• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upscale Supermarkets and Cheese Abuse

DonRocks

Who in town has reblochon?  I want to make a tarteflette (sp) and I pretty sure that I need reblochon for it.

Getting a bit late for tartiflette? Whole Food has good reblochon well-priced. Not a cheese you really need to worry too much about higher levels of quality.

Who in town has reblochon?  I want to make a tarteflette (sp) and I pretty sure that I need reblochon for it.

Getting a bit late for tartiflette? Whole Food has good reblochon well-priced. Not a cheese you really need to worry too much about higher levels of quality.

I ran across the word "reblochon" on here the other day and I immediately associated it with tartiflette and I thought, I have not made one in a while.

I love that stuff. Its basically from where Delphine was born. So wonderful for lunch while skiing. Try to us thick bacon! A small cast iron pan adds a nice touch.

I ran across the word "reblochon" on here the other day and I immediately associated it with tartiflette and I thought, I have not made one in a while.

I went to Arrowine on Saturday, not having been for quite a while. While Tito is gone, now replaced by two women (Vickie and Katie, a former cheesemaker) who divide Tito's deli/charcuterie and cheese responsibilities, Aldo is still there. He is very knowledgeable about cheese, and even on a busy day, is ready to talk cheese and provide tastes. They have a refrigerated case with pre-wrapped cheeses for grab-and-go, but most of the cheeses are whole and cut to order. While the selection is not quite as extensive as the G'town or Arlington Whole Foods or Dean and Deluca, the cheeses are well-chosen and in very good condition. A lot of thought and care goes into all aspects of Arrowine's wine and food products, and they are local, not corporate. Support local businesses, I say.

My husband recently brought back Reblochon from La Fromagerie in London. It was perfect and we wanted more. We were told by the cheese stores here in Chicago that Reblochon was not available. Something about a crackdown of cheeses aged less than 60 days. We were told that Reblochon is aged 55 days.

- kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

My husband recently brought back Reblochon from La Fromagerie in London. It was perfect and we wanted more. We were told by the cheese stores here in Chicago that Reblochon was not available. Something about a crackdown of cheeses aged less than 60 days. We were told that Reblochon is aged 55 days.

- kim

isn't that illegal?? :biggrin:

but yeah. . if i remember correctly, govt. won't allow the sale of cheese that is aged less than 60 days, unless it's been pasteurized, or something like that.

Convenient? Not exactly. If I have to drive more than ten minutes to get groceries, I get grouchy. Dulles, from my 'hood, is about 30-35 miles, I think.

Hi from Western NY!

I know that there are now at least two Wegmans in the DC area. I am a big Wegmans fan and one of the many reasons is their exceptional cheeses as well as the folks in the cheese departments. And the Dulles store has the largest cheese department of all Wegmans stores. If it's convenient, try it. And let me know.

Jenny you live in DC. 45 min+ on a good day. Wegmans I think is further out...

Convenient?  Not exactly.  If I have to drive more than ten minutes to get groceries, I get grouchy.  Dulles, from my 'hood, is about 30-35 miles, I think.
Hi from Western NY!

I know that there are now at least two Wegmans in the DC area. I am a big Wegmans fan and one of the many reasons is their exceptional cheeses as well as the folks in the cheese departments. And the Dulles store has the largest cheese department of all Wegmans stores. If it's convenient, try it. And let me know.

Hi from Western NY!

In addition to being a fan, are you also affiliated?

Not accusatory, just suspicious and paranoid.

They do have a very good cheese counter that I've not had the chance to get too far into. Although I did buy a nice Humboldt Fog Ashed goat cheese there last week.

And I think everyone in upstate New York has pride for Wegman's, so I wouldnt be suspicious.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Jenny you live in DC.  45 min+ on a good day.  Wegmans I think is further out...

That's probably true.

In the end, I got my fill of Wegman's while at Cornell. I'm a bad enough cook (and a big enough fan of eating in restaurants) that I'm happy to make do with a combo of Giant, Safeway and Whole Paycheck.

Re: Wegmans, though, I blame half of my freshman fifteen (ok, twenty if I'm being honest) on their damn chocolate-chip muffins. I used to love 'em. Fortunately the present iteration is different and I no longer am tempted. :smile:

Hi from Western NY!

Nope, she's not affiliated. I know because... she's my momma. :wub:

I grew up in Buffalo, where my family still lives, & we just love wegmans in my family, especially my mom. she REALLY loves wegmans.

hi mom!

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

Hi from Western NY!

Nope, she's not affiliated. I know because... she's my momma. :wub:

I grew up in Buffalo, where my family still lives, & we just love wegmans in my family, especially my mom. she REALLY loves wegmans.

hi mom!

Hope I did not offend. Just sensitive to having people shill around here.

For the record, I spent seven years in Binghamton and was also a huge Wegman's fan. Now if only the efing MoCo government would get out of their way so they could open up somewhere near me.

