• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffeehouse and Cafe Reviews

phaelon56

Hi Mooshmouse,

Nice to be on board.

I am will Caffe Artigiano, but I work along side all baristas who would like to elevate the level of coffee in this city.

By the way,

I love Prado. Here is a cafe that is completely different from any cafe in the city (which is a nice change). Most new cafes are trying to copy some other cafe with either decor or art, but I must hand it to Prado, I feel like I'm in Soho when I'm at this cafe. Obviously minimilistic decor, but the people that run this cafe on Commercial drive sure love coffee and it shows.

They've just opened up and I think they're doing a wonderful job.

vin :biggrin:

Also putting theory to practice must be an issue at the cafes that you ascribe to as well. Don't you think?

No argument here. The places i mentioned have the same issues. I think because of the volume your establishment enjoys you have the option of affording the three baristas and their friendly comp/policing. They can also keep up with the millions of people coming through your doors. All the places i mentioned staff less and when they get slammed have to suffer through it. Often resulting in some 'underattended' shots . As you know, some places get around this bc its easier to pass off a less than perfect shot under twenty ounces of steamed, flavoured milk. Others by assuming the customer can't tell the difference. (oh i hate that).

To be honest, when i pass on an artigiano coffee - it is more often cuz i want to sit in a different room. You guys have already made it.

Good luck with the roasting.

3WC

I worked for 2 years in one of those cafes. Most of the time, I was the only one on that machine, doing everything, and it's actually easier to attend to your shots if you only have one going at a time. I could dust anyone I ever worked with at that job for turning out coffees, but it still took me a couple of weeks to adjust to the pace of Artigiano. Anyone can be taught to make a great coffee, but turning out a great coffee every 30 seconds for 8 or more hours... that is a different game entirely.

I remember one prominent barista that was in the store one day that was amazed that we have to preprep the milk... thinking back... I did, once upon a time, prep milk for every single coffee I made.

Someone suggested the West Van store wasn't as friendly. I doubt that. One of the luxuries of having 5 stores is that we will randomly swap people between stores for a week, so most of the full time staff have worked at at least one of the other stores. Some have worked at all 5 - like me. And some have worked at all 5, plus the stores in Korea. Something else that needs to be taken into account is that every store has a different clientele, which expect different things from the staff.

Barrett Jones - 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters

Dwell Time - my coffee and photography site

Someone suggested the West Van store wasn't as friendly. I doubt that. One of the luxuries of having 5 stores is that we will randomly swap people between stores for a week, so most of the full time staff have worked at at least one of the other stores. Some have worked at all 5 - like me. And some have worked at all 5, plus the stores in Korea. Something else that needs to be taken into account is that every store has a different clientele, which expect different things from the staff.

I've been frequenting the West Van store since mid-January ... I have a number of jobs in the area and it's the best coffee on my route. My experience with respect to staff is that they are as friendly and helpful as any of the other Artigiano's, and certainly as any other coffee house of the same ilk. I've reached the point where I'm even being recognized and my drink of choice is remembered.

My only comment about the West Van Artigiano (aside from the cramped space around the bar) is that the complex it's in, The Marketplace (or whatever it's called) feels very Disneyland-ish. That chic feeling you get from having a really good espresso seems out of place in the faux-Whistler surroundings. Even The Home Depot feels kind wierd. I know Artigiano has nothing to do with this ... but I'm always expecting Mickey Mouse to bring me my biscotti!

A.

Someone suggested the West Van store wasn't as friendly. I doubt that. One of the luxuries of having 5 stores is that we will randomly swap people between stores for a week, so most of the full time staff have worked at at least one of the other stores.

Been several times. Love the coffee. Service (on most occasions) has been pretty abysmal. Glad to hear I'm alone on this. :smile:

Something else that needs to be taken into account is that every store has a different clientele, which expect different things from the staff.

Ha! A good dig at West Van, the fledgling Republic of Zero Manners.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Hi Andrew,

Last time you ripped us in West Van, (I believe you said our bubble will burst or something along that line) I fired the staff member you complained about. I have put some of my best staff on board now in West Van. I know we went through a learning curve in West Van but to keep saying the service is abysmal after I have corrected the problem is not fair to the staff that are working there now.

Please don't dwell on what happened to you a while back. We have worked non stop to fix whatever problems we had on opening. Your're in the restaurant business and should know that you don't have great days everyday. It's no excuse but bad things happen to great staff.

I'd love to meet you one day and pick your brain. Where do you work? Is it in West Van?

Also there is no dig at West Van. Each location is different. For instance Kerrisdale likes there milk generally hotter, West Van clients tend to be in more of a rush to get over the bridge, Downtown clients are also different in other ways. Not all clients are the same of course.

All in all we try to run our coffeehouses the best we can.

Vin

good to see our coffee/cafe thread active again. I have to say that coffee is sometimes under -valued in discussions as some people don't see it in the same way as food/wine, but it is so prevalent in our world - Vancouver at least! My obsession continues...

Coffee at home is waning right now, we tried a very expensive pound of Intelligentsia, not sure of roast date etc. I'm back to JJ, they are roasting often enough for me, although I am now toying with the concept of a new toy ... a home roaster - maybe I just have to get out more :wacko: .

Looking forward to JJ on Main - looks like they are nearing readiness. Been only once to Artigiano and need to get there more often - and (clearly I've been hibernating :huh: ) as I haven't been to Prado yet! See you out there - S

off topic, but Arne, are the dogs addicted to cafeine?

Coffee at home is waning right now, we tried a very expensive pound of Intelligentsia, not sure of roast date etc. I'm back to JJ, they are roasting often enough for me, although I am now toying with the concept of a new toy ... a home roaster - maybe I just have to get out more  :wacko:

Within 7 days. We run out intentionally, so that freshness never becomes an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say that I'm ecstatic to have a coffee shop like Prado in the 'hood! So are a lot of other people, apparently, as it was packed on Saturday morning.

Owned by an ex-JJBean staffer, Prado offers a different vibe that anything else I've found on The Drive. Hip and minimalist in its decor, to be certain, but that's part of the appeal for me. Friendly baristi with an average of 3 years' experience under their belts who pull a good shot and are very aware of the importance of consistency. The Intelligentisia beans they use definitely have a different flavour profile than the Stumptown that Alistair is currently using at The Elysian Room -- lighter and not as full bodied but still very tasty. No complaints from me whatsoever on the lattes and cappuccinos I've had there to date. Prado also sells lots of great freshly-baked goods for snacking... the peach crumble and cream cheese muffin I'm eating right now is fabulous as are their ginger cardamom cookies.

Vin, you were absolutely right when you said:

the people that run this cafe on Commercial drive sure love coffee and it shows.
If you're ever on The Drive, be sure to check it out. :smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Have to say that I'm ecstatic to have a coffee shop like Prado in the 'hood!  So are a lot of other people, apparently, as it was packed on Saturday morning.

Owned by an ex-JJBean staffer, Prado offers a different vibe that anything else I've found on The Drive.  Hip and minimalist in its decor, to be certain, but that's part of the appeal for me.  Friendly baristi with an average of 3 years' experience under their belts who pull a good shot and are very aware of the importance of consistency.  The Intelligentisia beans they use definitely have a different flavour profile than the Stumptown that Alistair is currently using at The Elysian Room -- lighter and not as full bodied but still very tasty.  No complaints from me whatsoever on the lattes and cappuccinos I've had there to date.  Prado also sells lots of great freshly-baked goods for snacking... the peach crumble and cream cheese muffin I'm eating right now is fabulous as are their ginger cardamom cookies.

Vin, you were absolutely right when you said:

the people that run this cafe on Commercial drive sure love coffee and it shows.
If you're ever on The Drive, be sure to check it out. :smile:

Mooshmouse,

I went to Prado a few weeks a ago and I agree that the room is beautiful and the vibe is hip, clean, and fun. I also agree with you that the lattes have a very different flavor profile - much much lighter than Artigiano. At the time I was wondering if this was a weakness or simply a different style of coffee. I have only known the really dark italian style roasts so I am not sure how to approach Prado's style.

My analogy on this is when people have 'real' Cantonese food for the first time - and it is much blander then they expect Chinese food to be. But Cantonese food should be all about freshness and finesse - so there is an education process.

I wonder if we have been indoctrinated into dark dark roasts and have lost our appreciation of lighter styles of coffee (aren't scandanavians big coffee drinkers who prefer a lighter roast)?

As I said posted earlier - all this was touched off by an article by Edward Behr's the Art of Eating. It is interesting to me that you enjoyed their coffee and that Prado is enjoying alot of business.

The important thing is that you enjoyed the coffee and another local enterprise has found support and, hopefully, success.

I wonder if we have been indoctrinated into dark dark roasts and have lost our appreciation of lighter styles of coffee (aren't scandanavians big coffee drinkers who prefer a lighter roast)?

Not this Norwegian! :laugh:

JJ Bean on Main Street (@14th Ave) is now open.

I drove by it this morning but was too busy to stop! Guess where I'll be tomorrow morning!

A.

I arrived at the doorstep of the new JJ Bean only to find the door locked. Hell, it was 9:00 ...wtf? Somebody opens up ... turns out the soft openings aren't until 10am, but what the hell, you're here, so come on in and let me make you a drink.

Let me first say this ... the new JJ Bean gets my vote for "Coolest New Room" in Vancouver. WOW! Black slate floors, quarter-sawn white oak panelling, light lime green mosaic tiling ... and a frickin' 3-sided zero-clearance fireplace in the middle of the room! The chairs are really comfortable, and in the bank there's a raised leather banquette that would seat about 4 or 5. From there you can sit and sip coffee, and laugh at the poor dopes across the street at *$'s! :laugh:

They're using their Nero Forte roast for their shots now. Not that I'm bragging or anything :rolleyes: but J & I have been using this roast for our espresso for years! Really creamy without some of the bitterness they were getting from the Palimino (aka Espresso JJ). I'll have to go back for a true espresso taste test tomorrow. I needed a latte this morning ... no food in the house :wacko:

VERY glad to have this in my work neighbourhood.

A.

