• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 1)

Rachel Perlow

Today at the reuse center I picked up a genuine FoodSaver for $3.  Needs a good clean before it moves to it's new home, but it works perfectly. 

There were a couple of really old mixmasters that looked to be in good shape, but I'm ahead a couple now, so I'll find new homes for those before I pick up any more. 

I also picked up a pear shaped acrylic dish that will be useful for molding bowls to hold chocolates.  A friend is making chocolates for a wedding this year and pears are a theme.

I've been looking for a standing mixer for the church where I cook for the Seniors and I havent been able to find one. Are you finding these at Value Village?

If you mean a nice Sunbeam Mixmaster stand mixer, indeed I find them a lot. I have a nice stainless one right now if you want it.

Today at the reuse center I picked up a genuine FoodSaver for $3.  Needs a good clean before it moves to it's new home, but it works perfectly. 

There were a couple of really old mixmasters that looked to be in good shape, but I'm ahead a couple now, so I'll find new homes for those before I pick up any more. 

I also picked up a pear shaped acrylic dish that will be useful for molding bowls to hold chocolates.  A friend is making chocolates for a wedding this year and pears are a theme.

I've been looking for a standing mixer for the church where I cook for the Seniors and I havent been able to find one. Are you finding these at Value Village?

You might consider joining a Freecycle group in your area. It's free and I have given away several mixers (and a lot of other stuff) to people in my area.

One of my friends, who now lives in Niagara, scored a Kenwood mixer to use at her school, via Freecycle.

Some in Canada have been renamed Full Circles Network

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You might consider joining a Freecycle group in your area. It's free and I have given away several mixers (and a lot of other stuff) to people in my area.

One of my friends, who now lives in Niagara, scored a Kenwood mixer to use at her school, via Freecycle.

Some in Canada have been renamed Full Circles Network

Thanks Kerry, next time we see each other, I'll take it.

Andi, I belong to the London Freecyle( full circle), about 6 months ago, I put my membership on hold( London gets so much email) and now I can't remember my password for Yahoo. I'll have it reset and rejoin.

Thanks!!!

gallery_6472_5005_407907.jpg

Bought this for $125 from a friend who didn't have room for it any more.

It would be cool to put it into working order and put it in the kitchen, but the oven is so small that it would be impossible to cook a big turkey. Or even a medium sized turkey.

My grandpa and grandma used the big enamelware coffee pot back when they used to take my dad and the rest of the kids camping in the Pennsylvania mountains.

sparrowgrass

My spouse picked up this set of periwinkle fiestaware. She paid 5 bucks for everything

gallery_25969_665_582206.jpg

We currently use Fiestaware as our everyday dishes so we'll probably keep the plates/bowls and sell the rest.

She also picked up this ice-crusher. We'll be selling this.

gallery_25969_665_387766.jpg

She paid $1.00

I shudder to think how she'll be in the WINTER when there are no more yard sales!!

Quick trip into the Value Village yesterday evening - found an atlas pasta maker with all the extra parts you can imagine, all the cutters, the stuffed pasta attachments and everything. Doesn't look like it's ever been out of the box. $14.99

Quick trip into the Value Village yesterday evening - found an atlas pasta maker with all the extra parts you can imagine, all the cutters, the stuffed pasta attachments and everything.  Doesn't look like it's ever been out of the box.  $14.99

You find the BEST deals!! I need to go yard saling/thrift store shopping with you.

I scored a stainless brand new steam juicer for $7

YAY!!!! I would never buy two of them on purpose but figure since I did spend $100 on one several years ago and spend a lot of time steam juicing my extra fruits during the season ...this will cut my work time in half and is totally worth it! now (as I like to see things) I have two really nice steam juicers for just $7 over the price of one!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I found an Atlas Pasta roller too a couple weeks ago came with a spaghetti/ fettuchini roller. $8. Whet this week and found a Calphalon 2-1/2 qt sauce pan, regular not nontick. Brand new for $5.00

Surprisingly, I found another Zojirushi bread machine at a yard sale today. It's not in perfect condition--the pan and paddles have a bit of wear, but I'm going to test it to see if it works well.

I thought about putting it on ebay but I figured I'd check here first if anyone wants it.

Surprisingly, I found another Zojirushi bread machine at a yard sale today.  It's not in perfect condition--the pan and paddles have a bit of wear, but I'm going to test it to see if it works well.

I thought about putting it on ebay but I figured I'd check here first if anyone wants it.

