• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Original West Side Market Closed!

slkinsey

Right now, all we (the students) know is that the building is undergoing "renovations," and that West Side and Columbia Hot Bagels will be coming back once the "renovations" are done. Who knows, though. Ho Bags isn't closed yet; I think their closing date was pushed back. I'm not quite sure if the building is or is not owned by CU. Let's see what the landlord does, though--I don't know if the renovations are bogus or for real. It's really disheartening to see what's happening in this area, with West Side and University Food Market both riding off into the sunset. :sad:

You can do a search on the Columbia Spectator website for more info on this stuff.

Right now, all we (the students) know is that the building is undergoing "renovations," and that West Side and Columbia Hot Bagels will be coming back once the "renovations" are done. Who knows, though. Ho Bags isn't closed yet; I think their closing date was pushed back. I'm not quite sure if the building is or is not owned by CU. Let's see what the landlord does, though--I don't know if the renovations are bogus or for real. It's really disheartening to see what's happening in this area, with West Side and University Food Market both riding off into the sunset. :sad:

You can do a search on the Columbia Spectator website for more info on this stuff.

Wait...didn't University Food Market just reopen after extensive renovations that made the lanes even MORE narrow? I swear I just walked past it on Saturday and it looked all new & shiny... :blink:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

UFM is now a Morton Williams Associated supermarket. Prices have jumped considerably.

Aha! That explains it! It seemed like a different store entirely from what it used to be when I was in there the other night

By the time I had waited 20 minutes in a check-out line (at 11:30 p.m.), I had resolved never to set foot in the store again.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

They are building new coops where Dynasty, West Side and the bagel place are currently. Much more significant than "renovations" as they are due to add several floors (should be in the low tens). Havent been able to get straight whether they are keeping the original structures or tearing them down.

But Koronet was spared. wha-hay.

Thomas Secor

The poop that I have from concerned citizens who live across the street is: Columbia is building yet another highrise apartment building, but perserving the facade of the building and setting the upper floors back a little in exchange for being able to exceed the 10 floor limit (I think 12 are planned). I don't know anything about whether West Side Market will rise from the ashes.

... in related news the discount store next to the Metro movie theater seems to be selling off it's goods. Maybe the Metro's time has come too. :sad:

AAArghhhhhhhh!

This is awful news... Now I'm feeling oooooooold, and I've not been out of Columbia 10 years yet. With Mama Joy's sad departure a couple of years ago (I'm still mourning the loss of their brisket heros), the death of UFM and now West Side too, I'd have no idea where to shop in that neighborhood.

I really credit the cheese sections at UFM and Mama Joys with broadening my palate, and much of my early culinary experimentation (after getting off the CU's meal plan the second semester of freshman year) was significantly influenced by the broad selection and good prices at UFM, West Side and Mama Joys. Do culinarily adventurous kids at CU still have any options in the neighborhood, or would they be forced to walk a mile down to the Gourmet Garage at 96th to get some interesting ingredients?

Truly disheartening... I still remember West Side's prepared entrees fondly... mmmm... spanikopita...

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::wacko:

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

But Koronet was spared.  wha-hay.

DUDE. What would we do without the jumbo slices?!

Do culinarily adventurous kids at CU still have any options in the neighborhood, or would they be forced to walk a mile down to the Gourmet Garage at 96th to get some interesting ingredients?

I'll go to D'agostino's or Fairway now. Probably Fairway, actually. And whenever I'm in the area, I'll do some shopping at the 24th St. Whole Foods--in the past few weeks, their mixed greens and baby spinach have been on sale.

You mean to say that egregious D'ag is still there just below 110th St? The injustice of truly worthwhile stores going under while the worst supermarket in the area keeps plodding along... (OK, it is not the worst supermarket ever, but is significantly below the level of everything else that was in the neighborhood.)

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

You mean to say that egregious D'ag is still there just below 110th St? The injustice of truly worthwhile stores going under while the worst supermarket in the area keeps plodding along... (OK, it is not the worst supermarket ever, but is significantly below the level of everything else that was in the neighborhood.)

Actually I think they closed and redid the D'Ag and then re-opened it. It didn't improve anything, just made it more expensive. I've only set foot in there once and exited about forty seconds later in utter disgust. :angry: and I am SO PISSED OFF about West Side...where the hell am I supposed to walk to get decent cheese??????

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

The D'agostino's is a "D'Ag Fresh" market now. It's vewy, vewy tiny. Crappy cheese selection. But, ya know... when it first opened, I'd go there just to buy bananas, and I still do. West Side and UFM had terrible bananas. I must give credit to D'Ag Fresh--their bananas last me all week. :hmmm:

As far as cheese: Morton Williams expanded the paltry cheese selection that UFM had. The last time I went, they had full wheels of Pierre Robert, which usually sells out fast at Fairway. That impressed me a lot, but overall, prices have gone up.

The problem with Morton Williams, at least for folks in the neighborhood, is that when the new ownership took over, they dumped a lot of folks who worked at UFM, and cut the salaries of anyone who wanted to stay. When this first occurred, students and residents were pushed to boycott the store. How the employees are actually treated, I'm not quite sure. The big stir in the neighborhood, though, was that many employees from UFM were getting cheated, and why? Morton Williams is a pretty big name with, I assume, pretty big money behind them.

Here's further reading on the situation if you're inclined. Also, for anyone interested in the Morningside Heights neighborhood, there's a Yahoo mailing list called MHNET that you can subscribe to.

Columbia Spectator Editorial

News Article From February

Another Editorial

Another News Article

Yet Another Editorial

BTW, I don't mean to pimp Spectator out of favoritism--I think that they've had the most coverage about this specific news item, and a lot of talk on the MHNET has centered around Spectator coverage. And, I don't know the writers, they're all uncool sophomores. :laugh:

Edited for spelling

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

• 3 years later...

This summer, after being closed for about three years, the West Side Market reopened at the corner of 110th and Broadway. I stuck my head in this morning and the new digs look great.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)