• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 1)

Rachel Perlow

:wub::wub: In September 08 we rented a two-bedroom house COMPLETELY EMPTY in Utah...to which we are returning next week for another three months.

Almost everything we put into it came from a yard sale, a second hand store or stuff that friends were jettisoning.

Of course, all the kitchen things were second hand and my best buy was a large piece of polished marble for $2. When we return I'm looking for an ice cream maker. Time to learn how to make ice cream.

Oh, also found a Chinese cap for $.25. And a set of dinnerware for $10. A small bamboo steamer for $3.50 (for ginger, of course) and a small crock pot for $5. Then a larger crockpot for $5. (Gave the smaller one to my landlady.) And a carousel, a beige one, for $1. And assorted pots and pans and baking ware. The guy who vacated the place left 3 pieces of that double-floored AirBake stuff.

Like Christmas every day it was. :wub::wub::wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I've been visiting in Livermore this past week and today I drove up to Napa and Yountville and found a few interesting things, not exactly junk heap shopping but a tiny antique place.

This huge cleaver was made in Boston and I took a close up of the mark but have to do a bit more investigation to get the maker's name correct.

gallery_17399_60_272340.jpg

gallery_17399_60_241344.jpg

For size comparison, that is a partly used roll of paper towels. 

I also got a

Might want to post that cleaver here:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/26/

There is a guy who specializes in cleavers

Good score yesterday at Value Village.  A Champion juicer (sucker weighs about 50 lbs) and a nice old Cory Nicro stainless vacuum coffee maker.

How much was the juicer?

Sorry, didn't see this before - about $5.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I found my personal best at an estate sale in Toledo a few months ago.

A bottle of Courvoisier, Collection Erte, #6.

$50.00.

They had three empty bottles, and this was the full one.

It was recently re-released by Courvoisier at $1,450.00 per bottle, or $10,000 for the full set of seven, I believe.

I just had a knee replaced, and will post photographs a little later when I can get downstairs at dig out my camera equipment.

But first, I think I'd like a sip. Of Cognac.

Yes, we are drinking it. Slowly.

Edited by Sam Iam (log)

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

• 1 month later...

just picked up a copy of Marcella's Italian Kitchen for a $--I love this book--the attention to vegetables is incredible--a dozen Zucchini recipes with variations.

and the gelato section is wonderful, too--this book will be an education for me to cook my way through....

Z

Thanks for your post, zoe b! For a while there, I felt like a thread killer!

:laugh:

well, I think your wonderful find slapped us speechless for awhile--I know envy was a problem in my heart when i read your post....

Kitchen stuff is great, but booze is another category altogether!

Z

I have gotten dozens of cast iron pans, dutch ovens, gem pans, griddles etc, over the years at tag sales. I clean them and give the as gifts if I don't already have them, someof the rarer pieces get sold on Ebay. My local library has a rummage sale every year and there are tables of cookware and kitchen items.

But my best score was a barely used 1960's era Kitchenaid mixer, lovely creme color, with an extra bowl, a glass bowl, a grain mill and a meat grinder for $10.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_52991_6349_14909.jpg

I found this Villeroy and Boch coffee pitcher at a local thrift store a while ago. I use it to store chai in the fridge. In full disclosure, it has a large smooth chip out of the inner lip where the lid sits. Not visible from outside. I collect V&B....the Naif.....but this was so lively and fun I couldn't resist. $6. It seems every piece in the "le balloon" series is different, lots of versions of plates, saucers and cups.

That coffee pot is a beauty! :smile:

We are back in Moab, in the land of wonderful second hand stores :wub: , and I have purchased a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker, a GE waffle maker, a B&D food processor, and an assortment of bits and bobs. I do have a food processor at home, so this one gets resold in the Mother of all Yard sales which we will have just before we pack it all in, but the ice cream maker and waffle maker go to their new Canadian home in May.

I'm still watching for a bread maker for my friend Sheila who is coming for two weeks in April. She will make Chinese dumplings if she had the bread maker to do the kneading.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

Finally it's garage sale time again! Here is part of today's haul:

gallery_6903_111_12913.jpg

China cap ($10 Cdn)

gallery_6903_111_20750.jpg

Bowl made of wood rescued from an underwater tree. The pen is there just as a reference of scale. I ADORE this bowl.

Also 2 Jamie O books- The Naked Chef and Happy Days in mint condition for $1 each.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I believe that's a Chinois. A China Cap has larger holes. A Chinois has a very fine mesh.

Still, it's a great find, they cost $75 new here in the US, and that's without the stand or wooden plunger. (China Cap runs about $30 new.)

Anyway, welcome to the world of refined soups and velvety sorbets!

I believe that's a Chinois. A China Cap has larger holes. A Chinois has a very fine mesh.

Still, it's a great find, they cost $75 new here in the US, and that's without the stand or wooden plunger. (China Cap runs about $30 new.)

Anyway, welcome to the world of refined soups and velvety sorbets!

I always manage to get my names mixed up! Thanks for putting me straight.

When I asked the woman who was selling it what she wanted she explained that they were very expensive and I said I was aware of that. I pushed again for a price and she said $30. I said that was certainly a deal for someone but unfortunately not for me. Her hubby rushed over and said that they were trying to get rid of stuff and to let me have it for $10! She agreed somewhat reluctantly.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

:biggrin: I found a mint, still-in-its-box, 500 ml iSi Gourmet Whip at a church garage sale today for all of two dollars.

Now I'm looking for cartridges for the new toy. Any ideas on where to find them at a reasonable cost (without buying a case of 600)??? :blink:

:biggrin: I found a mint, still-in-its-box, 500 ml iSi Gourmet Whip at a church garage sale today for all of two dollars.

Now I'm looking for cartridges for the new toy. Any ideas on where to find them at a reasonable cost (without buying a case of 600)??? :blink:

Congratulations.

You should not have any difficulty finding cartridges. I can buy them in packs of 10 at department stores and one supermarket but any kitchenware store should carry them.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...

Second hand book store find ... not the book I was looking for, but The Cooking of Southwest France - Paula Wolfert, more than made up for it. Lovely condition, hardback - $8.00 and I'm pretty happy about, too.

Rover

• 2 months later...

Found this at Goodwill today, paid $1.99 for it:

dumpling slicer.jpg

From the label (ELKO Novy Knin) I was able to Google it; it's a dumpling slicer!

Now I need to find dumpling recipes, because I must use this!

If nothing else, I can use it to slice that big log of goat cheese that Costco sells. :smile:

That dumpling slicer is for the thin, flatter dumplings that are dryer than spaetzle dough but not as dry as pasta dough.

This is a pretty good version of it and is very versatile. You can add any number of fresh and dried herbs to your own taste.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Flat-Dumplings-51240

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett