• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef America (Part 1)

bpearis

Flay by a point in presentation.

did flay deserve to win?? if every iron chef america episode has the iron chefs winning, then that just really sucks. they should have a well-known food critic from japan on the judging panel.

I havent seen any of the episodes(I miss IC, the original!), but I think it would be a better idea to have French and Japanese judges to grade American chefs.

Comments in Japanese and French. With translations, of course.

Why not?

Edited by FaustianBargain (log)

Is this really a pastry/dessert battle? How? Batali never seemed that dessert oriented to me. I've seen his show and on the occasion that he does do a dessert, it's always some "torta rustica" that he shlopps together and overbakes. Can he be THAT much of a threat in a pastry battle? Maybe i'm wrong but i'm not thinkin' so.

And while we're on the subject of ICA, who picked Flay, Batali, and Morimoto to be Americas "chosen" iron chefs?. OK, you can make the case for Morimoto...but Flay? Batali? There are so many awesome chefs in america i find the selection of Flay and Batali befuddling. If i had to pick 3 chefs to be americas iron chefs, two of them ain't gonna be Flay and Batali...with all due respect.

I think pastry battles would be awesome. Having two reputable pc's deul it out? i'd never miss an episode. I just happen to think that Mr. Laiskonis is going to hand Mr. Batali his a$$.

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho

That's just like flay to show even more disrespect to another chef. Remember when he stood on the cutting board and pissed of morimoto. It just makes sense that he would disrespect bayless as well. I guess jealousy gets the better of a lot of people.

That's just like flay to show even more disrespect to another chef. Remember when he stood on the cutting board and pissed of morimoto. It just makes sense that he would disrespect bayless as well. I guess jealousy gets the better of a lot of people.

He did it twice. The second time was clearly to inflame.

As a side note, Escoffier is the one who created the kitchen brigade system based on the Army (he was earlier in his career an army cook). That is why there is this code of respect and a strict hierarchy in the kitchen. The rule is honour amongst cooks and chefs.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Flay by a point in presentation.

did flay deserve to win?? if every iron chef america episode has the iron chefs winning, then that just really sucks. they should have a well-known food critic from japan on the judging panel.

I havent seen any of the episodes(I miss IC, the original!), but I think it would be a better idea to have French and Japanese judges to grade American chefs.

Comments in Japanese and French. With translations, of course.

Why not?

In the original the translations were done by Canadians living in Japan. I loved their lyrical, poetic, syntactically akward translations and the way the women especially imitated the Japanese actresses overly giggly way of speaking. It was one of the highlights of the show for me.

Dean of Culinary Arts

I find all of this (apparently genuine) ill-will towards Flay quite funny, if very hard to understand. When he was on the original IC, I got the impression that he was obviously playing the "heel" character. Getting upset about his behavior seems a bit like getting upset that "Stone Cold" Steve Austin didn't show enough respect to Hulk Hogan. Both the original IC and ICA seem to have as much in common with WWF as they do with serious cooking (which is why it's such an odd, entertaining concept). Let's not fool ourselves that it's anything really worth getting upset about. Also let's not pretend that the original IC was some high-minded tribute to haute cuisine. It was fun. Although, like most games, it did have it's serious side, it was still a game. It wouldn't surprise me if the whole standing on the chopping board thing was "suggested" by producers. I believe that both Morimoto and Bayliss are both on very good terms with Flay in real life, so I don't see why anyone else would take it so seriously.

I also highly doubt that Flay is "jealous" of anyone. He seems to be doing quite well.

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

That's just like flay to show even more disrespect to another chef. Remember when he stood on the cutting board and pissed of morimoto.

Oh yeah, talking about rubbing people the wrong way.

In a japanese kitchen, there are two things that are sacred, your knife and cutting board. Standing with your dirty shoes on a cutting board is possibly the worst sign of disrespect (honestly, I can't think of anything worst).

Kaga-san should have immediately summoned a Seppukku so that at least Flay could regain face in front of millions of bewildered Japanese viewers.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

not sure if the batali vs. laiskonis battle is either a dessert or savory battle..but there's a picture on foodtv with mr. laiskonis doing something with a pan..if anyone can figure out the contents of what's in the pan..maybe that'll give us a hint if it is a dessert or savory battle.

When he was on the original IC, I got the impression that he was obviously playing the "heel" character.

This is definitely a major component of ICA. Regardless of whether Bobby Flay's "jerk" persona is staged or not, I think a lot of us (including me) will be more excited about watching Flay battles just because we want to see him go down. He's the designated bad guy. In fact, I wonder if that was an element of the original show when Morimoto became the Japanese Iron Chef. Did the Japanese audience tune into his battles hoping to see his "New York" style and attitude get badly beaten by a pure, thoroughly traditional Japanese chef?

