• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 1)

Rachel Perlow

Years ago, at a garage sale, I found a Braun multi tasker sort of processor. On it's last legs now, I keep looking for a new processor.

BUT this may be my best value find, wasn't looking but couldn't resist. At our church's "summer fest"......booths on the parking lot.....a Dansk, made in France enamel loaf pan....marked $5.,he took $3. It's French's Mustart yellow, but I'm not complaining.

IMG_0667.JPG

BUT this may be my best value find, wasn't looking but couldn't resist. At our church's "summer fest"......booths on the parking lot.....a Dansk, made in France enamel loaf pan....marked $5.,he took $3. It's French's Mustart yellow, but I'm not complaining.

Nice find! Congratulations.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm keeping my eyes open for a fondue pot.

Saw about a dozen yesterday in our travels! The most interesting one was stainless and sat on top of an adjustable hot plate.

The best thing about French's Mustard IS the color. Looks beautiful. Love those handles.

This morning's stash from garage sales. Total cost $17.00. NuWave oven (used x2) $10, books $1 each and small orange grinder $2.

Stash.jpg

And before you all descend upon me with buckets full of disdain for the NuWave oven, let me tell you why. My sister who lives in England has one of these and has spent months trying to persuade me that I need one too. I declined both on the basis of the price (new they go for about $120) and space. She, however, thinks her oven is great and she is an accomplished home cook so for $10 I am happy to experiment and share my experience with her. For lunch I made some portobello mushroom caps topped with cheese and bacon and they worked very well in this oven without heating up the kitchen. Its huge footprint will limit its use but for a short time I will enjoy the fun of trying it out. It would cost me more to see a movie.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Its huge footprint will limit its use but for a short time I will enjoy the fun of trying it out. It would cost me more to see a movie.

Quoting from the NuWave ad:

"Independent 3rd party lab tests confirm: The NuWave Oven cooks food up to 50% FASTER than

conventional ovens while using up to 85% LESS ENERGY"

How does this imply a 'huge footprint'?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Its huge footprint will limit its use but for a short time I will enjoy the fun of trying it out. It would cost me more to see a movie.

Quoting from the NuWave ad:

"Independent 3rd party lab tests confirm: The NuWave Oven cooks food up to 50% FASTER than

conventional ovens while using up to 85% LESS ENERGY"

How does this imply a 'huge footprint'?

Ah but I didn't say a huge CARBON footprint! It takes up a huge amount of counter space.

My 2004 eG Blog

Ah, well, I see. So, if it's footprint gets unbearable, I would be certainly more than willing to take it off your hands for say, the same price as you paid for it. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Walking the dog just now there was a pile of "free" stuff in the parkway. Snagged 3 custard cups - 2" (?) the white ceramic ones that look like cupcake papers but only 2" ID at top. There are 3 more, may go back as there are no nicks and they are clean.

DSCN0653.jpg

Posted this over on the "Home and Away" thread - found this little beauty at a thrift store in Sudbury - a vintage Cory vacuum coffee maker - it's in perfect shape.

DSCN0653.jpg

Posted this over on the "Home and Away" thread - found this little beauty at a thrift store in Sudbury - a vintage Cory vacuum coffee maker - it's in perfect shape.

Quite a beauty- price?

DSCN0653.jpg

Quite a beauty- price?

$1 - no tax!

Kerry, that is a super nifty item.

I was out early this morning to visit a multi-family yard sale down the street and found this little beauty.

She was asking $5. I got it for a basket of tomatoes from my garden. A pretty good deal. For both of us!

baby eggbeater 1.JPG

baby eggbeater 2.JPG

How cute is that!

It will hold two eggs at the most. It needs a bit of TLC and the top requires re-chroming but it does work.

The manufacturer is Androck and it states, "Made in the United States of America."

I think I may have one similar to this somewhere in my collection of eggbeaters but I haven't seen it for years - it's probably packed away in one of the footlockers in my storage building.

