But I'm sure most of it is incorrect.

I especially don't know what なじんだら means, or how many words it is. :huh:

作り方

1.キムチはかるく汁けをきり、食べやすい大きさに切る。玉ねぎは縦に薄切りにする。ねぎは斜め薄切りにする。

2.フライパンを火にかける前に豚肉を入れ、下味の材料を順に加え、そのつど手でもみ込む。充分になじんだら中火にかけ、ごま油大さじ1を加える。ときどき混ぜながら炒め、肉の色が変わりはじめたらキムチを加えて炒め合わせる。全体がなじんだら、玉ねぎ、ねぎを加え、しんなりするまで炒め合わせる。

3.どんぶりにご飯を盛り、(2)をのせる。仕上げに万能ねぎの小口切り、白いりごまをのせる。

1. Lightly squeeze some of the juice from the kimchi and cut into pieces that are easy to eat. Cut the onion vertically into thin slices. Thinly slice the green onion on the diagonal.

2. Put a frying pan on a burner. First, add the pork to the pan; then add the seasoning ingredients in order, mixing each one in thoroughly(?). Once it is cooked adequately, put the pan on medium heat, and add 15ml of sesame oil. Stirfry, mixing occasionally. When the meat begins to change color, add the kimchi and stirfry it. Cook all together(?), then add the onions and green onions, (??), and stirfry.

3. Put rice in the donburi bowls, and place the result of step (2) on top. For the finishing touches, put the chopped bannou-negi and toasted white sesame seeds on top.

Jennie

I especially don't know what なじんだら means, or how many words it is.  :huh: 

2.フライパンを火にかける前に豚肉を入れ、下味の材料を順に加え、そのつど手でもみ込む。充分になじんだら中火にかけ、ごま油大さじ1を加える。ときどき混ぜながら炒め、肉の色が変わりはじめたらキムチを加えて炒め合わせる。全体がなじんだら、玉ねぎ、ねぎを加え、しんなりするまで炒め合わせる。

2. Put a frying pan on a burner.  First, add the pork to the pan; then add the seasoning ingredients in order, mixing each one in thoroughly(?). Once it is cooked adequately, put the pan on medium heat, and add 15ml of sesame oil.  Stirfry, mixing occasionally.  When the meat begins to change color, add the kimchi and stirfry it.  Cook all together(?), then add the onions and green onions, (??), and stirfry.

Wow! You did really good!

najindara is from the verb najimu, I would probably translate 充分になじんだら中火にかけ as 'Once it is thoroughly mixed turn on the heat to medium.'

I ouldn't think of a good way to describe najimu especially when it comes to cooking, here is how dictionary defines it.

also you will see しんなりするまで quite a bit in recipes, depending on the food you might translate it as 'until it wilts' or 'until it softens'

Excellent work!! :biggrin::biggrin:

except for one fatal error: :biggrin:

You translated

フライパンを火にかける前に豚肉を入れ、

into

Put a frying pan on a burner. First, add the pork to the pan;

but this should be translated into

Put the pork in a frying pan before you put the pan on a burner.

>そのつど手でもみ込む。

mixing each one in thoroughly(?).

This is fine.

手で tede is by hand

もみ込む momikomu is to rub ... into ... (thoroughly).

Be sure to post a photo of the dish!!

najindara is from the verb najimu, I would probably translate 充分になじんだら中火にかけ as 'Once it is thoroughly mixed turn on the heat to medium.'

I ouldn't think of a good way to describe najimu especially when it comes to cooking, here is how dictionary defines it.

also you will see しんなりするまで quite a bit in recipes, depending on the food you might translate it as 'until it wilts' or 'until it softens'

Thanks, Kris. I found that meaning for najimu but I couldn't think how it applied to food, and I have never seen that "ndara" ending before... I'll ask my teacher about it next week (it's Spring Break). The translation for "until it wilts" is really helpful, too.

Excellent work!! :biggrin:  :biggrin:

except for one fatal error: :biggrin:

You translated

フライパンを火にかける前に豚肉を入れ、

into

Put a frying pan on a burner. First, add the pork to the pan;

but this should be translated into

Put the pork in a frying pan before you put the pan on a burner.

>そのつど手でもみ込む。

mixing each one in thoroughly(?).

This is fine.

手で tede is by hand

もみ込む momikomu is to rub ... into ... (thoroughly).

Be sure to post a photo of the dish!!

Aaaaah! Now I see. So rub the ingredients into the pork by hand, THEN put it on the burner. That will make a big difference, I think.

Tomorrow I am going to buy the ingredients for this, so I'll post a picture as soon as I can.

Jennie

Thanks, Kris.  I found that meaning for najimu but I couldn't think how it applied to food, and I have never seen that "ndara" ending before... I'll ask my teacher about it next week (it's Spring Break).

