• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 1)

Rachel Perlow

I have one of these pans - haven't used it for years but it was made for things like a terrine en croute - rather than trying to un-mold a pastry encased pate you just drop the sides and Bob is your uncle!

Would work for other things to I guess.

Good reminder - need to make some pate soon.

Llyn Strelau

Calgary, Alberta

Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Roberta – I know, I just love that stuff. I am an absolute sucker for pressed and cut glass and the fact that they are family pieces just makes them that much more wonderful.

Darienne – how utterly clever that pan is. What a great find!

A recent find at an antiques mall in Danville VA:

med_gallery_3331_122_63248.jpg

med_gallery_3331_122_28863.jpg

med_gallery_3331_122_77776.jpg

med_gallery_3331_122_19705.jpg

Wolverine metal kitchen set. These are supposedly from the 1930’s. I think it’s probably more likely 1950’s based on similar things I’m finding on ebay and the style of the pieces. The tallest stands one and a half foot tall. Most of the doors actually open. I don’t think that the sink piece is part of the original set since it is so much larger and I’m sure that the pink paint was done at a later time (the paint is chipping some and underneath it’s white). I’m not at all sure of what I’m going to do with these, but they will somehow figure into my kitchen. They were going for $45 and I talked them down to $30 – again, looking at ebay, I think I got a good deal. My favorite part is inside the refrigerator door:

med_gallery_3331_122_183721.jpg

Years ago I bought a large box of various size pot tops. I used them for decades. you can never have enough pot tops.

Welcome boudin - indeed you can't have enough pot tops - ever!

Roberta – I know, I just love that stuff. I am an absolute sucker for pressed and cut glass and the fact that they are family pieces just makes them that much more wonderful.

Darienne – how utterly clever that pan is. What a great find!

A recent find at an antiques mall in Danville VA:

med_gallery_3331_122_63248.jpg

med_gallery_3331_122_28863.jpg

med_gallery_3331_122_77776.jpg

med_gallery_3331_122_19705.jpg

Wolverine metal kitchen set. These are supposedly from the 1930’s. I think it’s probably more likely 1950’s based on similar things I’m finding on ebay and the style of the pieces. The tallest stands one and a half foot tall. Most of the doors actually open. I don’t think that the sink piece is part of the original set since it is so much larger and I’m sure that the pink paint was done at a later time (the paint is chipping some and underneath it’s white). I’m not at all sure of what I’m going to do with these, but they will somehow figure into my kitchen. They were going for $45 and I talked them down to $30 – again, looking at ebay, I think I got a good deal. My favorite part is inside the refrigerator door:

med_gallery_3331_122_183721.jpg

Kim, that furniture is amazing! You might be able to date the peices by the style of the Jello package? I'm sure the name had been trademarked by then!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

At the Long Beach Antique and Collectible monthly flea market today I fell in lust with these bowls. I immediately wanted to gather a large group of hungry friends and prepare vast bowls of goodness. They are from FP (Friendship Pottery?) in Roseville, Ohio and are 4,6, and 8 qt. The largest has a patched crack in the bottom but will be re-purposed in some way. Big huge happy face even as I lugged the behemoths to the car. Total cost: $12.

DSCN1157.JPG

Heidi those are gorgeous! You could always turn the one with the crack into a fruit bowl or something. That's just begging to be a still life painting overflowing with a cornucopia of fruits/veggies, don't you think?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

At the same vendor as my bowls above I snagged this brass mill for $1 as he had no idea what it was for. There was no odor when we opened it. The gap where one would expect the grinding to come through when you turn is so so tiny. I packed it with peppercorns and numerous turns yielded not even enough fine pepper to make me sneeze at close inhale. Perhaps it is just an extra extra fine grind. Google yielded this ebay link which tells me nothing though it looks identical. Of course the sticker on mine seems to nullify "antique". Thoughts?

DSCN1158.JPG

DSCN1159.JPG

:Paging andiesenji:

Where is our resident expert on all gadgets, both obvious and obscure??

I'm thinking it must be for larger spices like nutmeg or coffee beans maybe? If the opening is really small I think smaller things might get stuck in there. But I'm totally guessing here...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Me, too. And, fwiw, I'd LOVE that collapsable loaf pan...!

I am checking in to report that, this afternoon, at a Savers near by, I found one of my Holy Grails. I've been grabbing several of the hardcover volumes of the Time/Life Foods of the World series, but it's nearly impossible to find the spiral-bound complete recipe booklets. Today? The entire set.

I'm speechless.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Me, too. And, fwiw, I'd LOVE that collapsable loaf pan...!

I am checking in to report that, this afternoon, at a Savers near by, I found one of my Holy Grails. I've been grabbing several of the hardcover volumes of the Time/Life Foods of the World series, but it's nearly impossible to find the spiral-bound complete recipe booklets. Today? The entire set.

I'm speechless.

(Bolding added) That's scary! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Oh Chris! I have all the hard volumes and none of the spirals. I sort of gave up. SCORE! This is my favorite set of books; the foundation of my international foods interest.

