• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upscale Supermarkets and Cheese Abuse

DonRocks

I think bad cheese is just plain gross, and bad chocolate is sort of like bad sex.

Bad sex? I don't follow...

:wink:

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

The pre-packaged cheese dilemna has another dimension. Sometimes you don't want to buy the size that they are trying to sell you, but you do it anyways because you want the cheese! Often I want a slice of cheese half the size that I am forced to purchase. Has anybody else had this problem. For the store it probably provides some reliability in stock turnover, but it can be really frustrating as a customer to but 2+ times as much as you want (spending 2+ times as much as well!!!).

At the 14th St. Whole Foods, they will cut the cheese into a smaller piece for you. In fact, they will cut a piece off for you to taste first, if you like.

morda

For those in Alexandria/northern VA, Fern Street Gourmet in Fairlington (off of Quaker, across 395 from Shirlington) offers a small, but relatively un-abused assortment of cheeses. They also will cut whatever quantity you desire.

Pretty decent prices too. I just paid $15 total for a half-pound of Shropshire Blue (could not resist asking for the orange-blue) and a half-pound of raw milk Morbier.

They seem to have a weakness for blue cheeses -- almost half of their total selection of cheese. Also, quite a few variations of brie/soft white cheeses. Other cheese I recall: manchego, parmesan ($15/lb but it looked a bit dried-out), a couple of small goat cheeses that were in plastic packages and a few swiss-type cheeses. There were more, but my memory is not that adept.

I've been in the shop a few times for wine, but this was the first time I've bought their cheese. I must say the Morbier is quite delicious, but now my mouse & keyboard smell quite funky!

For those in Alexandria/northern VA, Fern Street Gourmet in Fairlington (off of Quaker, across 395 from Shirlington) offers a small, but relatively un-abused assortment of cheeses. They also will cut whatever quantity you desire.

Pretty decent prices too. I just paid $15 total for a half-pound of Shropshire Blue (could not resist asking for the orange-blue) and a half-pound of raw milk Morbier.

They seem to have a weakness for blue cheeses -- almost half of their total selection of cheese. Also, quite a few variations of brie/soft white cheeses. Other cheese I recall: manchego, parmesan ($15/lb but it looked a bit dried-out), a couple of small goat cheeses that were in plastic packages and a few swiss-type cheeses. There were more, but my memory is not that adept.

I've been in the shop a few times for wine, but this was the first time I've bought their cheese. I must say the Morbier is quite delicious, but now my mouse & keyboard smell quite funky!

I loved that place when I lived in Park Fairfax. Not only did they introduce me to the glories of Pyranees with pepper, but they were my regular port source.

THey do take good care of their cheese (almost no prewrapping) as well as their charcuterie.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I think bad cheese is just plain gross, and bad chocolate is sort of like bad sex.

Bad sex? I don't follow...

:wink:

Sex: even when it's bad, it's good.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Speak not of politics, but of another tangent. Let's say before you sits a plate of perfect cheeses, what do you drink? You now have the chance to do far more damage than WF and their cling film. I'm a big propponent of eating what you want and drinking want you want. But here it's going to get you in trouble. Nine times out of ten I'll drink white. Pick a big tannin red (probably the one that's left after your main course) with the wrong bleu, now your suck'n on rusty pennies. A delightful way to finish the night. Drink beer, champagne, Mersault, Sancerre anything just beware a Bordeaux in sheeps clothing.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

• 11 months later...
So true about the amonia smell on the Reblochon.  I do perfer the cheese at Dean and Delucca which is generally not pre-packaged.

Has anyone ordered cheese from France?  Not really legal but like overseas pharms....?

I order from Murray's in NYC. I've had wonderful cheeses from them. They are also fun to talk with if you call. They are very enthusiastic about what they do.

Recently I've tried some of David Rosengarten's affineur Cheeses. Very nice but quite expensive.

terry

Eating an artichoke is like getting to know someone really well.

