• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eastside restaurants

Work moved to the Eastside . . . so I would like to find out what are some good places to eat on the Eastside, meaning Redmond, Bellevue, Kirkland.

Some places I know of are:

Juanita Bay Grill?

Sichuanese cuisine

Cafe Ori

Kiku sushi?

Malay Satay hut(comes with stuck up servers)

What are some of your fav places and dishes?

Thanks!

Seastar and Ooba's are the only ones I'd miss if the bridges vaporized ...and really only Ooba's. Seastar is good, but I'd be there a lot more often if they came in at 60-75% of the current pricetag. You're not so much paying for the quality of the food/drinks as you are for the convenience of not having to drive to Belltown to get it.

Someone else is sure to mention Cafe Juanita and Zmania's, which I haven't yet gotten to try.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Under the inexpensive and VERY casual category (we're talking card tables, folding chairs, order at the counter, etc) is La Cocina del Puerco on Main street, a block or two west of 8th in Bellevue. Terrific Mexican food.

I'm pretty fond of Noble Court near 520 for dim sum - the best around I think. Some of their carts are heated, the prices reasonable. Try the banana leaf wrapped sticky rice, the humbow, Chinese broccoli & chicken feet (I know, HUH?, but delicious.

I can't remember the name for the life of me, but there's a great Indian Buffet on NE 148th Ave in the same parking lot (at the north end behind Wherehouse Records) as Fred Meyer. If you take 520 exit NE 148th (South). It is the emperor of Indian buffets, with around 50 dishes & soups. There is a scary amount of food.

If you're ever in downtown Renton try the Spirit of India. They've got a delicious buffet from 11:30-2pm that includes lamb, chicken, curries, fresh naan...

Also, if you like good fish & chips there's a Spud's Fish & Chips in Juanita, on 116th. Good buttermilk fried mushrooms too.

Those are my 2 or 3 cents. Plkease see another post under "Breakfast Anyone?"

it's been a while and there's nothing formal on this list, but they should all be good:

Bento Box (on ne 24th @ 152nd or so behind the Arby's) for korean/japanese.

Mayuri(156th @ northup (aka NE 20th))- indian. haven't tried the newer place mentioned above. also the south indian chain (?) place (Udipi Palace) in crossroads (outside, next to firenze, which is a good italian restaurant).

the taco truck in the 76 @ the corner of 148th and ne 24th

I can't remember the name for the life of me, but there's a great Indian Buffet on NE 148th Ave in the same parking lot (at the north end behind Wherehouse Records) as Fred Meyer. If you take 520 exit NE 148th (South). It is the emperor of Indian buffets, with around 50 dishes & soups. There is a scary amount of food.

I think you mean the Savoy, and for a buffet it really is good. We call it the Las Vegas Indian because of the decor.

Mayuri(156th @ northup (aka NE 20th))- indian.

Second this. I haven't been to the Mayuri in Bellevue, but I used to go all the time to their Queen Anne location, and told as many people as I could about it, but despite it all, they still closed down due to a lack of customers.

It still pisses me off to this day, even though it's been a few years now. Because I remember sitting there eating this fantastic food and how they were my first exposure to southern Indian food and their heavenly Masala Dosa, and seeing people ignore the place but stream to the trendier more expensive places around it and wait in huge-assed lines to get in.

After Mayuri closed, for the longest time I just developed the worst attitude about residents on Queen Anne, literally. As in, just thinking "All y'all suck!". And walking around the neighborhood distraught and heartbroken while wondering what to do that terrible night I first discovered they had closed and passing people by thinking "You suck." "You suck too." "You there gibbering on your cellphone at Trendy Place, you definitely suck and so do all your friends."

Nowadays I don't think that at Queen Anne residents anymore (much! :laugh:) but damn I miss Mayuri's old location. Hopefully the Bellevue Mayuri still has old Prem at the helm of it.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Because I remember sitting there eating this fantastic food and how they were my first exposure to southern Indian food and their heavenly Masala Dosa, and seeing people ignore the place but stream to the trendier more expensive places around it and wait in huge-assed lines to get in.

Neelam's on Greenwood, North of 85th has Dosa. This place is cheap and pretty darn good. And empty, when I've been. Not Eastside.

Eastside - Raga in Kirkland. Shamania in Kirkland near the PCC - a weird place to find.

My fave E. side places are:

1. Mediterranean Kitchen in Bellevue

2. Cactus in Kirkland

1. Good dish to try is Shistwook or farmer's dish (garlic marinated chicken wings). Take your significant other or they will hate you for your garlic breath! The Bellevue place run by Tony (son of the fellow who runs the Queen Ann's M. Kitchen) is so much better.

2. Try their tapas during dinner - yum yum. I prefer the Kirkland location better than Madison Park. Better tasting food.

Hungry_Moose

Neelam's on Greenwood, North of 85th has Dosa. This place is cheap and pretty darn good. And empty, when I've been. Not Eastside.

I haven't been to Neelam's new location yet, though I did try their masala dosa at the old location awhile back, and didn't like it. But, that was only the once so maybe it's better now.

I used to get groceries at her now-defunct store, but her restaurant at the old location was hit or miss for me. Sometimes good, other times not so good, and one time, bad enough that I didn't ever go back, not just in terms of the food itself but her knowing what she was serving me was bad. But, I'm willing to give it another whirl as it's been a few years.

Have you compared the masala dosa there to any others in Puget Sound?

Also agree about Raga in Bellevue, though I haven't been to their post-fire location yet. I liked them a lot in their old location, which I recently noticed is still empty. Guess the building owners haven't fixed it yet.

Pat

Edited by Sleepy_Dragon (log)

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

There are dozens of great restaurants on the Eastside that have been discussed in other threads.

Here is a thread where we talk extensively about a whole mess of restaurants. In my post, I have a lot of links and other stuff about my top Eastide restaurants, yada yada.

To recap the thread, some recommendations I and others had for another poster asking about Eastside dinners:

on the cheap:

I Love Sushi

Udupi

La Cocina del Puerco

Jones BBQ Crossroads

moderate/affordable:

Pogacha

Firenze

Hector's

upscale/higher prices:

Cafe Juanita

Sans Souci

Third Floor Fish Cafe

Szmania's

Daniel's Broiler

Go look at the thread. I know there are other threads that have a lot of info. I'll try and find them.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Has anyone been to Tosoni's in Bellevue lately? I haven't been in a couple of years, but it would be one of my first picks for fine dining in Bellevue. Once you get past the idea of it being located in a strip mall, (which is convenient for parking however), when you step inside you are treated to European style charm, it's atmosphere is cozy, and they serve great food. As the linked review below mentions, "Tosoni's in Bellevue has a European-influenced menu that leans toward meat and game, but there's usually pasta, risotto and seafood as well."

Tosoni's Restaurant

14320 NE 20th ST.

Bellevue, WA

(425) 644-1668

The other threads pretty much sum up my eastside food likes (I am an evil eastsider afterall).

Things to add:

Dosas galore (even a 6 foot dosa) at Udupi palace.

Thin Pan Thai in Kirkland is very good.

Santori (spelling) Greek in Kirkland is quite lovely

Noodle Boat Thai in Issaquah is fantastic

XXX Rootbeer in Issaquah is fun and has great rootbeer

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Noodle Boat Thai in Issaquah is fantastic

I haven't wanted to risk excommunication before, but now I am going to be brave enough dissent. :wink:

I know that NB is a huge eG fave, but I'm at a loss to explain why. I've been there three times and the food has ranged from passably good (but uninspired) to downright bad. The service has ranged from curt to laughably inept. I've even tried ordering a whole meal of dishes that were recommended by people whose palates I trust, and still I came away unimpressed by the food and annoyed by the service. (And yes, I am used to authentic Thai flavors and laid-back attitude... this was neither.)

If I were in Issaquah -- and Pogacha were closed -- I might go back. But I certainly wouldn't make the trip especially to eat there.

~Anita

My favorite Eastside Mexican joint is:

Frida's Mexican Restaurant

3226 132nd St SE

Bothell, WA 98012-5666

Phone: (425) 357-8606

It's the best Mexican food I've been able to find here. A bit of a drive up north past where 5 and 405 meet, but dinner for two with two drinks usually comes in under $40 including tip, so for us it was worth it.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

• 8 months later...

As a Bellevue-ite I must defend the honor of the Eastside. Well, its true that the pickings are slim and I usually head across the water for good eats, but we do have a few nice places. Some that have not been mentioned above as well.

Bis on Main: Excellent bistro with charming atmosphere and top notch wine list. The roast chicken is perfect.

Cocina del Puerco: Used to be Puerco Lloron and still has the same feeling. Good cheap eats, across the street form Bis, card tables and folding chairs.

Nibbana Thai: This place was such a surprise to me. The food is very well cooked, especially the seafood. It is presented on nice china plates and serving items, and the room has some beautiful large Thai wooden pieces of art. You won't find any "most spicy" contest here, but you will find very well prepared and seasoned Thai, several steps up from most other Thai places.

El Rinconcito: OK I haven't been yet, but people rave about the carnitas and other goodies.

Tosoni's: Wow just where you wouldn't expect it, a fabulous white linen, Austrian place. Very well prepared food, feels welcoming, just like a neighborhood joint should be, but with very good food. One night I was there late, drinking lots of wine, and the owner went outside and picked fresh figs right off the parking lot trees and turned them into a treat for the house.

Chace's Pancake House: I can walk there for a $5 diner-style breakfast. Love the potato pancakes. Lousy coffee. Packed every morning, esp weekends.

Noble Court: Very good dim sum..You have to go up to Vancouver to get better.

And, on a summer day, the patio at Red Hook in Woodinville can't be beat. Better beer than food, and it is right on the Burke Gilman trail, just about when you get thirsty.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

Bellevue El Rinconsito: The blubbery carnitas are the worst thing I have tried there (SeaGal can back me up on this), and the rest of it ain't so hot. I keep going back because I keep hoping it will live up to the hype. The best meal I've had there was just "pretty good".

I tried La Cocina del Puerco last week after the Times review. Yep, it looks just like Puerco Lloron in there, right down to the mouldering decade-old chiles behind plexiglas decorating the counter (shudder). The menu's largely the same, too, but there are a few differences -- tiny but very tasty tortillas (yes, smaller then EPL's) and LCdP's relleno sauce is tomato-y, rather than the odd broth-y stuff at EPL... but that's not saying it's good. It had the distinct tang of the can. I may go back and try the tamales and/or the tacos, but I'm not rushing back.

~Anita

Yep, I concur with Anita on the carnitas at the Eastside El Rinconsito--the fat was blubbery, not crispy, crunchy like it should be. In general, I liked the Burien outpost way better than the Eastside, although I haven't been in several months. That said, the pork adobado was pretty good on the Eastside, but not enough to make me drive back across the bridge for.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I was pretty disappointed with La Cocina del Puerco when I tried it a few weeks ago. The tortillas were great, but the meat was way oversalted, and the Parmesan cheese sprinkled over everything didn't help. (What is it with that? If I can get cotija in Bellevue, surely they can, too.) Somehow food that is partway there, but not nearly close enough is even more depressing for me than outright bad food.

I also tried the taco truck in Bellevue/Redmond on 148th and 24th (which was mentioned on another forum) for tortas. I got the al pastor torta. The meat tasted dried out, and the bread was just greasy and weird.

Moving from the Phoenix area to the Seattle area was an upgrade, food-wise, except for Mexican (and oddly enough, gelato, but that's another thread). I've got Muy Macho and La Carta, and now Frida's on my "want to try" list, but because of logistics, they have to be planned-out events rather than something I try just because I'm craving Mexican food. I may just have to make it myself.

Okay, end of mope. We had a lovely dinner at Bis a few months ago, and yesterday we had lunch at Udupi Palace. It was buffet, which I usually don't like, but this was a very nice buffet. Everything was aggressively spiced, and even a milder dish, like a beet and carrot dish, was nicely perked up with ginger. And of course, Amore chocolates alone would redeem the Eastside for me.

Thanks for the warnings on El Rinconcito. I won't make a point of going. And, I agree--what is it with the Parmesan cheese? At least it places that do that don't usually have food swimming in Cheddar.

I wonder if there is an existing thread about really good autentico Mexican anywhere near Seattle, as I have pretty much quit trying to find any.

And I am curious if anyone else has been to Nibbana Thai in Bellevue. While not in the "best ever" category, I think they have something really nice going on. I appreciate the use of good china and thoughtful presentation, and any place that can put properly cooked seafood instead of the overdone stuff that is often served deserves a smile.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

• 6 months later...

Me and the Mrs. were there a few weeks ago. Things are still excellent. I'm hoping to head there next week for a business-expensed event. We'll see...

Have any egulleters been to Cafe Juanita lately? I'm planning a short trip to Seattle and have fond memories...want to know if it's still great food! thanks

I had a half order of the risotto with braised oxtail followed by saddle of lamb (although different than on the menu now -- mine was on a bed of chick pea puree and served with yogurt). Dessert was the chocolate truffle cake. I think my wife started with a half of pasta and porcinis followed by the duck. She finished off with the olive oil cake.

Everything that night was great. I'd give a special nod to the risotto, the lamb, and the olive oil cake. I've also had the ribeye in the past, which is also well prepared.

My take: hard to go wrong there...