• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When Expensive Equipment Matters

lorea

Cheese, goat cheese, buffalo mozz, etc.

I have long been a customer of Ideal Cheese co which is in New York City and have had cheeses shipped here to southern California with nary a single problem.

Their service is exceptional.

http://www.idealcheese.com/ or call them at (800) 382-0109

They carry some cheeses that are very hard to find. I especially love the Ricotta Salata and buy it 5 pounds at a time as it is marvelous in salads.

It is nothing like regular ricotta - it is made from sheep's milk and has a wonderful flavor.

Their buffalo mozzarella is the best I have tried. If you like the traditional English cheeses, the Lancashire is fantastic served with fruit. It "marries" beautifully with apples and/or pears.

They also have a new type of pepper from South Africa which is very sweet and spicy and is extraordinary stuffed with the above mentioned Ricotta Salata.

Forbes has listed them as the best cheese retailer on the web and Zagat survey has also listed them as tops.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

They also have a new type of pepper from South Africa which is very sweet and spicy and is extraordinary stuffed with the above mentioned Ricotta Salata.

are they peppadews? i love those!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Yes. Aren't they wonderful.

I ordered some seeds last year but the plants did not produce the same kind of peppers that I had bought (at Bristol Farms, a very up-scale market here in soCal).

They were hot but not at all sweet and weren't the correct shape.

I am trying to find a source for the plants themselves.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yes. Aren't they wonderful.

I ordered some seeds last year but the plants did not produce the same kind of peppers that I had bought (at Bristol Farms, a very up-scale market here in soCal).

I would very definitely like to find those seeds. Those are delicious.

Yes.  Aren't they wonderful.

I would very definitely like to find those seeds. Those are delicious.

Apparently they aren't available except under commercial licensing. This is the website. Robyn

I totally agree with good knives and cookware. I figured that top quality ingredients goes without saying. But what about shoes? A good pair of clogs(not the department store variety) will lengthen your career by a decade. Good for the feet, legs and back. :cool:

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

NulloModo:

There's real "good stuff" that is aged and comes in bottles that aren't necessarily shaped like the one above. The stuff I have at home is This One and it's amazing.

Katie-

I get that brand too and I second it's amazingness. :wub: I will say it's about the most I've every spent on an ingredient but oh my!

I can usually make a bottle last a year. I like it drizzled over fresh tomatoes (german johnsons or other heirloom if you can get it) with fresh mozz. and basil.

Ahh..is it summer yet? :cool:

Anne

TJHarris, can you tell me just what you find so good about the clogs?

Sore feet and backs are a part of this biz and if there is something better to put on your feet I would be extremely grateful! Thanks , Doug............

The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity!

I totally agree with good knives and cookware.  I figured that top quality ingredients goes without saying. But what about shoes?  A good pair of clogs(not the department store variety) will lengthen your career by a decade.  Good for the feet, legs and back. :cool:

I like Birkenstocks. Unfortunately - I wear size 32 clogs (basically women's size 4-5). They're kid's shoes - and - unfortunately - the kid's shoes have been discontinued :sad: .

While we're dealing with apparel - I'll note that I just bought a cut resistant chef's glove from a company called Hubert. The company seems to carry nice stuff - basically for commercial accounts. It isn't very cost effective to buy just one glove - but it was worth it to get an extra-small one that actually fit me!

Also - I get a catalogue from a company called Chefware. Like the catalogue says - it has the "Look That Cooks" :smile: . Robyn

Sore feet and backs are a part of this biz and if there is something better to put on your feet I would be extremely grateful! Thanks , Doug............

I wear Birkenstock clogs for lots of things. Not only are they good on your feet and your back - but you can muck around in anything with them - spill anything on them - and they wash up in 2 seconds (I use them for gardening as well as cooking - and they're a must-have for people who work in even sloppier areas like operating rooms because you can throw them in the dishwasher). Robyn

Since I got my Dansko's that's all I wear.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Doug, I tried a myriad of different shoes and found that after switching to a good clog(Dansko Professionals), that my posture improved to the point that not only did my feet stop hurting after a 16 hr. day but so did my back and knees. It has a lot to do with the way the clogs force you to stand. I will never go back to a regular work shoe. Another added bonus...I was going through a pair of top quality workshoes every 3-4 monthes. Dankos last me up to 20 monthes and they only cost about $20 dollars more. Net savings of a couple hundred dollars a year.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.