Personally, I hope Flay wins every battle, allowing his arrogance to reach unknown heights, before he is soundly beaten in the final battle by... [blush] a woman!

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about.

Troy McClure, hosting the film, The Meat Council Presents: Meat and You - Partners in Freedom

When he was on the original IC, I got the impression that he was obviously playing the "heel" character.

This is definitely a major component of ICA. Regardless of whether Bobby Flay's "jerk" persona is staged or not, I think a lot of us (including me) will be more excited about watching Flay battles just because we want to see him go down. He's the designated bad guy. In fact, I wonder if that was an element of the original show when Morimoto became the Japanese Iron Chef. Did the Japanese audience tune into his battles hoping to see his "New York" style and attitude get badly beaten by a pure, thoroughly traditional Japanese chef?

Personally, I hope Flay wins every battle, allowing his arrogance to reach unknown heights, before he is soundly beaten in the final battle by... [blush] a woman!

My wife is up for the battle. Of course I would be her Sous Chef. :wink:

Dean of Culinary Arts

Yes, Michael started out on the hot side of the kitchen. I'd bet big money that he's damn good with savory too! After all he works very closely with his chefs and he's always abreast of whats happening.

I also sort of wondered how they picked the chefs..........but I don't really care too much, it is entertainment only. I'll look to other culinary competitions learn who's the best in the States. If you think about it, to have a good show it's got to be darn helpful to have experienced tv chefs who can cook, talk, look in the right camera and entertain at the same time.

I'll be watching..............go Michael!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still like Flay. His food looks very good, and I could care less about if he is or isn;t an asshole, hey, assholes can be fun sometime.

I just watched my Tivo'd ICA episode 2 tonight. I actually liked the latin guy's food a bit more, but hey, the judges didn't seem to agree. His catfish dessert in particular seemed original and intriguing.

One thing that really got me though, is that I wanted to slap Steingarten across the face. He comes off as a total fuckhead on the show, whether that is due to editing or not I don't know. He didn't make many intelligent comments to offset his general and negative comments. He also made comments to the other judges, which the other judges refrained from. I personally would have no problem with him being replaced with someone else on that panel.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Personally, I hope Flay wins every battle, allowing his arrogance to reach unknown heights, before he is soundly beaten in the final battle by...  [blush] a woman!

Perky and armed with a santoku?

One thing that really got me though, is that I wanted to slap Steingarten across the face.  He comes off as a total fuckhead on the show, whether that is due to editing or not I don't know.  He didn't make many intelligent comments to offset his general and negative comments.  He also made comments to the other judges, which the other judges refrained from.  I personally would have no problem with him being replaced with someone else on that panel.

I'm with you too. He is really out of bonds with the rest of the show. I'm sorry we have to listen to his pompous findings. Very disappointing

That's just like flay to show even more disrespect to another chef. Remember when he stood on the cutting board and pissed of morimoto.

Oh yeah, talking about rubbing people the wrong way.

In a japanese kitchen, there are two things that are sacred, your knife and cutting board. Standing with your dirty shoes on a cutting board is possibly the worst sign of disrespect (honestly, I can't think of anything worst).

Kaga-san should have immediately summoned a Seppukku so that at least Flay could regain face in front of millions of bewildered Japanese viewers.

You cant think of anything worse then putting dirty shoes on a cutting board.. :biggrin: I have thought of a few more parts that would be more offensive. :biggrin:

I really love Steingarten's addition to the show.. He is the only judge that actually has given his opinion, as well as adding some entertainment value.  I think its a lot more helpfull to the audience then having a Zagat crony describe a dish as being "good".. Thanks for the insight there lady.    Steingarten is the Simon of Iron Chef and I hope they keep him.

Except that he is really only a food enthusiast and really does not add anything other than his opinion. I find his criticism pretty cold and very shallow. And i do not give it much weight.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "really only a food enthusiast." Steingarten participated in a popular eGullet Froum Q&A back in 2003. He's been writing about food since 1988 and has authored at least three food books that have achieved significant acclaim. There are few food authors who research their topics as well as he does. You're entitled to feel he's pompous or even an ass, if that's your opinion, but his opinion is that of a professional culinary journalist, not someone who's only a food enthusiast. Perhaps I've misinterpreted your comment.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

i agree with bux i think he comes off as an asshole but i think hes right most of the time. Like that cous cous paela that dude made that i had a nightmare about the other day. He said that the sausage was over cooked. I thought that was his way of saying if th esausage was over cooked then everything is rubber. Just remember who the last seat is. On the OG IC it was always the toughest judge to please either the food critic or the fortune teller. I think this is the same way he has the last seat he is the most knowledgable and hardest to please. Weather you agree with his attitude or not i think its ignorant to say he doesn't bring anything to the show. Besides alton and teh actual chefs he brings the most to the show. More then the zagat lady and the chubby lady in th emiddle who obviously didn't have a fucking clue when she said that forsaken cous cous dish was good.

