• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast Anyone?

I had an excellent breakfast at Firefly on Queen Anne. I had the Denver Omelette with Hashbrowns and Fresh Fruit and regular coffee. It was excellent as was the service. Other places had lines out the door and Firefly was near-empty. I don't know why.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I had an excellent breakfast at Firefly on Queen Anne.  I had the Denver Omelette with Hashbrowns and Fresh Fruit and regular coffee.  It was excellent as was the service.  Other places had lines out the door and Firefly was near-empty.  I don't know why.

We've (my neighbors and I ) been avoiding breakfast there (it is now Lumette, not Firefly) because the dinners are so marginal. Thanks for the plug, I'm going to check it out.

We had a decent breakfast at Coastal Kitchen on Saturday, which is nothing new since they usually do breakfast reasonably well, but they did have a new item - gingerbread waffles. Our waitress said the group had sold the Jitterbug, but part of the condition of the sale was being able to take the Gingerbread Waffles with them and add them to the permanent menu at the Coastal Kitchen. I ordered them and thought they were too sweet (duh), but if you like the idea of gingerbread with maple syrup poured on it for breakfast, it might work for you. The waffle is served with orange honey butter, two slices of bacon and two eggs for about $8.50. My sweetheart had the two crabcake, eggs and fruit breakfast. I tried a bite of his crabcake and I didn't like their version at all. I thought they were way too sweet, too, but maybe I just had O.D.ed on sugar for the morning so I couldn't even take the sweetness of a crabcake in panko crumbs. I also thought it was too buttery/greasy.

That said, my bacon and scrambled eggs were very tasty, and the coffee was good. In the future, I should just stick with the Rainbow Rumble - I like it very much, but always order it, so I thought I would venture out into CandyLand with the gingerbread waffle...

• 4 weeks later...

After reading the posts upthread, I've been really wanting to try Geraldine's Counter. Since I had the day off work for Veteran's Day, Matthew, Judy, Iris, and I headed their for lunch. While my food was not particularly good, everything else was great. It's a very bright, attractive room, and was doing a brisk business (lots of kids and babies). I had a hard time deciding among the scrambles, omelets, sandwiches, and amazing-sounding macaroni and cheese. When I looked up their number earlier, I ran into a blog post that recommended the Geraldine's Breakfast Casserole, and described the biscuits as "sublime." So I ordered that meal, but the casserole (sausage, hashbrowns, eggs, cheese) was unfortunately bland, apart from the tasty pico de gallo topping. Not terrible, but lacked the flavor I expected. The biscuit I ordered on the side was dry, flavorless, and seemed like it had been sitting around cut in half for a while. The pancakes of the day were oatmeal with blueberries; would have been a better choice, in retrospect.

Judy ordered the corned beef sandwich, which we all thought was very, very delicious. Rye bread from Columbia City Bakery across the street. Matthew had a hamburger, and praised it--check this out, burger eaters. I thought the french fries were very good too.

Geraldine's is now open for dinner.

We also visited the bakery, got a loaf of excellent bread, tasted some tender, eggy challah, and brought home a delicious pain au chocolat for tea. Also a very attractive room with plenty of tables for coffee/breakfast.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Scrat and I, along with the munchkin, had breakfast at Geraldine's a few weeks ago. I, in fact, also had the breakfast casserole which I enjoyed. Nice place, though the volume is pretty high.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I wasn't as happy with Jitterbug's waffle as I was with their excellent hamburger. Part of this was because they sat me at the counter with my back to the door (it was very cold and wet outside and people would come in and hold the door open while they decided if they wanted to stay or go somewhere else).

As for the waffle, I felt it was underdone, but the slices of ham was among the best I have had in a restaurant. I'll give their breakfast another chance (if I can sit at a table).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons