• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef America (Part 1)

bpearis

They filmed 2 versions with each team winning so nobody would really know who won until it was time.

If that is the reason for the curious reactions, it is unfortunate, because it really took away from any genuine tension IMHO.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

They filmed 2 versions with each team winning so nobody would really know who won until it was time.

If that is the reason for the curious reactions, it is unfortunate, because it really took away from any genuine tension IMHO.

I think Chris was joking. You were joking, right? Right? Cause if not, that's the most horrible thing I've ever heard.

Edited by bpearis (log)

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Does anyone know who the upcoming challengers might be? Is there a published schedule anywhere (didn't see anything on FoodTV.com)?

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Ok, I know it's just TV, but that's awful...

I was about to post, when I saw that...

Anyway, what I don't fully understand is that on the original IC, the chefs each cook the same cuisine: French, Chinese, Japanese, whatever. Here, each chef did his specialty, so they're not even working in the same vernacular. I realize they wanted to use Flay, Batali, and Puck, as they're the big stars on FN, but it was comparing apples to oranges, not apples to apples...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I think Chris was joking. You were joking, right? Right? Cause if not, that's the most horrible thing I've ever heard.

Maintaining the suspense is all part of the kitsch that IC must offer to maintain viewer interest, no? I know I am glued to the set to see the outcome, anxiously chewing my nails .... :laugh:

even worse that the Bush-Gore election tension ....

Chris joking? Is this a new phenomenon? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Not joking....I dont know about every match, but I was told on the set that they filmed 2 versions....Its kinda like keeping the winner of survivor a secret, they didnt want to let it out. You have to understand that if it leaked out it would have ruined the whole thing.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Not joking....I dont know about every match, but I was told on the set that they filmed 2 versions....Its kinda like keeping the winner of survivor a secret, they didnt want to let it out. You have to understand that if it leaked out it would have ruined the whole thing.

So instead they just made it all bullshit.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

That didn't seem to be a problem with ICJ. Do they film the episodes so far in advance that this is a serious concern?

~ Fernand Point

Can some of you folks e mail me with specific likes and dislikes of the show. Can you also include first name, age and city you live in...Your comments WILL be seen by the makers of the show, please put some thought into them and try not to vent.

Keep them to the point if you can

something like I really liked the----- because, but I didnt like----

E gullet powers activate :smile::shock::cool:

Oh yea, I am leaving right now for Disneyland and wont be back till evening so I cant answer e-mails till then

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

So much for honest reactions... probably the same reason why they don't have a studio audience, so the result won't leak out. But truthfully, I'd rather have some spoilers and see an honest to goodness look of surprise or disappointment on the winner or loser's face, instead of a canned reaction. These are chefs, not actors! One of the things I liked most about the original IC was that the reactions seemed so honest - heck, I could've sworn more than once that Chen had tears welling up in his eyes (btw, I love him because he's so expressive... you don't have to know Japanese at all to understand what's going through his head)! In an effort to keep "reality tv" a surprise, it has ceased being "real." Kind of a head-scratcher, ain't it? :wink:

ETA: Thanks for the opportunity to express our opinions, Chris! I promise I won't rant too much.:)

Edited by Saydee (log)

I thought one of the best moments was Alton Brown's impersonation of Kaga in the beginning of the preview special. He was cracking me up as he did the yellow pepper scene Alton-style: measuring the pepper and writing down notes, etc...

I've always been curious about the meals given to the judges on IC. Since all the dishes from both competitors are done at the same time, how are they served? Surely most of the dishes can't sit around that long? Especially for whoever goes second...

Chris Sadler

Anyway, what I don't fully understand is that on the original IC, the chefs each cook the same cuisine: French, Chinese, Japanese, whatever. Here, each chef did his specialty, so they're not even working in the same vernacular. I realize they wanted to use Flay, Batali, and Puck, as they're the big stars on FN, but it was comparing apples to oranges, not apples to apples...

Not the case, I'm afraid - from the beginning, challengers have always cooked in their specialties, and "cross-cuisine" battles were rather common on the original IC.

At least 110 of the 274 regular episodes (that's around 40%), and quite a few of the specials.

Charlie

Walled Lake, Michigan

And what brand were those jars of spices? Looked interesting, but it kind of reminded me of the Rachel Ray generic "Chicken Broth" with the fake labels.

Sorry for the late response to a question from early on, but those are the house-label bulk spices from Surfas Restaurant Supply in Los Angeles. It's a great place to shop.

Thanks all for your comments... In addition to emailing to Chris, your thoughts on this thread will also be read by people who worked on the show.

Speaking of Chris, I owe you sincere thanks for providing me with the Iron Chef pix, you're the best! :wub:

Once again The Daily Gullet brings you the inside scoop. Patricia Gay ("TrishCT" to you) talks to Iron Chef America director Michael Simon here.

The interview by Patricia Gay was marvelous! Insight into the various internal components of ICA make my viewing of the episodes so much more interesting ...

Thanks for this humorous and insightful article, Patricia. :biggrin:

Thanks for your comments! Please call me Trish. :smile:

Not the case, I'm afraid - from the beginning, challengers have always cooked in their specialties, and "cross-cuisine" battles were rather common on the original IC.

At least 110 of the 274 regular episodes (that's around 40%), and quite a few of the specials.

Well, I must not have seen those, as I distinctly remember that both Chefs cooked the same cuisine in the shows I've seen (which according to your numbers, is the Majority, anyway). :wink:

I still say it'd be more fair if it didn't compare Southwestern and Japanese (Flay battle). That's just ridiculous.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Brian Unger was just on NPR discussing his role as a Judge in the Flay/Sakai battle (Link Here)

He made the point that IC has always had at least one judge on the panel that is by no means a food expert, and that this was the position he was filling. I didn't have a problem with the judges not all being huge foodies myself, I thought it was pretty much in the spirit of the original.

Since we have Iron Chef topics flying all over the place like crazy (we've had to merge or lock a few redundant ones) I'd like to give a little mini-index of the existing ones to try and stem further duplication.

Here are the locations of the existing Iron Chef topics. Please try and keep discussion of the appropriate episodes and/or versions of the show in the proper topic:

Iron Chef America--overall reactions

Iron Chef America--Episode 1

Iron Chef America--Episode 2

Iron Chef America--Episode 3

Iron Chef America--Episode 4 (Tag Team battle)

Archival topic about Chris Cognac's trip to see the show

Topic for Iron Chef: The Japanese Edition

Topic for the dopey William Shatner hosted version

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I thought it was a lot of fun, even with all the issues mentioned so far.  And despite my long-time dislike of Bobby Flay, his dishes looked really freakin tasty.  I'm gonna give Flay-bashing a pass for a little while.

Flay showed much more talent and ingenuity than I gave him credit for. My future bashing will only be for his cockiness.

I thought that FN did an outstanding job with ICA. A bit of tweaking will make it an excellent show.

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!

Nice article, Trish, and your questions were right on. ICA was WAY much better than its ludicrous Vegas/WWF predecessor. A foil for Alton and/or interaction with or among the judges (especially if there's an expert on the panel) would be a plus. So would be a just a touch more of the campy gravitas of ICJ, and a limited, polite in-studio audience -- but nothing approaching, um, that ludicrous Vegas/WWF atmosphere. The show has promise.

Edit: Inserted campy gravitas.

Edited by ahr (log)

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

I thought it was a lot of fun, even with all the issues mentioned so far.  And despite my long-time dislike of Bobby Flay, his dishes looked really freakin tasty.  I'm gonna give Flay-bashing a pass for a little while.

Flay showed much more talent and ingenuity than I gave him credit for. My future bashing will only be for his cockiness.

I thought that FN did an outstanding job with ICA. A bit of tweaking will make it an excellent show.

i believe i read in an L.A. Times article that, about a week before the competition, the contestants were given a very short list of potential theme ingredients and were told the theme ingredient would be one of those on the list. (i hope my memory isn't failing me.) it's a lot easier to display ingenuity/creativity when you know what's coming.

in general, i think FN did everything possible to ensure that the american chefs didn't look bad.

i believe i read in an L.A. Times article that, about a week before the competition, the contestants were given a very short list of potential theme ingredients and were told the theme ingredient would be one of those on the list. (i hope my memory isn't failing me.) it's a lot easier to display ingenuity/creativity when you know what's coming.

Iron Chef Japan used the same approach.