The Brown elephant @ 5404 N. Clark st, Chicago

has 5 bread machines all priced $5 or $6 a piece. If your there at 11:am I'll be the other guy looking at them. :smile:

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

Bread makers are a dime a dozen, but the Zojirushi are hard to find, and expensive, to boot.

I'm having a yard sale of my own this Saturday, at which I'll have three or four bread makers for sale. But I remembered that my best friend had asked me to look out for a Zo for her so she could make full-sized loaves. It's programmable, too.

Most of you aren't too far from Montana, right? I'm the second house on the left. I'll have cookbooks for sale, and Pyrex bowls, too. :biggrin:

Edited by Terrasanct (log)

• 2 months later...

gallery_51681_4569_5243.jpg fuzzy pic sorry

I found this little (a quart) pot at my favorite thrift store and have no idea about it ..can anyone help me? it was so cute and $3 ..enamel on cast iron and the bottom is so worn I tried to make out the stamps but all I got was

HUSOVARNA maybe???? there are two other stamps and later I am going to grave stone etch it if my husband has charcoal and tracing paper..it is making me nuts I can not read it!!! and it is so fun trying to figure out where things came from!

anyway it is cute ...I love it and am glad I found it ..even better if I knew where it came from

thank you so much in advance for your help!

(I am a tried and true thrift store/yard sale whore ..my heart pounds...I get so excited ... rarely leave empty handed and always with a smile :smile: )

Piglet 

gallery_51681_4569_5243.jpg fuzzy pic sorry

I found this little (a quart)  pot at my favorite thrift store and have no idea about it ..can anyone help me? it was so cute and $3 ..enamel on cast iron and the bottom is so worn I tried to make out the stamps but all I got was

HUSOVARNA maybe????  there are two other stamps and later I am going to grave stone etch it if my husband has charcoal and tracing paper..it is making me nuts I can not read it!!!  and it is so fun trying to figure out where things came from!

anyway it is cute ...I love it and am glad I found it ..even better if I knew where it came from

thank you so much in advance for your help!

(I am a tried and true thrift store/yard sale whore ..my heart pounds...I get so excited ... rarely leave empty handed and always with a smile  :smile: )

Looks like you almost got the name correct. Cool pot!

edited to remove link that doesn't seem to work. From what I've seen, you appear to have a product manufactured by a Swedish company Husqvarna. There's a couple butter-melters on ebay that match your pot perfectly!

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

"Looks like you almost got the name correct. Cool pot!

edited to remove link that doesn't seem to work. From what I've seen, you appear to have a product manufactured by a Swedish company Husqvarna. There's a couple butter-melters on ebay that match your pot perfectly!"

thank you so much! butter melters huh? I will have to go and see!

I love this little pot ..it is spotless inside btw :smile:

Piglet 

10" All Clad Master Chef saute pan $10... looks new mirror finish inside.

10" Calphalon saute pan $5....matches the 2-1/2 qt sauce pan I bought earlier.

Cobalt Blue Chantal Water Kettel (the big size) $3.... un-used new in box

10" deep China cap with stand and wooden pestle $1

Edited by Susie Q (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Brand new Kitchenaid meat grinder with pasta plates pack at a thrift shop. $9.00.

I already have one. But I couldn't leave it there at that price.

Mine is immaculate, 'cept the wooden pusher isn't pristine anymore.

Guess I'll keep it and sell mine for $9.00.

I love thrift shops run by people who don't cook.

• 1 month later...

My spouse found this stuff today.

gallery_28660_5521_303477.jpg

The platter says " wagner" on the back. I dont know if someone made it in pottery class or its actually something that was sold in a store. The platter was 3.00. She paid 75 cents for the bowl and the canape maker.

Ivan and I did the traditional anniversary thrifting yesterday, and I scored a nice big slug of our everyday dinnerware, Midwinter's white Stonehenge.

For months I've been on the brink of buying a single plate on eBay to make up 12, might have amounted to $16 or $20 or a bit more, not bad, but for my $30 investment yesterday I ended up with *10* more dinner plates plus 10 more small plates, 8 more cups & saucers, soup bowls, serving bowl, platter, and a creamer orphaned from its sugar. $3 a plate and the other stuff's free, is how I see it.

I also found: a beautiful Apilco oval terrine, which was just what I was looking for, and one of those tilty TG Greene yellowware bowls that was a size I have already but what was I supposed to do.