Looks like a turkish coffee grinder to me.

It is really short - top to base bottom is less than 4 inches. If you look at the open view there is literally only enough room to slip a fingernail between the spinning part and the next edge.

At the same vendor as my bowls above I snagged this brass mill for $1 as he had no idea what it was for. There was no odor when we opened it. The gap where one would expect the grinding to come through when you turn is so so tiny. I packed it with peppercorns and numerous turns yielded not even enough fine pepper to make me sneeze at close inhale. Perhaps it is just an extra extra fine grind. Google yielded this ebay link which tells me nothing though it looks identical. Of course the sticker on mine seems to nullify "antique". Thoughts?

DSCN1158.JPG

DSCN1159.JPG

I'm pretty sure it's just an ordinary Turkish coffee grinder. My parents used to sell them in their store, and one of mine is about four inches high. You can adjust the grind by adjusting how tightly you screw on the twirly thing. I use my little one for white pepper. Well, I did until it fell into a pot full of oil. Oops.

DSCN1158.JPG

DSCN1159.JPG

I'm pretty sure it's just an ordinary Turkish coffee grinder. My parents used to sell them in their store, and one of mine is about four inches high. You can adjust the grind by adjusting how tightly you screw on the twirly thing. I use my little one for white pepper. Well, I did until it fell into a pot full of oil. Oops.

Good grief - I never thought about that adjustment. This one is on really tight and it appears I need a hex wrench to move it, so I will have to hunt one down and try. Thanks! I will report back.

I have several of the brass (one copper) grinders for Turkish coffee but mine can all be adjusted from the bottom - in some it is a bit tricky - for a slightly coarser grind and also so they can be used for grinding some spices, such as grains of paradise.

The grinder base plates on mine have tiny teeth around the edge to allow the ground stuff (pepper) to drop into the base container.

I think yours is set for "extra-fine" but it may be adjustable from the top.

This is a view of the bottoms the part that drops into the base container.

The one on the left is set for medium-fine the one on the right for very fine.

HPIM4288.JPG

P.S. Love your bowls, Heidi. I love bowls too but no longer collect them because I have so many I have no place to put them. I have quite a few pictured on my blog page "Utility bowls" but I have at least twice as many in storage. There was a time in the late '80s that I really went overboard when attending estate auctions, buying all the "smalls" in a kitchen. Indiscriminate buying became a problem. :wacko:

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

What a slew of posts, all interesting.

I love, love, love Heidi's Turkish coffee grinder. Lovely.

And Chris, if you ever get near me or I to you, you can have my collapsible pan for sure. Hmmm.... :hmmm: Seriously, I have dog friends from both DE and NJ who are coming this weekend. Either set could take it back and mail it for me in the States if I packed it. If you would like this, please PM me your actual address.

And Andie, you never fail us! :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Actually that grinder is for black pepper, just come back from there with an almost identical one - most definately pepper!!!

Sorry, not according to google or my grandmother. :-)

http://www.google.com/search?q=turkish+coffee+grinder&hl=en&safe=active&client=firefox-a&hs=Km1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=fwdTTpPbHKvTiAKW643fDA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CEYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=742

That is such an awesome find on the coffee grinder! My grandmother used to grind her coffee in the same mill, I was stoked when she gave it to me! I purchase the vacuum packed coffee now, but I use this occasionally to grind toasted cardamom seeds and mix in with my coffee, the taste is wonderful! Funny about collecting the bowls, I have a tendency to collect the briki's.

Heidi, LOVE those bowls, and 'though mine are from a different manufacturer, I have a set of about 8 solid blue, and 3 cream and blue, bowls with the same blue as yours that also came from Roseville, Ohio. I'm guessing that must've been a pottery nerve center in the early 20th century. You might remember mine, you commented on one of them when I did my eG foodblog back in March. That same, lovely, chalky cobalt blue. Such a gorgeous, unique color....Clearly that color was a hallmark of Roseville pottery.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I don't think I ever posted this wonderful bamboo steamer with aluminum base that my brother in law snagged at a garage sale for $2 years ago. It has been well loved and used; plus it sure is pretty.

DSCN1165.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Over here on the Ladies Who Lunch topic, Kerry Beal mentioned the pressure cooker I found at Value Village for less than $20.

DSCN0237.JPG

DSCN0238.JPG

I saw the clerk putting it on the shelf and grabbed it before the warmth of her hand had dissipated! :laugh: It is a T-Fal (SEB) 4.5 L cooker that is made of very, very heavy stainless steel. It is made in France and I have googled until my eyes are bleary without coming up with any information on it. As a one-person household this seems like a very reasonable size (I have a 6L Lagostina as well). This one is a bit different than any other that I am familiar with. It has two pressure settings and the gasket slips over a pin to secure it. Anyone familiar with this model? I am sure I can figure it out by myself but I am one of those people who ALWAYS like to read the manual.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog