• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yard Sale, Thrift Store, Junk Heap Shopping (Part 1)

Rachel Perlow

I used to use some of my Indian Tree plates but after someone knocked a 5-tier off a table, breaking 4 of the plates, I decided that even though I have service for 24 plus some extras, I didn't want to lose any more as replacements are now very expensive.

I am very curious - what are Indian Tree plates? I have never heard of them.

gallery_17399_60_18656.jpg

Several companies made china, stoneware, etc., with this pattern, beginning in the early 1800s.

My great grandmother's set was given to her in 1861 as a wedding gift. Service for 24 and it includes a lot of extra pieces no longer seen in modern china (bone dishes, cream soup with covers, bread plates, butter pats, fruit cups and finger bowls). It also includes 20 serving pieces and a large soup tureen.

It is Coalport, bone china, polychrome (5 colors) and is heavily gilded which required two additional firings after the colored portion was fired.

The Spode version, which is usually two colors, orange/rust, green/rust, turquoise/rust, is more common and not too expensive.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Several companies made china, stoneware, etc., with this pattern, beginning in the early 1800s.

Thank you, Andie. They are beautiful and I do recognize that I have seen the pattern in the past.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Zoe,

Check ebay

Nesting bowls

or just

mixing bowls

Here's a set of greens from the 60s 4 green bowls

or

this set available as a buy it now, good price item.

However these cannot be used in a microwave because of the metallic paint fired onto the surface.

The stuff sparks.

This is a very nice set, rarely do you see all four of these - the earliest sets had these 4 bowls, later there were only 3, alternating colors.

Blue and white snowflake bowls.

This also happened with some of the double spout bowl sets. When first introduced there were 4 bowls in a set and later only three.

I have a fairly good-sized collection of Pyrex bowls. I also have a number of Fire-King bowls and several months ago broke the largest of my "Tulip" bowls.

It was not sold as part of the 3-bowl set but they will nest in it. It is very rare as it was only made in 1952/53. I inherited mine and always felt rather lucky to have the big one. I never put them in the dishwasher because on these the paint will wear away because it was fired at a lower temperature than later designs.

I was washing it without wearing rubber gloves and it slipped and banged against the divider in the sink. Darn! my fault.

Tulip by Fire-King

Recently there have been some reproductions of the "Primary Colors" mixing bowls coming out of China. They have the Pyrex ID on the bottom but the colors are off. The blue is slightly turquoise instead of the true medium blue and the red and green are also slightly off.

The "depression" jade green and clear green are also mostly reporductions now - Linens 'N Things has the milk glass stuff (modern) and the clear glass stuff is available in shapes and sizes that were never produced in the 1930s.

And if you have the time there really is Lots and lots of Pyrex

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

wow--Andie, thanks--you're a great research librarian (a polite term for enabler!!!)

can you believe it? someone here kindly offered me a set of these already! I just adore the swoopiness of them!

my former mixing bowl jones was for this one

polka dot fire king bowland that is a gorgeous pattern of china, Andie. that you have--do you ever go whole hog and use as many pieces as possible? it would look stupendous.

I have a beautiful classic set of white china with a gold greek key design that I inherited but I've never used it--although I would use yours if i had it because the colors are so lovely.

I do use my Great Aunt Zoe's silver tthough--I have tons of pieces of that--even fish knives and the like--but since I don't do eight course dinners I've never used all of it, either.

Z

Edited by zoe b (log)

I have a couple of the polka dot bowls, but not in black. I know I have two with red dots and one with yellow dots. As I recall, one is marked Anchor-Hocking instead of Fire-King. I have so much of this kind of stuff I really can't recall all the details and much of it is put away.

I really should pull some of it out and take some up to date photos, digital, because so many of the pieces were acquired before digital cameras were available - I did have one of the first Apple QuickTake 100 cameras - but much of my stuff is pictured on slides.

I have a lot of the Tulip kitchenware - grease jar, salt & pepper, spice jars, butter dish(rare) and even a citrus juicer(also rare), all collected from family members many years ago. If they had realized it would become so collectible, they would have probably held onto it.

I just got a notice in the mail of an estate auction just outside Mojave this Friday and I think I may attend. It says contents of house, barn and outbuildings built in 1921, continuously occupied by the same family. Antiques and collectibles, farm implements, vehicles, appliances and fixtures. Sounds interesting.

Fortunately it is this week and not last - temps were well over 100 and no way would I go out in that heat.

This friday temps are supposed to be in the 80s. Very comfortable and actually lower than normal.

I have used a lot of the Indian Tree china for sit-down dinners (once for 18).

There are actually multiple sets of the dinner and salad (demi) plates to allow for multiple courses.

I have the original fitted "crates" (they are really trunks) in which the china was shipped from Thomas Goode & Co. London with the royal warrants stuck on the insides of the lids. Most of it is packed away, I only keep a few place settings out. Although, I do have a huge Welsh dresser that has been in my storage shed for about 15 years, that I originally bought to display this set. At the time the house was being remodeled and my studio built and there was no place to put the dresser (ceilings too low) so it was stuck in the back of the shed. Now there is no much stuff in front of it I think it will take a crew of big guys to rearrange things so I can move it into the house. A project for later in the year.

whee!!

brand new hand cranked donvier ice cream maker in canary yellow, only $4, I'm so happy, it makes much nicer ice cream than my electric rival ice cream maker :wub:

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

Today's finds for a total of $2.50

gallery_6903_111_30895.jpg

I doubt any will make it into my permanent collection but they make for a nice read on a quiet Saturday afternoon.

I also scored a 9" Anchor-Hocking glass pie plate and my daughter nabbed a Russell-Hobbs never-taken-out-of-the-box Belgian waffle iron for $8!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow, great buys. All three of the cookbooks look great.

Wow, great buys.  All three of the cookbooks look great.

Here's the thing... not one of these books would have received a second glance from me in a bookstore but I have fallen in love with "Kitchen Suppers" and another Society member has promised to give "The Chilean Kitchen" a good home once I have made its acquaintance. I have still to delve into the monastery cookbook. These sales are perfect for giving one a chance to read about a cuisine for less than the price of a "horrid" Starbuck's coffee. :smile:

My 2004 eG Blog

My Spouse found this last weekend.

gallery_25969_665_416512.jpg

I really love this. Its plastic and the silver handle is metal. I already have a matching cake plate. She paid 50 cents for this.

gallery_25969_665_238468.jpg

vintage nomar( now staub) cast iron sauce pan. She paid 2 bucks for this.

At a state surplus auction, we paid $4 for what we thought was a box of Melanime plates. It turned out to be 3 pallets full of them! never opened.

We sold 'em at swap meets for .25/ ea. There were over 3,000 pieces!!!

gallery_34671_2649_66913.jpg

4 Riedel glasses, labels still on, 25 cents each.

wow, what a great deal. Today we got a brand new( but vintage) aluminum xmas tree, bakelite handled knives( will go on ebay), 2 pyrex nesting bowls( 1.00), ivory handled angel food cake cutter and lifter, LANE cedar chest, a hamilton beach shake mixer, and a few other odds and ends.

gallery_34671_2649_66913.jpg

4 Riedel glasses, labels still on, 25 cents each.

wow, what a great deal. Today we got a brand new( but vintage) aluminum xmas tree, bakelite handled knives( will go on ebay), 2 pyrex nesting bowls( 1.00), ivory handled angel food cake cutter and lifter, LANE cedar chest, a hamilton beach shake mixer, and a few other odds and ends.

OUCH! Today I had to stay home and dream while you guys were out getting all those bargains! Congratulations Kerry and CaliPoutine!

My 2004 eG Blog

I was on a tee shirt run at a thrift store yesterday and low and behold I spied what looked like a brand new George Foreman Grill for three bucks (after 25% store discount). It was plugged in in, worked very well and went home with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Mr Used this morning. That's the place that supplies all the stuff they make things out of on the Red Green show.

I found this dutch tea cosy. I have a couple already and I often give them to friend for presents. They keep your tea warm for about 24 hours. This one has a bit of rust on the metal but doesn't look like it has ever been used.

The cost? -free- Len, who owns the joint loves it when I bring chocolate or candy. Today it was fruit jellies.

gallery_34671_2649_47637.jpggallery_34671_2649_38608.jpg

Wow! Free is the best!

I found a Kitchenaid mixer without beaters for $10 at Goodwill. I'll be parting the bowl and mixer motor unit out on eBay tomorrow, along with a Granton knife and 14" meat slicing knife from a Tony Packos employee moving sale (remember M*A*S*H in Toledo?)

I'm using the $$$ to save for a vent hood that vents outside, and more Viking cookware, and and and......... :wub:

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about taking and posting a picture of the Swiss music box peppergrinder with the nudies :laugh: on the side mentioned upthread. Soon. :raz:

Edited by Sam Iam (log)

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

Wow! Free is the best!