Ivan scored a minty-mint Akai stereo reel-to-reel for a cool five bucks, special delivery from the gods of thrift shopping directly to the Assistance League of Tustin. Approaches all-time best score status, but the bar is pretty high, the Simac ice cream maker for $25 is still the one to beat.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I've been finding some great stuff at local thrift shops the past few weeks. The one I'm happiest about was finding a complete Cuisinart DLC-10E food processor, with all its attachments for $5. It got even better when they passed out coupons to change the color of any one item to the color of the week, making it half of, especially since the Cuisinart was the only thing in my cart that wasn't the sale color- $2.50 for a Cuisinart food processor-lol. I already had another DLC-10E I have picked up for $5 that only had the metal chopping blade & a grating disk- I plan on keeping it, since its nice to have a second work bowl set at times.

Some other good finds have included a Pampered Chief pizza stone for $3; a Squeezo food mill for $5, an older model Food Saver that lets you manual override to seal whenever you want for $3, 3 rolls of Food Saver bags for $2 & several Food Saver containers for $1-$2 each; a 3-4qt Romertopf clay 'stuffing baker' that they no longer make for $5; an electric Brisker- http://www.fantes.com/brisker.htm - for $2.50, which I'm toying with the idea of using as a proofing box by adding humidity; an Oster blender for $1.50 because it was missing a push button- but the glass carafe looks brand new, as does the blade, which of course fits my Oster blender; and 2 Salton yogurt makers for $1.50 each, one is the smaller regular size & the other is the larger family size.

Now I just need to find a couple larger waffle irons, so I can make more at one time- I just can't bring myself to buy new waffle irons when I know how often they show up at GoodWill & the like...I'd rather save my money to buy a new immersion deep fryer.

• 4 weeks later...

I was helping a relative's church clean up their new/old church building this morning and guess what I got?

They gave me a vintage 6 foot long white enameled cast iron double sink in pristine condition and with drainers on each side! It looks a lot like this one, but mine is like brand new. :wub:

KITCHENSINK2400x212.jpg

Won't that be great with my vintage chrome Kitchenaid model G mixers [see my avatar] and my vintage range? :wacko:

CROWNRANGE.jpg

It reminds me of a similar one bowl sink my mom had when I was growing up. The church was going to throw it away! It is from the 1940's and has absolutely no stains or chips and looks brand new. The faucet and sprayer was included, and the church is going to move it to my storage unit next Sunday morning!

This sink is going to be great in my vintage style kitchen one day. I have been looking for something like it for a long time and was prepared to spend big bucks for it. The ones I have seen on Ebay go for $300 and up!

Who would have guessed that I would be blessed with a gift like this just for giving them a helping hand?

I am gonna get one of the pot filler vintage style faucets to go into it.

Just imagine this type of sink with this faucet.

SINKFAUCET2.jpg

Will this one work?

I was helping a relative's church clean up their new/old church building this morning and guess what I got?

They gave me a vintage 6 foot long white enameled cast iron double sink in pristine condition and with drainers on each side! It looks a lot like this one, but mine is like brand new. :wub:

KITCHENSINK2400x212.jpg

Won't that be great with my vintage chrome Kitchenaid model G mixers [see my avatar] and my vintage range? :wacko:

CROWNRANGE.jpg

It reminds me of a similar one bowl sink my mom had when I was growing up.  The church was going to throw it away! It is from the 1940's and has absolutely no stains or chips and looks brand new. The faucet and sprayer was included, and the church is going to move it to my storage unit next Sunday morning!

This sink is going to be great in my vintage style kitchen one day. I have been looking for something like it for a long time and was prepared to spend big bucks for it. The ones I have seen on Ebay go for $300 and up!

Who would have guessed that I would be blessed with a gift like this just for giving them a helping hand?

I am gonna get one of the pot filler vintage style faucets to go into it.

Just imagine this type of sink with this faucet.

SINKFAUCET2.jpg

Will this one work?

WOW, congrats! What a find! Fabulous sink, and I LOVE the range. Not to mention that faucet is fantastic -- it looks like it is a new reproduction? Could you tell me who makes the faucet?

Thanks Emily!

The internet place I found it on lists it for $520! But I bet we can find it elsewhere a lot cheaper.

It is:

"American Deck Mount Kitchen Faucet, 8" on center, Pot Filler spout, cross handles. Quarter turn ceramic valves. Also available in Supercoat Brass, Polished Nickel, and Matte Nickel."