• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 1)

Rachel Perlow

Chris just returned from our neighborhood "Yard Sale Man" sale, which goes on pretty much year-round, though you can't really tell til you drive up, cause there's so much stuff in the yard anyway. He went to reclaim my roll of bubblewrap and I made him promise not to buy anything. He came home with a package---a gift for the lend of the wrap.

About eight pairs of cotton socks, and FIVE of them are argyle!!! Not foodish, but VERY funny. Can't wait to see Chris wear them. :laugh:

And last week I did score eighteen pink hand-blown goblets with big old leaves up the sides, very rustic and almost crude, but beautiful. Six even bigger ones to match, but both are too big for wine, I think.

We're having our own sale in two weeks. Neighbor is having one as well, and we'll open up the little arbor gate and just let folks stroll through. LOTS of glass gonna go from here, I hope.

Saw a toy refrigerator today, oh my. Garage sale price $5. Just the size for a playyard house.

Im sooooo glad we are too far away to go to your sale, Racheld, as we have a bad 'thing' for glass, and a house full of it already.

Good luck.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Finally, I got around to some pictures of the pepper grinder/ Swiss music box. I'll see how they upload.

pepper-bottom-1.jpg

[pepper-mid-1.jpg

pepper-top-1.jpg

pepper-1.jpg

Oh my god it's ... ???

Not the first thing my eye would be drawn to at the resuse. Goes to show you that you have to know your stuff.

Love the salt pig. Mine just looks so boring next to that.

pepper-top-1.jpg

Does the pepper come out the gargoyle's mouth? I googled "pepper grinder music box gargoyle" (getting all the details in) and found one at "RUBY LANE"---Italian, showing just the top few inches in the photo--very similar.

Their price is $225.00. You're today's WINNER.

YES, that's it! They have several other photos of it off to the side.

Mine is very slightly different, and plays Edelweiss. Thanks for the info.

Yes, the pepper comes out of the mouth! I can't believe that the guy laughing at it at the thrift put it back. Whoo Hoo! :laugh:

Edited by Sam Iam (log)

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

Boy, am I jealous of all these goodies--I was on a trip and could only look longingly at thrift shops and yard sales as we whizzed past them for 2 weeks.

first stop upon re -entry was the thrift--lots of goodies, but nothing culinary--although i did find a vegetarian crock pot cookbook on the library sale table that's amazonable .

sam iam--

I have no history on this, and just hope that it isn't possessed! 

I would guess that it is--what a beezarre thing!!

you'll have to re-decorate around it--black walls, red velvet curtains, shadowy mirrors, guttering candles--eat everything very rare, too.

Zoe

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having some problems posting pics so I'll try to upload them later.

My spouse found a vintage le creuset pate terrine pan. She paid $1.50. We sold it on ebay for 63.01.

I found a Villeroy & Boch knife rest. Paid 50 cents. Sold for $22.00

It seems ages since I was able to go to the garage sales and the season is fast drawing to a close here so I was thrilled to find one of these:

Grill/Sandwich Press

for $2. I also snagged a 1 quart deep, straight-sided saucepan (with lid) for another $2, a pretty fibreglass serving tray for 50c, and three cookbooks for 50c each. A good day!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Today - an absolutely perfect copy of The Frog Commissary Cookbook for $4. Not a huge bargain, but a great book nonetheless for about half of what a used copy would go for without shipping on Amazon.

My best cooking find at a yard sale was a gigantic multilevel lobster steaming pot for $3. I still haven't had occasion to use it, but one of these days I'm gonna steam me up a whole mess of lobsters and corn on the cob all at once!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a church thrift sale a couple of days ago.

I found a 12 by 18 inch black marble slab on rubber knobs that I put next to the stove for hot pots. It was a whole 50 cents.

I also got an Oxo apple slicer corer for 10 cents.

And a Crock Stick ceramic sharpening steel system for another 50 cents. It has 2 ceramic steels that sit in a wooden base at the correct angle.

I think I did real good!

I went to a church thrift sale a couple of days ago. 

I found a 12 by 18 inch black marble slab on rubber knobs that I put next to the stove for hot pots. It was a whole 50 cents.

I also got an Oxo apple slicer corer for 10 cents.

And a Crock Stick ceramic sharpening steel system for another 50 cents. It has 2 ceramic steels that sit in a wooden base at the correct angle.

I think I did real good!

Sounds like you did good, fer sure. Remember you can use that marble slab to temper chocolate, make fudge or candy too.

I just opened this while my desk is littered with 12x12 marble samples

maybe I can have some at the end of the project. Better yet maybe I can swing a trip to Italy to pick the slabs.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I scored very little this past weekend but my daughter got one of these and an extra one of these. Both never-out-of-the-box for a total of $30 Cdn. I priced them at a on-line Canadian kitchenware store and they total $112. The seller said she got them for a wedding present and had no interest in cooking!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Take a moment to read all of the user comments on Amazon. It's a real winner, especially if she can leave the bowl in the freezer, so it's ready to go.

(I have two, both from thrift/yard sales.) Wait, maybe I have two, plus a spare bowl? (PLEASE don't tell my wife!)

I'd say something here about compulsive shopping, but that would be thread drift. Let's just say that the unopened one is for eBay. Which it eventually is.

Proably the last weekend of going to garage sales but it was good one. Got an almost mint copy of Ma Cuisine by Escoffier - the translation by Vyvyan Holland - hard cover - .50 cents, 3 other read-and-recycle cook books, a "wannabe" Bamix for $5 (the one made in Italy) and some candy molds.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...
I scored a Cuisinart DLC-7 (the 14 cup model) at the reuse centre yesterday for $5.  Bowl, lid, blade and all.

I am totally green with envy! Why don't we have a green smiley for such occasions?

My 2004 eG Blog

THe neatest whipped cream whipper is available for the DLC-7 for a few bucks on eBay.

I did score a Zojirushi Bread Machine at Savers for $6.99 last week, and have started using it regularly. Talk about easy!

THe neatest whipped cream whipper is available for the DLC-7 for a few bucks on eBay.

I did score a Zojirushi Bread Machine at Savers for $6.99 last week, and have started using it regularly. Talk about easy!

Actually I've got one lying around in the basement, but whipping cream in the Kitchenaid works so much better and faster.