Get thee to Cheesetique in Del Ray.

It's a bit of a hike. Montgomery County just sucks for groceries. :angry: And wine. :angry::angry::angry:

That's why I generally break the law and make a run for the border.

Seriously though, that MoCo liquor store next to the Safeway on Shady Grove just South of Rt 28 is by far the best one that I've been in.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Cheese sluts (love that!) in Providence -- or, hell, south of Boston or north of New Haven -- should haul ass over to Farmstead on Wayland Ave on the east side. You can also stop by Olga's (on Point St) or Seven Stars (on Hope at 4th) and get yourself a great loaf for the drive back!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Get thee to Cheesetique in Del Ray.

It's a bit of a hike. Montgomery County just sucks for groceries. :angry: And wine. :angry::angry::angry:

That's why I generally break the law and make a run for the border.

Seriously though, that MoCo liquor store next to the Safeway on Shady Grove just South of Rt 28 is by far the best one that I've been in.

J, is that the Fallsgrove location?

Got an acceptable piece of Humboldt Fog today at Whole Paycheck but I am still pissed about the Fourme d'Ambert.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Who in town has reblochon?  I want to make a tarteflette (sp) and I pretty sure that I need reblochon for it.

Arrowine most definitely, and if Jill doesn't have it at Cheesetique, call her and ask her and I'm sure she would get it for you if she finds one of excellent quality.

Seriously though, that  MoCo liquor store next to the Safeway on Shady Grove just South of Rt 28 is by far the best one that I've been in.

J, is that the Fallsgrove location?

Yep.

PS - Damnit, I want the ninja smilie!

Edited by JPW (log)

Joe W

I asked for castelmagno at the Glover Park branch and the counterperson looked at me like I had two heads. 

Cheesetique has this wonderful cheese listed on its web site so I may have to make the trek.

Call ahead as they do not always have everything in stock. Although it would not be a wasted trip as I am sure you will find many other items to purchase. :raz:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Seriously though, that  MoCo liquor store next to the Safeway on Shady Grove just South of Rt 28 is by far the best one that I've been in.

Wow! What do you like about it? This store is right down the street from my house, but I've rarely gone in since I usually buy in Virginia.

I asked for castelmagno at the Glover Park branch and the counterperson looked at me like I had two heads. 

Cheesetique has this wonderful cheese listed on its web site so I may have to make the trek.

Call ahead as they do not always have everything in stock. Although it would not be a wasted trip as I am sure you will find many other items to purchase. :raz:

Definitely a good recommendation to call ahead. As cheeses can be quite seasonal (and great cheeses not always available) if you're looking for something specific, it's always better to call first. The list of cheeses on our web site is there to give you a guideline and we usually have most of them at the store.

Regarding Castelmagno in particular, it IS that fabulous. And it IS that rare. Only a couple hundred wheels are exported every year. We were lucky enough to get one and hope to get one more this Friday.

I promise you - the most fun comes from experimenting with new things. So even if we don't have something you were looking for, I guarantee you will find something else that you adore. Even better, we'll cut and wrap it right before your eyes!

Jill Erber, Owner/Cheese Lady - Cheesetique

Jill Erber, Cheese Lady

Cheesetique Specialty Cheese Shop

Alexandria, VA

Hi from Western NY!

I know that there are now at least two Wegmans in the DC area. I am a big Wegmans fan and one of the many reasons is their exceptional cheeses as well as the folks in the cheese departments. And the Dulles store has the largest cheese department of all Wegmans stores. If it's convenient, try it. And let me know.

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Hi from Western NY!

I know that there are now at least two Wegmans in the DC area. I am a big Wegmans fan and one of the many reasons is their exceptional cheeses as well as the folks in the cheese departments. And the Dulles store has the largest cheese department of all Wegmans stores. If it's convenient, try it. And let me know.

In addition to being a fan, are you also affiliated?

Not accusatory, just suspicious and paranoid.

Joe W