• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

boulder, colorado

mongo_jones

two colleagues and i drank three pitchers of something called annapurna amber ale at the southern sun microbrewery/bar on thursday night. we selected it after sampling two other brews (one rye, i forget now what the other was). the others were good too, and we'll probably hit one of them the next time out, but the amber was really, really good. it was great by itself and also as an accompaniment to a fairly decent mushroom-swiss burger and fries.

i always like to try the porter if a microbrewery brews one, but the one on the night (i don't know if their selections are fixed or change--everything was written on a chalkboard) was infused with an unholy amount of coffee, and i wasn't in the mood to stay up all night.

i'll probably go through everything southern sun has on tap before moving to the next brewery--if there is interest i can report my findings here.

two colleagues and i drank three pitchers of something called annapurna amber ale at the southern sun microbrewery/bar on thursday night. we selected it after sampling two other brews (one rye, i forget now what the other was). the others were good too, and we'll probably hit one of them the next time out, but the amber was really, really good. it was great by itself and also as an accompaniment to a fairly decent mushroom-swiss burger and fries.

i always like to try the porter if a microbrewery brews one, but the one on the night (i don't know if their selections are fixed or change--everything was written on a chalkboard) was infused with an unholy amount of coffee, and i wasn't in the mood to stay up all night.

i'll probably go through everything southern sun has on tap before moving to the next brewery--if there is interest i can report my findings here.

Isn't the place in Boulder called Mountain Sun? Great beers, and some very good food, and the 60's hippie vibe thrown in for good measure.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Isn't the place in Boulder called Mountain Sun?  Great beers, and some very good food, and the 60's hippie vibe thrown in for good measure.

Mountain Sun opened a second location in Boulder called Southern Sun.

"There's a whole lotta things I ain't never done, but I ain't never had too much fun" Commander Cody

so, i returned to southern sun this evening for drinks with another colleague. i sampled a number of their selections and settled upon three beers for the evening: the coreshot pale ale, the galloping goose steam, and the annapurna amber (again, since i'd liked it so much the first time out). i usually like to drink only one beer for a session but figured i needed to diversify if i wanted to move on to any other breweries!

both the pale ale and the steam were very, very good--and i'd recommend them to first time visitors. i sampled their i.p.a as well--it was good but a little too hoppy for me. i had asked the bartender if their ipa was very hoppy, and he'd said he didn't think it was--but this is a college town, and the bartender was barely 21, so i don't know what that means; it is entirely possible that i am too much of a hop-wimp. (he did tell me though that they essentially have the exact same selection as their older sibling mountain su.)

so far the annapurna amber is my favorite.

i wish i could go to these place with people like brooks, rich, paul, susan, and others of you here who really know beer much better than i do. like i said earlier, i think i have a very good instinctive beer palate but i'd love to have a true expert explain some of the differences that i perceive to me. perhaps someday we can have an egullet beer forum summit in boulder!

Sounds like you're doing just fine, Mongo.

Hope you get to try REDFISH; my last visit there they put out some killer Belgian brews, and some very nice Cajun cooking. Also OASIS is worth a visit.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Hope to get to try REDFISH; my last visit there they put out some killer Belgian brews, and some very nice Cajun cooking. Also OASIS is worth a visit.

Just so you know, Oasis is no more. (It closed down at the end of 2002)

• 1 month later...

Hope to get to try REDFISH; my last visit there they put out some killer Belgian brews, and some very nice Cajun cooking.  Also OASIS is worth a visit.

really? i had some very nice oasis scarab red with dinner last night. out of a bottle. did someone else buy their operations? or was i served 2 year old beer?

Hope to get to try REDFISH; my last visit there they put out some killer Belgian brews, and some very nice Cajun cooking.  Also OASIS is worth a visit.

really? i had some very nice oasis scarab red with dinner last night. out of a bottle. did someone else buy their operations? or was i served 2 year old beer?

That question really threw me. Oasis was located on Canyon, across the street from the library, and I know it closed, and supposedly was shutting down all operations. It was big news locally when they shut down. I don't drink beer, so I didn't know that the brand lives on. I just did some checking, and found this quoted explanation at the beerme website. Apparently, they became a beer marketing company, with the beers being brewed by Rockies Brewing.

PO Box 4297

Boulder CO 80306

+1 303-449-0363

+1 303-449-0263

Opened: 1992.

Brewer: Rockies Brewing.

5,000 bbl annual production.

Update This Information

Nice big place, with a long long bar and pretty good beers. Neato ceiling fans in this place. Pool tables upstairs. Real good fish and chips. The owners of Oasis had planned to close their brewery on New Year's Day 2003, but some reprehensible vandals forced them to shut down two days early. Now Oasis operates as a beer marketing company; their beers are brewed by Rockies Brewing.

Edit to add: Rockies Brewing is having a celebration today for their 25th Anniversary, at the parking lot of the brewery...

Edited by afoodnut (log)

The Oasis used to run a brewing and bottling operation w/tasting room out on Walnut at 32nd Street. Twisted Pine bought it, and the tasting room is open again -- a bar, a few tables and billliards, nothing fancy, but nice folk and decent beer. They're open 3-8 weekdays and noon to 8 (I think) on Saturdays.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain