• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes/pictures/glossaries/blogs

Jinmyo

• 3 months later...

Can some of the posters recommend their favorite Japanese recipe sites (not English language ones)?

Obviously, I could Google up a million Japanese recipe sites, but which are the best ones? Something along the lines of a Japanese version of Epicurious or even RecipeGullet would be nice. The following features would be pluses:

-Directed at serious home cooks/foodies (or professionals)

-User ratings and comments, as found on Epicurious

-Either focused on traditional and modern Japanese cooking, or contains a good selection thereof

For example, I'm not looking for a bunch of Italian and cake recipes in Japanese, but Asian-Japanese "fusion" recipes are OK. Examples of the latter would be Japanese takes on Korean and Chinese food. Wagashi recipes would also be of interest, either the traditional kind or modern variations.

Thanks.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

How about some sites for good pan recipes (like the ones in pan-ya sans). I love pans so much Im willing to translate a recipe myself if I know the recipe is likely to be a good one.

Thanks Hiroyuki. Large is good, too. What do you think about the quality of the recipes on Cookpad?

Are there any other recipe sites that you can recommend with a good selection of Japanese recipes?

Kiem Hwa: Are you looking for Japanese buns and pastries?

Thanks Hiroyuki. Large is good, too. What do you think about the quality of the recipes on Cookpad?

Cookpad is a site of recipes of ordinary people for ordinary people.

cookpad reminds me of the site allrecipes, I have used it a couple times with good result.

I really like the recipes from Elle a table magazine, though they don't have that many on their website it is still nice. They are often western style recipes/techniques but using Japanese ingredients.

Bob & Angie is really nice, I use this one the most probably...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Sarensho,

I'm afraid there are no Japaneses site comparable to Epicurious of RecipeGullet. I really wish there were.

Cookpad, as Kristin pointed out, is like All Recipes. Huge huge collection of untested recipes. Very hard to wade through (probably due more to my reading ability than the layout of the site), and the few recipes I've tried there didn't turn out so well.

I've had much better luck with Bob & Angie, but I again I find the site hard to use.

My favourite source for Japanese recipes is the Yahoo Japan Gourmet Recipe site. Really easy to navigate.

First you choose the cuisine (Japanese, western or Chinese/ethnic), and then the cooking style (deep-fry, saute, simmer etc). The search can be further narrowed by ingredient. The results are displayed 10 recipes per page with a picture, short description, prep time and calories. There's also a search engine, of course. Also a seperate collection desserts and sweets, searchable in the same way.

A really great way to browse, and the simplicity and layout make it really easy for those of us who can't read so well.

The recipes themselves are well-formatted, many with step-by-step pictures. No idea if they've been tested or not, but I've had good like with all the recipes I've used.

Hope this helps!

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Great suggestions, everyone! I've bookmarked all the links and will be exploring them over the coming weeks. Any more suggestions, particularly along the lines of "ethnic" influenced food, desserts using wagashi ingredients, and Japanese bread/pastries would be appreciated.

I agree that CookPad is similar to AllRecipes and would seem to suffer from some of the same drawbacks (untested recipes). However, one of the strong points of the Japanese recipe sites is their extensive use of photos. One of my pet peeves are cookbooks that lack photos. The same criticism could be leveled at the Epicurious and the FoodNetwork/FoodTV recipe sites. As a visual person, I find images to be very inspiring.

I will also ask my wife to pick up a copy of Shokusai Roman and Elle a Table when she visits Japan next month. Are there any other good foodie-oriented magazines? I'm a little bored with the usual magazines such as OrangePage, Kyo no Ryori, etc.

There's also Yasuko-San's Home Cooking, in Japanese and English.

I used to have a link to Emiko Kaminuma's Cooking Time (an Asahi TV broadcast), with recipes for Japanese, Chinese, and Western dishes, but they redid the website. The English link is broken and I can't find the Japanese link. Kristin???

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I used to have a link to Emiko Kaminuma's Cooking Time (an Asahi TV broadcast), with recipes for Japanese, Chinese, and Western dishes, but they redid the website. The English link is broken and I can't find the Japanese link. Kristin???

:biggrin:

here you go

Emiko Kaminuma's Oshaberi Cooking

I will also ask my wife to pick up a copy of Shokusai Roman and Elle a Table when she visits Japan next month. Are there any other good foodie-oriented magazines? I'm a little bored with the usual magazines such as OrangePage, Kyo no Ryori, etc.

have you seen the magazine thread?

The newest issue of Elle a Table (July #20) is really good, it should be in stores until 7/31.

The July issue of Shokusai Roman is about curry, I haven't picked it up yet though. It should be in stores until about 7/15.

I actually have a few links but I havent tried out the recipes yet....takes alot of time to translate them..... :raz:

Thanks for the links. Let us know if you get stuck with the translations and I'm sure some of us could help out.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know this visual search engine?

http://www.marsflag.com/

Just click on the tenth item, 料理レシピ, below the black-and-white dog, and you will get numerous sites on recipes.

Caution: Children under the age of 15 are requested to use this search engine under the guidance and supervision of guardians.

• 2 weeks later...

3-pun Cooking TV Show has a lot of recipes on its site, though it probably doesn't qualify for what you consider to be "serious" cooking! Dancyu magazine's site has some recipes that are presumably analogous to Epicurious, but are fairly small in number.

So for fairly high-end recipes, as far as I know, I think Tsuji Acad. is probably your best bet. . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 7 months later...

This is not strictly a food blog, but Up and Down Japan will cronicle my cross-Japan tour. The tour is 3 weeks and runs from Hokkaido down to Okinawa. The focus of the tour is on Japan and its culture and people, but I'm sure there will be plenty of good eating along the way. And I will be taking lots of pictures and trying to add as much food-related content as possible.

The tour runs from March 6th to 26th, but the blog has already begun and will continue beyond the tour.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

This is not strictly a food blog, but Up and Down Japan will cronicle my cross-Japan tour. The tour is 3 weeks and runs from Hokkaido down to Okinawa. The focus of the tour is on Japan and its culture and people, but I'm sure there will be plenty of good eating along the way. And I will be taking lots of pictures and trying to add as much food-related content as possible.

The tour runs from March 6th to 26th, but the blog has already begun and will continue beyond the tour.

This sounds great!

I am looking forward to it.

• 8 months later...