• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffeehouse and Cafe Reviews

phaelon56

• 1 month later...

I was on my way to Granville Island yesterday and happened upon a new-ish coffee house called Blondy's Coffee on W. 4th between Pine & Burrard. The coffee was great and the shop had a good vibe to it.

Liked the business cards too. I took a photo but I can't figure out how to get it out of Image Gullet and into my post. Does anyone know how to post photos here??? Thanks!

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

• 2 months later...

Just noticed that Wicked Cafe has opened a new branch at 861 Hornby between Robson and Smithe. The coffee at the original W 7th location is awesome, and the place is usually packed, so I'm sure they'll do well with their new branch.

My top 5 places for great coffee downtown:

1) Mario's

2) JJ Bean

3) Melriches

4) Take 5

5) Wicked Cafe (provisionally - haven't tried them yet!)

Just noticed that Wicked Cafe has opened a new branch at 861 Hornby between Robson and Smithe. The coffee at the original W 7th location is awesome, and the place is usually packed, so I'm sure they'll do well with their new branch.

1) Mario's

2) JJ Bean

3) Melriches

4) Take 5

Have you checked out Uva? They're operating as an espresso bar on Mondays to Fridays, from 7 - 2. The barista pulls an excellent espresso, and it's a lovely room to boot!

Quentina

1) Mario's

2) JJ Bean

3) Melriches

4) Take 5

Have you checked out Uva? They're operating as an espresso bar on Mondays to Fridays, from 7 - 2. The barista pulls an excellent espresso, and it's a lovely room to boot!

Uva eh? I haven't tried it yet but I'll definitely make the pilgrimage, especially as it sounds like it's a good place to relax. Thanks!

I have recently been visiting Moja Coffee, and figure I should share the secret... y'all are bound to find out soon enough. The company started as a tiny roaster serving Thomas Haas and the local specialty market (a few restaurants, then Whole Foods etcl). They recently moved into a new building in North Vancouver, at 1412 Rupert Street (no, not THAT Rupert Street) near the base of the Second Narrows - it's just off Main close to Canadian Tire.

In addition to their beans (which are outstanding, and $13-15 for 400g), they're now serving espresso drinks, drip coffee, and Haas hot chocolate and pastries. It's been pretty dead in there, as the location is brand new, so I have been using them to get my croissant fix without having to fight the horde down at Thomas' place. Well, that and the coffee is awesome, and they don't laugh at my Starbucks travel mug. Right now they are only open 9-5 Mon-Fri, which is understandable since their staff consists of the owners and one part time worker!

Needless to say it is a labour of love with them... and you know the coffee is fresh when you can literally see the roaster working in the back room from a window next to the till.

http://www.mojacoffee.com/

Edited by Nicholas Ellan (log)

• 2 weeks later...

1) Mario's

2) JJ Bean

3) Melriches

4) Take 5

I think I'm going to have to amend my list - I had forgotten about Bambo Cafe at the corner of Cambie and Cordova in Gastown. I've been impressed with their consistency - just went there again for a really tasty americano. And the owner is really nice too.

I have recently been visiting Moja Coffee, and figure I should share the secret... y'all are bound to find out soon enough.  The company started as a tiny roaster serving Thomas Haas and the local specialty market (a few restaurants, then Whole Foods etcl).  They recently moved into a new building in North Vancouver, at 1412 Rupert Street (no, not THAT Rupert Street) near the base of the Second Narrows - it's just off Main close to Canadian Tire.

Thanks for posting this, I'll be sure to check them out.

Is that the original Thomas Haas location?

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 2 weeks later...

Man, talk about not fooling around: It looks like Caffe Artigiano has no fewer than three locations in the works for the Broadway corridor. One is rumoured to be on Broadway, West of MacDonald across from the newly opened Dolcetto Cafe. Another is opening in the London Drugs (yes inside) on Broadway near Cambie and across from the new Elysian Room Cafe and a couple of doors down from a newly opened Blenz, and the third one is opening right next door to the Tim Hortons on W. Broadway!

Of the three locations any bets as to which of the "competition" will not suffer from C.A. moving in?

I love to see C.A make it big, they've got a good product, and kick-a ambiance.

Oddly enough there was a great cafe chain called, I think (sp?) Torrefazione?, and I really liked the cafe they had in West Van. Then, all of a sudden they dissapeared. Stah-bucks bought them out and subsequently shut them down. I hope this is not what will happen to C.A. ......

I love to see C.A make it big, they've got a good product, and kick-a ambiance.

Oddly enough there was a great cafe chain called, I think (sp?) Torrefazione?, and I really liked the cafe they had in West Van.  Then, all of a sudden they dissapeared.  Stah-bucks bought them out and subsequently shut them down.  I hope this is not what will happen to C.A. ......

Torrefazione may be gone as a place (from Seattle too) but an amazing number of new places keep us buzzing. The beans are still available in some grocery stores.

Okay, I made the trek to Caffe Atrigiano and while the latte was fine (I know, I should experience it in a cleaner way) I was dumbstruck that the pastry case was full of the same junk as was available from the hotel continental breakfast - assumed it was Costco or similar. That would turn me off as a regular.

Man, talk about not fooling around: It looks like Caffe Artigiano has no fewer than three locations in the works for the Broadway corridor. One is rumoured to be on Broadway, West of MacDonald across from the newly opened Dolcetto Cafe. Another is opening in the London Drugs (yes inside) on Broadway near Cambie and across from the new Elysian Room Cafe and a couple of doors down from a newly opened Blenz, and the third one is opening right next door to the Tim Hortons on W. Broadway!

Of the three locations any bets as to which of the "competition" will not suffer from C.A. moving in?

The one across from Dolcetto is more than a rumour: Artigiano signs are already up inside and out. It is about four doors east of the Tim Horton's on West Broadway at Balaclava, next to the hobby store. Is there another Timmy Ho's on West Broadway, or are you talking about the small one at Hemlock in the gas station?

The one across from Dolcetto is more than a rumour: Artigiano signs are already up inside and out. It is about four doors east of the Tim Horton's on West Broadway at Balaclava, next to the hobby store. Is there another Timmy Ho's on West Broadway, or are you talking about the small one at Hemlock in the gas station?

Oh yeah there's another Tim's, a big "mothership" about half-way between Oak and Cambie beside the Shoppers.

Oh yeah there's another Tim's, a big "mothership" about half-way between Oak and Cambie beside the Shoppers.

Right, I remember it now -- and I think I know the vacancy you are talking about. That is some expansion!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A shout out to My Local Cafe (3770 W 10th Ave just west of Alma). They make all their own baked goods and they're veg/vegan friendly.

What a great group of staff they have there. Genuinely friendly, engaged, and willing to take suggestions. When I asked what they were making it turned out to be steamed fruit, which they gave me a sample of. It left me thinking "Why is this kind of service so rare??"

A shout out to My Local Cafe (3770 W 10th Ave just west of Alma). They make all their own baked goods and they're veg/vegan friendly.

What a great group of staff they have there. Genuinely friendly, engaged, and willing to take suggestions. When I asked what they were making it turned out to be steamed fruit, which they gave me a sample of. It left me thinking "Why is this kind of service so rare??"

Thanks for the tip Kentan! I pass by there almost daily and have been curious about it. Will check it out soon - it sounds lovely.