I really should go through some of those and sell off the duplicates. Not anytime soon, the summer temps are too warm to spend much time out there.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Kerry, that is a super nifty item.

I was out early this morning to visit a multi-family yard sale down the street and found this little beauty.

She was asking $5. I got it for a basket of tomatoes from my garden. A pretty good deal. For both of us!

baby eggbeater 1.JPG

baby eggbeater 2.JPG

How cute is that!

It will hold two eggs at the most. It needs a bit of TLC and the top requires re-chroming but it does work.

The manufacturer is Androck and it states, "Made in the United States of America."

I think I may have one similar to this somewhere in my collection of eggbeaters but I haven't seen it for years - it's probably packed away in one of the footlockers in my storage building.

I really should go through some of those and sell off the duplicates. Not anytime soon, the summer temps are too warm to spend much time out there.

Hi Andi,

Great item. I'm now in your neck of the woods and YES, its HOT here. I will have to check out some thrift stores/yard sales in the area though. Any reccomendations?

Santa Clarita (and Valencia) are far more upscale than my area and I have been told there is one called "Take Two" that has pretty good stuff from time to time. I think it is in an area that used to be part of Newhall but can't say for sure.

I haven't been there and haven't been to any yard or garage sales in the area as it is at a minimum 45 minutes driving time - if there are no accidents on the 14.

I do drive down to Whole Foods every couple of months as we have yet to get one up here.

There is also a nice farmer's market at the College of the Canyons in parking lot 8 every Sunday morning, 8:30 to noon.

I haven't been down there for a year or so but you can phone 805-529-6266 to see if there have been any changes in the schedule.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 4 weeks later...

We were touring the middle of the country ....and following a theme....I found 2 of these Villeroy and Boch mugs in a shop in small town Nebraska. Not my favorite design, who knew there were "naif" lions. But for $1. each I couldn't resist. Gave them a good scrubbing and we used them as our personal glasses for the rest of our travels. Mine has the little "dip" in the paint, I think it's cute, but it is probably a defect. Apparently rare....tempted to sell them.

IMG_2021.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I'm keeping my eyes open for a fondue pot.

I see at least two every time I go to a thrift store--don't despair.

I just scored a vintage (20 year old?) KitchenAid 5 qt. heavy duty stand mixer for $25. I've been looking for one for years to no avail--never saw one at a thrift or a garage sale, & they are way too pricey on ebay.

And this was gotten from craigslist, which i absolutely recommend--we have gotten some great things from there.

After using it I understand why people love the KA so much--it's so sturdy, & no splashing or worry about the bowl tilting or slipping.

Edited by zoe b (log)

• 1 month later...

My score today - a Krups espresso maker for $1 from across the street neighbors that are moving out. It needs a bit of cleaning and I'll have to look up the instruction manual online, but for $1 I'll take the risk...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

Back in Moab in the land of second hand store bargains. Nothing spectacular this time around but I did get a lovely huge stainless steel colander today for $1.50. Nicer than any I have back home, so home it will go.

Oh, and a black 8-sided Arcopal glass mug, Novoctine patter for 50 cents, which for some unknown reason I am now collecting, although preferably in white.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This is a great thread! I've thrifted so many things over the years - enameled stock pots, dishes, linens. My favorite find (that I still have) is a hand crank food mill - I got it for $1.00.

Oh, and reading this makes me really want to go thrifting. A dangerous thread, this is...

• 2 weeks later...

Cuisinart 14 cup food processor $20

Yippee for you. What a score. Do I need a food processor or what?

Moab is not living up to its former reputation this time around.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Too bad you are so far from St. George and won't be there for Thanksgiving. Friends that live there have told me that their church has an enormous rummage sale on the Saturday after T-Day and they always score a lot of new or nearly new stuff that they give to their kids and grandkids for Christmas. (They have nine children!)