• 2 weeks later...
Mooshmouse,

I went to Prado a few weeks a ago and I agree that the room is beautiful and the vibe is hip, clean, and fun.  I also agree with you that the lattes have a very different flavor profile - much much lighter than Artigiano.  At the time I was wondering if this was a weakness or simply a different style of coffee.  I have only known the really dark italian style roasts so I am not sure how to approach Prado's style.

My analogy on this is when people have 'real' Cantonese food for the first time - and it is much blander then they expect Chinese food to be.  But Cantonese food should be all about freshness and finesse - so there is an education process.

As I said posted earlier - all this was touched off by an article by Edward Behr's the Art of Eating.  It is interesting to me that you enjoyed their coffee and that Prado is enjoying alot of business. 

The important thing is that you enjoyed the coffee and another local enterprise has found support and, hopefully, success.

Since originally reading your post, Lee, I've given much thought to your question about dark dark roasts.

I guess I'd liken my response to coffee to how I drink wine. Big, full-bodied, beat-you-over-the-head Cabernet Sauvignon isn't what I want to drink all the time; neither do I want a super-dark roast every time I have a cup of coffee. Different coffee roasts (light, medium, dark) exist for a reason, and I find a definite taste difference between a lighter-roasted coffee and one that is simply insipid and bland. Mind you, this is coming from a complete coffee neophyte and reflects my own personal preferences.

That being said, I thought I'd post my appreciation for the rich, full-bodied, creamy cappuccino that Alistair pulled for me today in the appropriate thread. :wub:

gallery_18820_923_4631.jpg

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 2 months later...

Kokopelli on Dunbar: New place for sweets and other treats and bring the kids!

There's a new coffee shop on Dunbar across from Stong's. The good news is they do ALL their own baking AND they've got a huge play section for kids. It's got that just out of the package feeling-a bit stark, but a few large paintings on the walls and the place will be looking good. I love the fabric-covered sound baffles on the ceiling. I know about twenty other places in Vancouver that could use those!!!. The staff are so friendly it's surreal. They have adult grilled cheese sandwiches and kids grilled cheese sandwiches. I had the former, which I didn't realize had cheddar and brie-one or the other would be fine. The bread was great. I can't wait to taste their brownies and "chocolate croissants".

The Kokopelli is some kind of South American trickster character, and the people who named the place said it's easy for children to say.

They also brew their own unsweetened iced tea.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Now that I am completely converted to Artigiano or Elysian Room (depends on which direction I am headed to work) I need to ask - is the skim latte really a skim latte? I just finished an Artigiano latte and I swear to God I was drinking pure cream. I guess that is the art form. But man oh man does it ever make the other coffee-like drinks pale in comparison. Names not to be mentioned but you know to what I refer :wink:

Cheers,

Karole

• 4 weeks later...

Across from the Urban Fare in Yaletown (actually right across from the Starbuck's) is a new coffee place called Cito (I think that's the spelling).

They are definitely trying for serious coffee house status with an elegant interior and a custom made espresso machine from Seattle.

The coffee is very good and worth checking out .....although it doesn't beat the gold standard - Elysian Room.

Kokopelli on Dunbar: New place for sweets and other treats and bring the kids!

There's a new coffee shop on Dunbar across from Stong's.

Zuke

Thanks for the info Zuke...I've been looking over at the place & wondering about it. How did you hear about Kokopelli?

Who gets around town more than you do?

Now that I am completely converted to Artigiano or Elysian Room (depends on which direction I am headed to work) I need to ask - is the skim latte really a skim latte? I just finished an Artigiano latte and I swear to God I was drinking pure cream. I guess that is the art form. But man oh man does it ever make the other coffee-like drinks pale in comparison. Names not to be mentioned but you know to what I refer :wink:

Artigiano does not use skim milk - it's 1%. It's no secret either, the baristas will gladly tell you. We have 1% and homo milk and soy in the fridge. The problem with skim milk is it steams horribly. I would much prefer to steam a decent soy milk or even rice milk over steaming skim milk again. Rather than a silky froth, you get a fluffy... substance on top of your coffee. It's just not my idea of a good time.

Now, for another tip: If you are serious about your coffee, try a traditional breve macchiato... it's somewhere between an old school italian macchiato, and a latte, but made with cream... about 5oz in total. It's a favorite amongst several of the baristi.

The Kokopelli is some kind of South American trickster character, and the people who named the place said it's easy for children to say.

I think it actually is from the southwestern United States - you see them all over Arizona and New Mexico. Ironic that they picked it for the children, as it is a fertility deity! In some of the native american tribes (I think the Hopi) young girls are afraid of him, because he distributes unborn children!

Go figure!

Cheers!

Across from the Urban Fare in Yaletown (actually right across from the Starbuck's) is a new coffee place called Cito (I think that's the spelling).

They are definitely trying for serious coffee house status with an elegant interior and  a custom made espresso machine from Seattle.

the machine is a Synesso. custom made?

Edited by 3WholeCardamoms (log)

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

In pretty much all the shops pouring latte art, if you don't specify skim milk, you'll be getting homo by default. It's easier to steam and, if you tried a skim and homo sided by side, it just makes a better latte.