• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef- Episode 2

TrishCT

Alton Brown or whatever his name is really annnoyed me with his horrid pronunciation of zeppole...."ZE- POLE-AYYY" instead of "ZEP-OLE-EEE"

Like come on.....

No need to insult Alton. Zeppole is one, zeppoli is many?

Hmm...I'm Italian and a bit confused now...I've never heard zeppole referred to in the singular....However in Italian, feminine nouns which end in A as in "ragazza" change to, in their plural form, an E as in ragazze. Masculine nouns which end in an O, when pluralized, change to an I. RagazzO to ragazzI....

I've only seen zepolle spelled as such, here and in Italy.

Am I wrong?

(sorry if I offended you about Alton, btw, something about him just irritates me...)

I hail from the Italy as well, and I have always called them zippole, and that indicates a noun that has female gender and is plural. I believe the singular is zippola, and it is rare to encounter just one...too yummy to serve but in piles of warm soft goodness ( covered with honey if sweet or stuffed with cheese and capers or an anchovy if savoury). Maybe I know them as zippole because I was introduced to them by my Calabrian grandmother? My Milanese cousins and uncle claim ignorance. My Tuscan mother is no great help either. Batali, if I am not incorrect, went North rather than South during his stint in Italy, maybe that's why he called them, was it zeppole? I tend to block out any Italian that I hear unless it is spoken by natives, so I don't really recall what word Alton used, except that it sounded phonetically incorrect.

Seriously though, can anyone really blame anyone for mispronouncing words in a language they are not familiar with? Should Alton then take lessons in how to pronounce foodstuffs, cooking techniques and dishes in all languages? I think that is asking a bit much. I bet the Japanese commentators butchered non Japanese food words as well; we just didn't get to hear them do it.

Edited by sanguinella (log)

tu autem servasti bonum vinum usque adhuc

Thanks Sanguinella.....

I thought I was going pazzo :) for a sec. Even called my grandma to reassure me. Zeppole is female plural (never with an "i" ending). Technically there could be a zeppolA...and she has seen it spelled zippole same as you in you guessed it...Calabria!

Mille Grazie,

lisa

Back to the apparent spitting. I checked my Tivo and it absolutely happened. If it wasn't spitting, and was instead some obscure culinary technique, I'd really like someone in the know to explain it to me. I was truly shocked when I went back to view the segment again. Yuck! :wacko:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Back to the apparent spitting. I checked my Tivo and it absolutely happened. If it wasn't spitting, and was instead some obscure culinary technique, I'd really like someone in the know to explain it to me. I was truly shocked when I went back to view the segment again. Yuck! :wacko:

=R=

i played this over and over on my tivo. he does shoot his head forward (not back and to the left) and it does sorta look like it but then they cut away really quickly. so who can really tell what happened? i didn't see anything fly out of his mouth. why would anyone spit into the food on tv? there's a question for the director...

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Zeppole is female plural (never with an "i" ending). Technically there could be a zeppolA...

Got it. I'm NOT Italian, so I looked around on the web and got my "zeppole, zeppoli" info from www.sicilianculture.com where they devoted a page to discussing them. And of course, there are few guarantees on the accuracy of what one finds on the Internet! Thanks for the explanation.

Dear God, more problems ensued. Mario Batali versus Morimoto. This was a better battle than Flay/Sakai, though. I actually enjoyed it.

More to follow...I have to review tape before I can give you my full report.

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

Well, here we go. It was Iron Chef Japanese Masaharu Morimoto versus Mario Batali. And the lucky theme is...Spiny Lobster! Now, I believe that the lobsters were American, am I right? Anyway, my bets were already placed on Morimoto to take it, but I wasn't quite sure he knew what he was doing.

You could clearly see that Morimoto was tense and wanted to get everything he had planned done. Yeah, the running around was a big clue when it was presented. But for the cooking perspective, he was actually going into the Middle East with one of his dishes. I didn't even know that the people over there have that kind of lobster dishes anyway.

And speaking of Batali...now how can a chef pour a somewhat flammable liquid into a pot and not even look at what he/she is doing? Well, ask Molto Mario himself. One more thing to pay attention to: Batali was right. I think that the best way to cook lobster is to wrap it in something and just deep-fry the whole thing until it's just perfect.

So, who do the judges agree with? Well, they agreed with someone, all right. Let me tell you, the results were "molto borno" with Molto Mario. I actually think that the judges were right on that one, to tell the truth. I think that Batali's dishes were clearly better than Morimoto's dishes.

I also think my predictions are now at 0-2 at this point in the series.

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

I'm fairly certain the reason Mario turned his head away from the pot before he flamed it is because he didn't want to singe any of the hair on his face off.

I'm sure he's done it enough times to know where and how much to pour. Either that, or he just got distracted by something.

I really just think he didnt wanna burn any hair.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

Re: zeppole, Lo Zingarelli says...

zeppola ciambelle o frittelle dolci che si preparano sopratutto per carnevale, o per S. Guiseppe, a Napoli, in Calabria e in altre regioni meridionali

Ring shaped cakes or sweet fritters that are prepared above all for carneval, or for San Giuseppe, in Napoli, in Calabria and in other Southern regions. The plural is zeppole.

--

Back to the apparent spitting.  I checked my Tivo and it absolutely happened.  If it wasn't spitting, and was instead some obscure culinary technique, I'd really like someone in the know to explain it to me.  I was truly shocked when I went back to view the segment again.  Yuck!

he leans forward to smell the food, not spit in the pot. i watched it in sloooow motion and you can see him lean forward and smell the steam, and nothing comes out of his mouth. he does make a weird, spitting-like face, but i think it's just his smelling face.

Back to the apparent spitting.  I checked my Tivo and it absolutely happened.  If it wasn't spitting, and was instead some obscure culinary technique, I'd really like someone in the know to explain it to me.  I was truly shocked when I went back to view the segment again.  Yuck!

he leans forward to smell the food, not spit in the pot. i watched it in sloooow motion and you can see him lean forward and smell the steam, and nothing comes out of his mouth. he does make a weird, spitting-like face, but i think it's just his smelling face.

That must explain it. I wish I hadn't deleted it or I'd go back and watch with your theory in mind. Thanks for your take on it.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com