You will probably learn about this in time... :biggrin:

The ren'youkei + たら (tara) is one of several conditional forms, translated as "if" or "when". Besides its conditional function, it is often used to describe an assumption, usually referring to a specific situation, or to an action which has been completed.

much more here :biggrin:

najimu would be like the more fmiliar verb nomu (to drink) when conjugating to the past tense. nomu becomes nonda and najimu becomes najinda, so when you want to express something in the conditional form of tara they become nondara and najindara.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, almost all Japanese almost always utter the same phrase, "toriaezu beer" (or a variation thereof), when they enter a restaurant for a meal and that meal includes alcohol. I can't complain because I'm no exception...

I found this site, if anyone is interested.

とりあえず toriaezu = for now, for the time being, first, etc.

was wondering if someone might be able to translate the following for me pretty please..

魚を与えられれば、その日を凌げるだろうが 捕らえ方を知れば、永遠に困らないであろう

thanks much

was wondering if someone might be able to translate the following for me pretty please..

thanks much

OK, I'm not an expert on this type of translation, but here is it.

If you are given some fish, you will be able to get by for that day, but if you learn how to catch them, you won't be in need of them forever.

thanks much

If you are given some fish, you will be able to get by for that day, but if you learn how to catch them, you won't be in need of them forever.

how then might the translation for "teach a man to fish he will eat forever" be?

thanks much

how then might the translation for "teach a man to fish he will eat forever" be?

Does this mean "teach a man how to catch fish that he will eat forever"?

Then, it will be something like

永遠に食べる魚を捕る方法を人に教える

but this sounds rather ackward. I'd rather say

永遠に魚を食べられるように魚の捕り方を人に教える

which means

Teach a man how to catch fish so that he can eat fish forever.

thanks much

Does this mean "teach a man how to catch fish that he will eat forever"?

Then, it will be something like

永遠に食べる魚を捕る方法を人に教える

but this sounds rather ackward. I'd rather say

永遠に魚を食べられるように魚の捕り方を人に教える

which means

Teach a man how to catch fish so that he can eat fish forever.

and how would the spacing for that be? sorry to keep asking these questions. its a piece i'm working on for my restaurant in slovakia :o))

OK, so it's a Chinese proverb, right?

I found two sources:

http://www.enjyuku.com/w/ti_014.html

http://meigen.shiawasehp.net/prov/054.html

In both, the translations are the same:

魚の取り方を教えれば、その人は一生を通して食える

You can break the sentence wherever you want, but

魚の取り方を教えれば、

その人は一生を通して食える

looks good, right?

I don't know what time it is in your area, but it's 21:19 p.m. in Japan right now. Sorry, I'll answer any further questions tomorrow morning.

OK, so it's a Chinese proverb, right?

I found two sources:

http://www.enjyuku.com/w/ti_014.html

http://meigen.shiawasehp.net/prov/054.html

In both, the translations are the same:

魚の取り方を教えれば、その人は一生を通して食える

You can break the sentence wherever you want, but

魚の取り方を教えれば、

その人は一生を通して食える

looks good, right?

I don't know what time it is in your area, but it's 21:19 p.m. in Japan right now.  Sorry, I'll answer any further questions tomorrow morning.

right you are!!! now, is 魚の取り方を教えれば、

その人は一生を通して食える the whole whole proverb or is just the last pasrt of the proverb "teach a man to fish he will eat forever?"

魚の取り方を教えれば、

That part is "if you teach a man to fish"

and the next part

その人は一生を通して食える

is "he will eat for the rest of his life".

Thanks, Helen. I got up at 5:30 a.m. and am now viewing this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

A friend sent me a link that has the kanji 虹に in it. Could you please tell me how this is pronounced/spelled in Romanji and also what it means ?

Cheers,

Rob.

Hi all, 

A friend sent me a link that has the kanji 虹に in it.  Could you please tell me how this is pronounced/spelled in Romanji and also what it means ?

Cheers,

Rob.

虹 = Niji (rainbow)

に = ni (to)

thus, 虹に = to (a/the) rainbow

What does it mean? :blink:

I finally made the Orange Page pork and kimchi donburi last night. ( 豚キムチ丼)

I think it was worth the time it took to translate it and I would recommend it to anyone. Thanks to everyone for their help!

121973361_205968f478.jpg

Jennie

I finally made the Orange Page pork and kimchi donburi last night. ( 豚キムチ丼)

I think it was worth the time it took to translate it and I would recommend it to anyone.  Thanks to everyone for their help!

Congratulations on your success, and nice-looking chopsticks!

Hi all, 

A friend sent me a link that has the kanji 虹に in it.   Could you please tell me how this is pronounced/spelled in Romanji and also what it means ?

Cheers,

Rob.

虹 = Niji (rainbow)

に = ni (to)

thus, 虹に = to (a/the) rainbow

What does it mean? :blink:

Ahh... I think I was sent a recipe for "Rainbow Beef" :biggrin: