• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 1)

Rachel Perlow

This weekend yielded 6 very pretty fondue forks with nicer than usual metalwork, and lovely wooden handles (no colored beads ;) )

and two mini-muffin pans.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

At yard sales, estate sales and auctions, I always look for buckets or boxes of old kitchen junk. I have assembled a great collection of old kitchen, butcher and chefs knives with carbon steel blades that I greatly prefer to my newer stainless versions. Most people don't like the old dark colored blades of these vintage knives and their propensity to rust, but to me they are like silver and gold.

My favourite haunt is the "British Heart Foundation" furniture / electrical shop in Crawley (which, for the unaware, is the town near London Gatwick Airport.)

The UK government have strict rules about second-hand sales of electrical equipment, but the BHF clearly have tame electricians who is able to certify kit as "safe", and therefore able to accept donations of electrical goods in a way that most charities can't :sad:

There are four nice things in the kitchen at the moment which have come from there over the past year:

- A 2kW induction hob for £20. ($32)

- A pair of huge Dartington Crystal brandy glasses for £2 each. (When I say, huge, I mean "just fit in my hand, and I have huge hands - like I play a 10th on a piano, not just an octave!)

- A Welsh dresser for £80.

- A huge, and rather nice, bookcase, which was apparently donated by a local country club(!) for £100

OK this may make me sound like a hoarder, but I assure you I am not. 3 years ago I lost everything in my kitchen to a large storm. So I was very bare in the cupboards when I stumbled upon the mother of all garage sales. I spent $800 and took 5 carloads of stuff out of there. 14 dozen canning jars, 36 ramekins, 107 cookbooks, a barrel smoker, nice bundt pans, serving dishes, giant steel griddles, steamers, baskets, utensils, cast iron enamel pots, various baking pans, seriously, lots more. Everything was priced really well. I also bought art supplies and jewelry making supplies.

It was a really great find. But now here's the weird part: the guy who had the garage sale wants his stuff back. He was going to move out of town but now he works at a local grocery. The first time he approached me at the store he wanted the jewelry making stuff back. I said, "You don't make jewelry." (It was originally his ex-wife's stuff.) OK, he said, he had a friend who wanted it.

Next time I saw him he told me again how much he regretted selling the stuff and how much he wanted it back. I asked him what he wanted back. He asked me what I bought. I said, "The smoker." Oh, he said, he missed the smoker. I said you couldn't possibly, the smoker was never used. It was still in cardbard.

Such an odd uncomfortable situation.

I would tell him that the time to reconsider selling something was prior to the time money changed hands.

A deal is a deal! :rolleyes:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I can't imagine what I'd do if someone wanted stuff back they sold! The stuff I give away, I'd hug and kiss the people who take it just to clear up some space! But then again, I wouldn't sell a smoker if I had one...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I found an 8 cup plastic Tupperware measuring cup with a lid for $1 that I'll be using for batching up punches and large format drinks for events...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hitting the Goodwills near my house for a patio table and pots to plant my burgeoning container garden in...I always swing through the housewares stuff as well. In the last week I've gotten two pyrex mixing bowls for $ 2.00 a piece (in the medium super useful size) a brand new hand crank ice cream maker for $6.99 (donvier) that the kids are super excited to try out, a set of 4 clear pressed glass punch cups that are perfect for "tea parties" for 99 cents apiece, a copy of Joy of Wokking by Martin Yan, the original Frugal Gourmet cookbook, The Southern Living Cookbook, Time Life Foods of the World Provence and China, Play With Your Food, and NW Best Places Cookbook Volumes 1 and 2. All the books were between $1 and $3 each, mostly around $2. Very exciting. And I found a picnic table for the kids for $10. It's becoming an addiction...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Staub enameled cast iron fondue pot from Salvation Army store. Only $5, thought I had a deal at $10, got to the register and found out it was 1/2 price day! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Can't find anything like it on the net, color is actually the same as dijon mustard, anyone have any idea as to age?

Now I just have to find my fondue forks. :hmmm:

Fondue1.JPG

I believe this one dates to 1976, about 2 years after the company (under direction of Francis Staub) began production of enameled cast iron cookware.

The earlier colors were more subdued, even a bit drab, compared to the colors offered today. Some cocottes, only available in France, were a sort of dull brick red when compared to the brighter colors offered by Descoware and Le Creuset.

Later "saucepan type" fondue pots have a handle that is shaped differently, more rounded and without the "flange" shape.

The newest ones have two handles.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I believe this one dates to 1976, about 2 years after the company (under direction of Francis Staub) began production of enameled cast iron cookware.

Thanks Andie. I figured you would have some idea since you're such a collector. :smile: :smile:

Are there any web resources for Staub collectors? I haven't run across any so far...

Thanks Andie. I figured you would have some idea since you're such a collector. :smile: :smile:

Are there any web resources for Staub collectors? I haven't run across any so far...

Except for general cast iron collectors groups, not much. The Staub brand is too new to attract that many vintage collectors.

I know some folks that collect mid-century modern stuff and Staub is too new for them, although they drool over Michael Lax Copco and etc.

Except for general cast iron collectors groups, not much. The Staub brand is too new to attract that many vintage collectors.

I know some folks that collect mid-century modern stuff and Staub is too new for them, although they drool over Michael Lax Copco and etc.

So, it sounds like the ideal time to start collecting Staub, since it's 'too new' to interest the folks who like the vintage stuff, right? :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm setting up my first personal apartment, and have been filling out my cabinets with the spoils of yard sale saturdays. For next to nothing, I've acquired a set of saucepans, a crock pot, a full set of silverware, and the most obscenely yellow teapot I've ever seen. I've yet to find any quality cutlery, but I figure it to only be a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Does eBay count as the world's cyber-flea market/yard sale? I just got a Nordic Ware indoor/outdoor kettle smoker for $30 +shipping. I want to make smoked fruits and vegetables for cocktail syrups. I think the possibilities are almost endless. Not to mention being able to make my own smoked meats and fish to boot. Looking forward to its arrival with eager anticipation...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Kerry - have you actually tried the Eggstractor?

Not sure if this counts for this thread, but my dad and stepmom sent me some family stuff that they didn't want and knew I'd find a home for.

Some pieces of glassware:

5943007589_30322b1505.jpg

P1090722 by ozisforme, on Flickr

The pattern is Moon & Star. Don't know any more about it, but I collect pressed glass and depression glass, so I love it. I thought that the footed bowl would make a nice small trifle bowl (it stands about 8 1/2 inches tall).

The other pieces are silverplate:

5943561814_b02167125c.jpg

P1090720 by ozisforme, on Flickr

They are obviously the same pattern, but all three have different markings on the bottom. The pitcher says: Barbour Bros. Co. Quadruple Plate 76. The goblet looking one says: Barbour Bros. Co. Silver Quadruple 76 and the other piece says Barbour Bros. Co. Quadruple plate hard white metal with a little hallmark:

5943072027_31bbc38c16.jpg

P1090724 by ozisforme, on Flickr

I was really hoping that someone (Andie - you here? :wink: ) could tell me what the goblet and small pot were used for. The goblet is 5 3/4 inches tall and the other is 4 inches. With the band across the top, the 'goblet' doesn't look like you could comfortably drink out of it.

I can't help you with information, Kim, but I do love that pitcher!

So wonderful to inherit all these pieces when you are sufficiently established that you want them, can hang on to them, can appreciate them. If only I had known then what I know now...

Wonderful trove.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Hi Kim,

You have pieces that are part of an extensive tea and coffee set. Some sets would have 10 to 12 pieces, including a large tray, coffee and tea pots, hot water pot with spirit lamp warmer, sugar bowls, cream pitcher, milk pitcher, cold water jug, waste or "slop" bowl, muffin or cake stand (3 tiered) and a spoon holder.

The jug loos like it is for water.

The footed "goblet" is for sugar - usually cubes and there should be a footed cream pitcher to match it.

The "bowl" is a "waste bowl" to hold the spent tea leaves.

Barbour Brothers in the late Victorian era specialized in ornate, rococo, repousse, renaissance revival and other "antique" patterns, usually with fruits, flowers, vines and etc. The tall stemmed sets are rarer than the shorter ones.

Here's a couple.

The company became part of the International Silver company after WWI.

About the turn of the century they produced some Federal revival silver that was much plainer than the earlier stuff.

The teapots usually had the leaf shape spout and because of the way it was constructed, this was easily damaged. It's rare to find one in good condition.

Here's an example.

and another here

and even a cocktail shaker

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Kerry - have you actually tried the Eggstractor?

Two days of extensive experimentation occurred before we handed it over to the person I'd bought it as a joke for - check them out here.

....Not sure if this counts for this thread, but my dad and stepmom sent me some family stuff that they didn't want and knew I'd find a home for.

Some pieces of glassware:

5943007589_30322b1505.jpg

P1090722 by ozisforme, on Flickr

The pattern is Moon & Star. Don't know any more about it, but I collect pressed glass and depression glass, so I love it. I thought that the footed bowl would make a nice small trifle bowl (it stands about 8 1/2 inches tall).

Kim, I am in serious envy of that glassware. Just stunning ! The silverplate pieces are very cool, too, but nowhere close to that glassware. :wub:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a little goodie that I have never seen before. Found it in a box at the Restore, Habitat for Humanity, my DH's favorite department store, along with Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, etc, etc.

I'm sure Andie, our resident expert can tell me more about it. It's a little loaf pan with all sides coming open and then put together with the little moveable wire bit.

P7100001_01.JPG

P7100002.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.