• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef America (Part 1)

bpearis

I was watching City Cooks this past Saturday (Sept 18). Simi Sara's guest chef was Rob Feenie, who indicated that he would be participating on the Iron Chef America show with two of his staff. Does anyone have any more details? I was wondering when the actual competition is and who he is planning to take with him. I would assume (hope!) he would take Marnie Coldham. I think it's great to see Canadian chefs on the Iron Chef shows!

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

Rob will be shooting Iron Chef America later this year. He'll likely take and/or Wayne from Lumiere and Marc-Andre from Feenie's--that's not finalized yet but I'll try to keep you posted.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Rob will be shooting Iron Chef America later this year. He'll likely take either/or Wayne from Lumiere and Marc-Andre from Feenie's--that's not finalized yet but I'll try to keep you posted.

Just as long as he doesn't jump up on the cutting board and do his little dance afterwards. Moriomotto hated it when Boby Flay did that, and now that Flay is an Iron Chef (still trying to figure that one out) he's not as happy-go-lucky as he once was.

The new series of Iron Chef America is being shot using a new production crew. They plan on airng 10 episodes early 2005. Don't know where Feenie fits in. Whatever the case, ICA completely misses the fun that made the original series so great. Rob should kick Puck's ASS.

Arne

I've seen a couple of the new shows. The host is unimpressive as a copy of the original host. The food critics were not introduced, but they were very pro-U.S. and hard put to give points to Morimoto or Sakai. The running commentary by Alton, and Brauch was fine, but so was the translated and re-enacted comments on the original show. Needs work...

Will Mr Feenie be an american chef? I was struck by the comments of Jimmy Roberts after the Ryder Cup. He claimed the Europeans all live shoulder to shoulder on thier continent, while WE (americans) are all alone over here on ours. Hello did you notice there is a country to the north and another to the south? I'm glad they kicked your asses.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Will Mr Feenie be an american chef? I was struck by the comments of Jimmy Roberts after the Ryder Cup. He claimed the Europeans all live shoulder to shoulder on thier continent, while WE (americans) are all alone over here on ours. Hello did you notice there is a country to the north and another to the south? I'm glad they kicked your asses.

Rob would be a challenger I'm assuming. They seem to have their Iron Chefs already set (Batali, Puck & Flay), unless of course Feenie becomes that rogue fourth Iron Chef, much like Kobe - Iron Chef Italian. Rob could be Iron Chef Canuck and come out holding a hockey stick and a side of back bacon. Beauty!

The Ryder cup was great wasn't it? Only second best to the US Basketball team going for Bronze in Athens!

Arne

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to let everyone know that Michael Laiskonis will be a challenger on the Food Network version on Iron Chef America. Ten new episodes will be taped this week and aired in January!

Michael will be challenging Iron Chef Mario Batali!!! (October 13)

Michael if you read this . . .

GOOD LUCK against Mario Batali and I (and Im sure our other members) would love to hear about your experience on the show . . . now I cant wait for the episodes to air in January . . . Iron Chef is one of my favorite shows!!!!

Since I live in Tinytown, and Tinytown Cable doesn't provide me with the Food Network (probably a good thing because then I'd NEVER get anything done).....I'm wondering....does Iron Chef America do the same thing as the original Iron Chef where the contestants and provided with a mystery ingredient at the beginning of the show? Or do they just get a "theme"?

Personally, I think PC's and savory chefs are two different animals. I'd rather see Laiskonis go up against another PC.....it would be much more exciting. I've never known Batali to be much of a PC, so if Laiskonis is going against him, and it's a dessert thing, then yeah.....Batali is goin' down!

All the information was posted on the best Iron Chef fansite on the net . . .

Iron Fans

I have been a fan of Iron Chef since it started in Japan, and if theres anything to know about it . . . I know it ;)

Yeah if its a strictly PC battle, I dont know and I do agree Mario is going down.

In the First three battles, specifically the one between Wolfgang Puck and Morimoto, Wolfgang had Sherry Yard as his assistant and the theme was eggs. She did an awesome job making a lemon dessert with Meyer Lemon Curd, Meringue and . . . something else I cant remember, of course all using eggs as the central ingredient. I would assume that this is going to be similar along the lines with Michael and Mario . . . .

Le Petit eh Nightscotsman . . . :wink:

Didn't he start at Tribute as a line cook? I know I've read that he put in several years on the "hot side" before re-inventing himself as pastry chef. In any case, I've no doubt that he'll acquit himself well in the competition.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Didn't he start at Tribute as a line cook?  I know I've read that he put in several years on the "hot side" before re-inventing himself as pastry chef.  In any case, I've no doubt that he'll acquit himself well in the competition.

That's the cool thing about PC's. I'm fairly sure more of them have done "hot side" time before going into the pastry side, as opposed to chefs who have stayed "hot side". I have found a lot of savory guys who try pastry end up saying they don't have the patience for it.

Iron Fans website has just posted the new schedule for ICA.

NEW SCHEDULE

From the site:

Masaharu Morimoto vs. Rob Feenie

Challenger Rob Feenie is owner and executive chef of Lumière Restaurant in Vancouver, Canada and a Food Network Canada host.

Judges: Barbara Fairchild (Executive Editor of Bon Appetit magazine), Victoria Riccardi (Food Writer), and Akiko Katayama (Japanese Food Writer).

The Iron Chefs will be Mario Batali, Bobby Flay, Cat Cora, and Masaharu Morimoto.

Martial arts expert Mark Dacascos will act as the "Chairman".

He starred in TV series "The Crow: Stairway to Heaven" as Eric Draven.  You can also check out his official site: http://www.dacascos.com/

Alton Brown of Good Eats will be the commentator. He will fill the role of Dr. Hattori and Fukui-san, providing the play-by-play and insights on the ingredients being utilized.

Kevin Brauch of The Thirsty Traveler is filling in as Ota, the floor reporter.

No word on airing dates

A.

I'm sure you acquited yourself well. When will the show be on?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Iron Fans website has just posted the new schedule for ICA.

NEW SCHEDULE

From the site:

No word on airing dates

A.

Looks like January but I'll get a more exact date shortly.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"