PS - bakezoid, your daughter's a lovely person. I just wish I could enjoy the hospitality of her employer more often. :smile:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I asked for castelmagno at the Glover Park branch and the counterperson looked at me like I had two heads. 

Cheesetique has this wonderful cheese listed on its web site so I may have to make the trek.

Call ahead as they do not always have everything in stock. Although it would not be a wasted trip as I am sure you will find many other items to purchase. :raz:

SAD NEWS ABOUT CASTELMAGNO...

Alas, my expected piece will not be arriving after all. Such is the way with rare cheeses. I'll keep trying and will keep you posted...

Jill

Jill Erber, Cheese Lady

Cheesetique Specialty Cheese Shop

Alexandria, VA

As another Buffalo transplant, I'll vouch for the Wegmans support. Wegmans are a dime a dozen back there, so when you move here and are exposed to the craptastic giants and safeways (and acceptable but stupid expensive Whole Foods), your Wegmans memories become almost larger than life. Thus we may seem a little overzealous when talking about it.

(semi-related: has anyone seen what stuff they've stocked for former Buffalonians? Word on the street is that they have Bison dip, but do they have anything else?)

(semi-related: has anyone seen what stuff they've stocked for former Buffalonians? Word on the street is that they have Bison dip, but do they have anything else?)

There are pods of "Upstate New York products" all over the Dulles store. I've definitely seen the Bison dips, there are also a bunch of Dinosaur BBQ sauces. The bakery offers weck rolls, but never having seen a live one I'm in no position to judge whether they're authentic or not. (The bialys definitely are not.)

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

- kim

isn't that illegal?? :biggrin:

but yeah. . if i remember correctly, govt. won't allow the sale of cheese that is aged less than 60 days, unless it's been pasteurized, or something like that.

Last time we came back from France they siezed the few scraps of cured Savoyard ham (DCMark, what do they call it?) that I'd inadvertantly carried off the plane, but ignored the cheese, even to the point of letting a foil-clad (not vacuum sealed) clot of something old and goat-y into the country, despite the fact that the smell nearly burned the nose-hairs off the customs lady.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

As another Buffalo transplant, I'll vouch for the Wegmans support. Wegmans are a dime a dozen back there, so when you move here and are exposed to the craptastic giants and safeways (and acceptable but stupid expensive Whole Foods), your Wegmans memories become almost larger than life. Thus we may seem a little overzealous when talking about it.

Kinda like my memories of Byerly's in Minneapolis--larger than life. :smile:

I've carried eppouisses (sp?) for years on planes from France. It's actually much easier than you would suspect: I merely threaten the attendant that if they don't refrigerate the cheese the plane will truly stink about the time we pass over Greenland!!!! In December I brought back an incredible Barolo flavored cheese from Le Calandre's cheese shop near Padua that I haven't found anything even close to here. As for Customs, the beagle is obsessed with salami (particularly Tuscan salami). Last September I had Black Forest ham from Freiburg which was vacuum packed. He walked right by it!!! Right by it! I toasted him that night as we sliced it.

In almost twenty five years of heavy European travel I've had my luggage opened when I had almost a case and a half of wine-twice; salami, proscuitto and Serrano ham confiscated at other times and far too many times to count, carried various cheeses by various dogs at Dulles.

Cheese is not a problem nor is wine, even larger amounts as long as you declare "wine" and a value. (They just looked at me each time sympathetically, "What a wino!") But salami and other meats which are NOT vacuum packed are a whole different matter.

Once I stopped in a cheese shop in Bologna (written about in this earlier post on the other board:

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/general13/...ages/41002.html )

and brought back gorgonzola en malga au naturale and Ferron's violane nano arborio along with 2 kilos of Reggiano cut from a whole wheel with a moist center. Two hours after landing I made risotto from this.

Dulles' beagle could care less about cheesy rice.

Kinda like my memories of Byerly's in Minneapolis--larger than life. :smile:

Byerly's is excellent as is Wegman's, Central Market and several of Seattle's Larry's Markets (which started the whole market ambience trend 15 or 20 years ago). Excepting the Pittsford store most New Yorkers have no idea how superior the Dulles/Fairfax/Downington/Princeton/Woodbridge Wegmans are to their own stores. Still, having been obsessed with grocery stores for years and stopping in them all over North America and Europe (while travelling on business) I would rank the Dulles Wegmans as perhaps the best I have ever been in, slightly better than the Central Market in Austin and an Auchan at Val d'Europa east of Paris. Having said this my neighbors who have never been to Austin let alone Paris prefer Wegmans Fairfax store so.......

Still, none of these take the place of a really good centrally located market, like the Lexington Market in Baltimore.

....But salami and other meats which are NOT vacuum packed are a whole different matter...

I once brought back loads of Salami from a legendary Macelleria in Greve which I was too naive to vacuum pack. This was shortly afer 9/11 and the Beagles were at Dulles en masse. They didn't even look in our direction. One wonders what others may have in their luggage that could so divert their attention...

The Macelleria in question is Falorni. Egulleteers travelling to Chianti: drive through Greve and stop by. My wife had to pull me out. More than the taste of the smuggled Salami, what I remember most is the aroma of that place. Think Frager's Hardware on the Hill but stuffed to the rafters with cured meats instead of hardware. Incredible.

Edited by banco (log)

Don’t you have a machine that puts food into the mouth and pushes it down?

--Nikita Khrushchev to Richard Nixon during the "Kitchen Debate" in Moscow, 1959

....But salami and other meats which are NOT vacuum packed are a whole different matter...

I once brought back loads of Salami from a legendary Macelleria in Greve which I was too naive to vacuum pack. This was shortly afer 9/11 and the Beagles were at Dulles en masse. They didn't even look in our direction. One wonders what others may have in their luggage that could so divert their attention...

The Macelleria in question is Falorni. Egulleteers travelling to Chianti: drive through Greve and stop by. My wife had to pull me out. More than the taste of the smuggled Salami, what I remember most is the aroma of that place. Think Frager's Hardware on the Hill but stuffed to the rafters with cured meats instead of hardware. Incredible.

This is the exact same salumeria that my Chianti flavored/infused salami was from. The beagle knows it. He knows it well!!!! My guess is that in a previous life he lived there and spent the better part of his day jumping up and trying to pull the salamis which hang from the ceiling!

There are pods of "Upstate New York products" all over the Dulles store. I've definitely seen the Bison dips, there are also a bunch of Dinosaur BBQ sauces. The bakery offers weck rolls, but never having seen a live one I'm in no position to judge whether they're authentic or not. (The bialys definitely are not.)

(barely-related:)

you should try the Dinosaur BBQ Cajun Foreplay Spice Rub. Its great on fish like tilapia, salmon or artic char. My boyfriend doesn't like fish at all, but Bakezoid/my mom made grilled tilapia with the cajun foreplay, and he loved it.

Edited: I wish my Yamaha scooter would get me all the way to the Dulles Wegmans, but I can only visit it through your posts... :sad:

However, now that the weather is nice, I will attempt a trip on the scooter to Cheesetique!

Edited by LittleWing (log)

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

Byerly's is excellent as is Wegman's, Central Market and several of Seattle's Larry's Markets (which started the whole market ambience trend 15 or 20 years ago).  Excepting the Pittsford store most New Yorkers have no idea how superior the Dulles/Fairfax/Downington/Princeton/Woodbridge Wegmans are to their own stores.  Still, having been obsessed with grocery stores for years and stopping in them all over North America and Europe (while travelling on business) I would rank the Dulles Wegmans as perhaps the best I have ever been in, slightly better than the Central Market in Austin and an Auchan at Val d'Europa east of Paris.  Having said this my neighbors who have never been to Austin let alone Paris  prefer Wegmans Fairfax store so.......

Still, none of these take the place of a really good centrally located market, like the Lexington Market in Baltimore.

Man, I used to live about two blocks from Larry's in Queen Anne (a Seattle neighborhood) and I miss it. They claimed to have the largest cheese selection on the West Coast, and the wine and beer... don't get me started. Once, I asked the cheese guy for something really unusally and he says "we just got in this Gorilla's milk cheese, would you like to try some?" He was kidding, of course, but for just a second I could only sputter. Now I live in PG county in a state where you have to go to a special store to buy beer. You people bitching about Montgomery Co. ought to try shopping around my neck of the woods before you start whining! Whole foods? I wish! Not that I don't frequently make excursions outside my neighborhood/county/state to do my shopping, but it would be nice to have something close by where Monterrey Jack isn't considered exotic. At least it's a short walk to get my growlers filled at Franklins.

Also, while I don't think they have anything "exotic" cheese-wise, I just discovered this place:

http://www.southmountaincreamery.com/

from another thread on here and I'm excited to start ordering my (more everyday) cheese and other dairy from there.

-John

"If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?"

In 1990 I stopped in a recently renovated Larry's in Bellevue which, I believe, was the first of a new "generation" of groceries stores, not just for them but for anywhere in America. It was heavily influenced by the Pike Place Market in Seattle and other city markets. The result is that there were wooden floors, numerous stalls or stands for cheese, meat, seafood, the wine department was fairly large and extensive. In produce there was track lighting complimenting the wooden floors. At this time, to break up the monotony of travel, I was in the habit of searching out larger grocery stores in cities that I would stop in for business around the U. S. The result is that I I had been most everywhere from Schweigmann's (sp) in New Orleans to Hanneford in Portland to Larry's to Wegmans to Stew Leonard's. This was the FIRST store of any that had this type of city market ambience. A few years later I stopped in a new Wegmans in Rochester which had just opened. Apparently they had drawn (and improved) on the concept which Larry's had pioneered. You may want to check out the Safeway in Arundel Mills by the way.