I found a Kitchenaid mixer without beaters for $10 at Goodwill. I'll be parting the bowl and mixer motor unit out on eBay tomorrow, along with a Granton knife and 14" meat slicing knife from a Tony Packos employee moving sale (remember M*A*S*H in Toledo?)

I'm using the $$$ to save for a vent hood that vents outside, and more Viking cookware, and and and......... :wub:

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about taking and posting a picture of the Swiss music box peppergrinder with the nudies  :laugh:  on the side mentioned upthread. Soon. :raz:

I'm dying to see the peppergrinder. After I saw your post I went online checking out music boxes and learned some neat things.

So, the picture already!

Kerry,

That tea cosy is the cat's meow and who can complain about the price!

Not much today - a couple of cook books which I haven't had a chance to open yet, a rather nice glass sushi set - I am not likely to make sushi but the dishes are attractive and I will find other uses for them - cost $2.

Almost scored a BAMIX immersion blender until we asked to see it work - it didn't - but my daughter asked for and got two extra beakers for hers and spare attachments for the same price as Kerry paid for the tea cosy! Incidentally my daughter got her BAMIX at a garage sale a few years ago for $1!

Edited to fix egregious typo!

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Almost scored a BAMIX immersion blender until we asked to see it work - it didn't - but my daughter asked for and got two extra beakers for hers and spare attachments for the same price as Kerry paid for the tea cosy!  Incidentally my daughter got her BAMIX at a garage sale a few years ago for $1!

Shame about the BAMIX, that would have been a great score. A place in Alberta called Ocean Sales will repair them for you. Great to get the spare parts though, that's the expensive part.

Ok, you all have inspired me to hit the streets on weekends, l love buying vintage cookware/dishes, I just run out of room..:)

So here is my latest great bargain of all time, not from a flea market or yard sale, but a fantastic deal all the same, so I hope I am not posting in the wrong place:

DSCN1057.jpg

This is the 13 1/4 quart size, brand new. Here's the great deal price sticker (it was as clear as I could get, so I apologize for the quality of it.)

DSCN1066.jpg

It essentially says that the pot cost 116.25 from a suggestive retail price of $465.00. My dad got it at a sample sale that he knew of from a friend, after asking me if I would be interested, uh, duh Dad. He ended up giving it to me, but when we met him and his girlfriend for dinner tonight to retrieve the treasure, I paid for dinner which was slightly more than the pot, but all the same, worth it in my opinion. Now, what to make first to christen it?

I have been in Orange County for the past week (LA WorldCon was at the Anaheim Convention Center) staying with my best friend in Yorba Linda. On my way back to their house from the CC yesterday, I saw people putting stuff out in a driveway - a double driveway shared by two houses and both families were getting ready for a yard sale starting this morning. I explained that I would be on my way home early this morning so they allowed me to look at the stuff they had already put out. (Their teenage sons were going to sleep out in a tent to guard the stuff overnight.)

I bought an unusual cast iron skillet with a picture of a river steamboat on the bottom and "American Cookware" "Made in the U.S.A." Also a large copper colander. Photos maybe tomorrow, I am fairly exhausted. I haven't been to a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Con for 25 years or so. I had a great time, spent way too much money on books - one dealer from New Jersey had some terrific 1st editions I couldn't resist, all signed.

Well enough about the OT stuff.

I also bought some vintage tablecloths, dishtowels and napkins.

Went to Mr Used this morning. That's the place that supplies all the stuff they make things out of on the Red Green show.

I found this dutch tea cosy. I have a couple already and I often give them to friend for presents. They keep your tea warm for about 24 hours. This one has a bit of rust on the metal but doesn't look like it has ever been used.

The cost? -free- Len, who owns the joint loves it when I bring chocolate or candy. Today it was fruit jellies.

I love those tea cozys. I have two but didn't get such a good "buy" as you!

I tried to buy one with beautiful tapestry material on eBay but someone outbid my snipe.

Ok, you all have inspired me to hit the streets on weekends, l love buying vintage cookware/dishes, I just run out of room..:)

So here is my latest great bargain of all time, not from a flea market or yard sale, but a fantastic deal all the same, so I hope I am not posting in the wrong place:

DSCN1057.jpg

Now, what to make first to christen it?

Check out the thread on duck confit. Looks like they use the same pot. And this is the perfect thread for any amazing cooking bargain, no matter where found.