On the OG IC it was always the toughest judge to please either the food critic or the fortune teller. I think this is the same way he has the last seat he is the most knowledgable and hardest to please. Weather you agree with his attitude or not i think its ignorant to say he doesn't bring anything to the show. Besides alton and teh actual chefs he brings the most to the show. More then the zagat lady and the chubby lady in th emiddle who obviously didn't have a fucking clue when she said that forsaken cous cous dish was good.

I find it intersting how we can think a judge was right or wrong about the food when we ourselves haven't tasted a thing!

Your point about the last seat on the judging panel is bang on. Anbody remember when the fortune teller said to one of the Iron Chefs (Sakai if memory serves me ...) "The first bite was horrible. The second was even worse!"? Classic!

What I don't understand is why we can't carry that theory over to the other "bimbo" judges. There there for entertainment factor, not food knowledge. Steingarten provides that. I had no problem with the guy from the Sopranos when he was on. Certainly no different than when the original IC had a sumo wrestler or some baseball player, or even Korn (not the band, some Japanese rock star). How many times was there some giggling 20 year old sating "this tastes happy!! teehee teehee teehee"? How long before Brittney is on the show? Soon I hope! "Oops, I bit it again!"

A.

Korn was an artist

Now the thing you wrong about is this. the japanese as a whole have a much, much. much more educated palate then we americans or anyone else for that matter. As a matter a fact there was a study done that proved that a japanese woman has the overall best palate in teh world.

So with that information coupled with the overall dedication to food in the japanese culture its easy to see that the average person especially celebrity in japan is much more knowledgable then pussy from teh sopranos or the average american.

I still like Flay.  His food looks very good, and I could care less about if he is or isn;t an asshole, hey, assholes can be fun sometime.

I just watched my Tivo'd ICA episode 2 tonight.  I actually liked the latin guy's food a bit more, but hey, the judges didn't seem to agree.  His catfish dessert in particular seemed original and intriguing.

One thing that really got me though, is that I wanted to slap Steingarten across the face.  He comes off as a total fuckhead on the show, whether that is due to editing or not I don't know.  He didn't make many intelligent comments to offset his general and negative comments.  He also made comments to the other judges, which the other judges refrained from.  I personally would have no problem with him being replaced with someone else on that panel.

Not only does Steingarten come off as an ass, but does anyone else think that he eats like a pig? He holds his fork just like my 19 month old son!

Edited by terrarich (log)

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

I agree Steingarten can use a course on tableware usage! Don't they have such classes(for children yes), but dahling, with his association w/Vogue...surely a private tutor ...

My question really is, Chef Trevino is associated to what eating establishment? They really should establish the challenger's credentials/resume at the start...

Korn was an artist

Now the thing you wrong about is this. the japanese as a whole have a much, much. much more educated palate then we americans or anyone else for that matter. As a matter a fact there was a study done that proved that a japanese woman has the overall best palate in teh world.

So with that information coupled with the overall dedication to food in the japanese culture its easy to see that the average person especially celebrity in japan is much more knowledgable then pussy from teh sopranos or the average american.

The Japanese use of mayonnaise and ketchup is pure genius, no doubt.

Edited by esvoboda (log)

Korn was an artist

The Japanese use of mayonnaise and ketchup is pure genius, no doubt.

My last post on egullet sniff sniff or ha ha I don't give a shit. Lmao Rotfl. Russian dressing and the other great sauce, tartar that is (canned or jarred). I've said it before, a "genius" in one cuisine is an ape in another.

Dean of Culinary Arts

I find all of this (apparently genuine) ill-will towards Flay quite funny, if very hard to understand. When he was on the original IC, I got the impression that he was obviously playing the "heel" character. Getting upset about his behavior seems a bit like getting upset that "Stone Cold" Steve Austin didn't show enough respect to Hulk Hogan. Both the original IC and ICA seem to have as much in common with WWF as they do with serious cooking (which is why it's such an odd, entertaining concept). Let's not fool ourselves that it's anything really worth getting upset about. Also let's not pretend that the original IC was some high-minded tribute to haute cuisine. It was fun. Although, like most games, it did have it's serious side, it was still a game. It wouldn't surprise me if the whole standing on the chopping board thing was "suggested" by producers. I believe that both Morimoto and Bayliss are both on very good terms with Flay in real life, so I don't see why anyone else would take it so seriously.

I also highly doubt that Flay is "jealous" of anyone. He seems to be doing quite well.

Only people with no life take this seriously

From Dixon, Wyoming