• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 1)

Rachel Perlow

The fact that the 2nd hand pieces are often quite old is all to the advantage. Often the pieces are made out of...now wait for it...you can remember it...METAL. Like our very old sandwich and waffle grill. You can buy decent Pyrex with all the original ingredients in it...often quite dirty, but I can wash it up very well. The pots and pans can be from Korea or even Japan if you can find them that old.

And then there is the cry of discovery!!! :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Today in the Serendipity shop in the basement of a church in Buffalo - I found a Rosle food mill - same one I own (that apparently sells for $115 online now). It only had one sieve - a mid sized - but for $18 I can pick up the 1 mm which is the most desirable in my view because you can get fine fruit seeds out with it for purees. $15 minus 20%.

Back in the land of incredible second hand stores.

Got a brand new bread machine for $2 on 50% off Sunday for old guys. Not the best brand, but for $2 who can complain.

Also found these two sieves for 50 cents each. I just love 'em.

red sieve.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

So Kerry and I slipped into a Value Village today and I bought a $1.99 bag of gadgets. Included was this:

DSCN0602.JPG

That is an ordinary teaspoon in front for scale.

Any ideas on the purpose? Each little "hat" comes off.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

They are like the little spice tagines, only much smaller. Possibly a toy, My spice tagines are 4 inches in diameter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

They are like the little spice tagines, only much smaller. Possibly a toy, My spice tagines are 4 inches in diameter.

Thank you, Andie. I was certain I could count on you to know its purpose. It may well be a toy or perhaps individual spice tagines for restaurant use. Either way I shall hang on to it.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Thrift store finds:

Tupperware Deviled Egg holder - $2

Temperature probe Meat fork, new in package - $3

Good scores.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I love it, Anna. The black is unusual.

Thanks. It appears to be hand made as it is quite rough and ready and there are no manufacturer's marks of any kind.

Was it marked as a suribachi? It doesn't look like a traditional suribachi to me--too shallow and wide, and the ridges are going the wrong way (the surikogi is usually used in a circular motion, and if the ridges are horizontal rather than vertical, the sesame won't get ground very easily).

I love it, Anna. The black is unusual.

Thanks. It appears to be hand made as it is quite rough and ready and there are no manufacturer's marks of any kind.

Was it marked as a suribachi? It doesn't look like a traditional suribachi to me--too shallow and wide, and the ridges are going the wrong way (the surikogi is usually used in a circular motion, and if the ridges are horizontal rather than vertical, the sesame won't get ground very easily).

No, it was not marked as such but definitely appears to have been used as a "grinder" of some sort. Whatever its original purpose it now serves as an unusual fruit bowl so I am still quite happy with the find. Thanks for your acute observations.

My 2004 eG Blog

I thought it looked African, so I did a little research. It's an asanka. Much more interesting than a suribachi, imo!

Wow! That is so interesting. Thank you for doing that research. It is surely the same thing. Maybe I will have to take up African cuisine now. :rolleyes:

My 2004 eG Blog

I thought it looked African, so I did a little research. It's an asanka. Much more interesting than a suribachi, imo!

Wow! That is so interesting. Thank you for doing that research. It is surely the same thing. Maybe I will have to take up African cuisine now. :rolleyes:

How exciting. Wonder how it turned up in southern Ontario.

[Moderator note: This topic continues in Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 2)]

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.