• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best microbrewery/bar in boulder

Mongo,

I was hoping somebody else would chime in; I don't like beer, so I'm definitely not the best person to offer an opinion about brewpubs. My information about the beer is all hearsay. But I don't want you to think you're being ignored, so I'll at least share what I know, and comment about the food at the brewpubs.

Mountain Sun and Southern Sun are related.

Redfish Brewing boasts of a Cajun style menu. The food is pretty good, but a little expensive for bar food. Friends say the Belgian beers/ales are good.

Walnut Brewery also has good food. It's one of the Rock Bottom chain, but definitely has a true Boulder atmosphere. It's usually crowded. Once you're seated, service is incredibly accommodating. Reports I hear on the beer itself are mixed.

Rockies Brewing boasts of being Colorado's oldest microbrewery. It's open Monday-Friday for lunch and early dinner (until 8:00 or 9:00, I think, and during the summer, it might be open Saturdays.) Pretty typical, Boulder style bar food-burgers/sandwiches/potato skins/fries/salads.

Sorry, have to go now. More if I think about it and no one else offers help...

Mongo--

Have you tried Left Hand and Tabernash Brewery in Longmont? I stopped in their tasting room as part of a story I'm writing for Sunset (Food Lover's Longmont) , and I was very impressed with their beers. I opted for the taster sampler -- six pours for $6. There's also a restaurant affiliated with the brewery and tasting room, on Main Street in Longmont, and the food is quite good. Nice patio, too.

-Lori

-Midson-

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart, who looks at her watch

-James Beard-

i've only just begun to explore the microbrewery scene here. i had a great porter at mountain sun last fall en route to a movie--two colleagues and i went to southern sun this past week and had quite a bit of an amber ale--i'll probably go back there a few more times and try a few more before moving on to some place else--thanks for the recommendations though and i hope more will trickle in.

i'm actually going to update my boulder beer bulletins on the beer forum if anyone is interested.

I will echo the Walnut recommendation, they've got some great brews. For non-brewpub micros try either Avery or Twisted Pine, they both make great beer.

Brian Hoffmeyer

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

for the non-brewpub micros, do they have fixed hours when one can sample their wares on the premises? or by non-brewpub do you just mean bar but no food?

By non-brewpub micros I meant ones that just brew beer for wholesale and that might have a small retail presence at their breweries. I believe that Twisted Pine has a little bar area where you can sample. The Rockies/Boulder Brewing brewery also has a bar that has a great, cheap happy hour. I'm not sure if Avery has on site sampling, but I'd be surprised if they don't

Brian Hoffmeyer

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

Mongo et al,

I'm both cheap and a microbrew freak. Here are my favorite Boulder beerspots with special reference to happy hour:

1) Mountain Sun & Southern Sun

Happy hour 4-6 p.m. and 10 p.m.-1 a.m. Monday through Friday, 10 p.m. -1 a.m. Saturday and Sunday: $2 house pints, $6 house pitchers.

The two Suns share many of the same brews, though each typically features one or two not available at the other. My favorites are the Colorado Kind, a very hoppy ESB, and the XXX Pale Ale. Seasonal brews, like the recent Strong Ale, are often excellent. No happy hour food specials, but the regular menu is decent and cheap, and the service is cheerful and competent (all too rare in Boulder). A half-order of nachos will easily feed three or four not-too-piggy people. Very popular, sometimes hard to get a table, can get very noisy.

2) RedFish

Happy hour 4-7 p.m. daily: $2 pints, various snacks.

Mostly Belgian-style beers. I like the Angry Monk, which is tasty but less sweet/bubble-gummy than some belgians. Seasonal brews are good. Discount snack plates (fresh mozzarella salad is yummy, hot wings are lame). Service can be flaky or excellent. Quieter than the Suns, never a problem getting a table (but it's more fun to sit at the bar).

3) Conor O'Neill's

Happy hour 4-7 p.m. daily: $3 20-ounce drafts, $3 wings, nachos, curry and chips, cheese fries.

Okay, not a microbrewery/bar per se. But their selection of semi-craft draft beers is terrific: Guinness, Murphy's, Beamish, Stella Artois, Harp, Boddington's Pub Ale, White Rascal Belgium Wheat Ale, Bass Pale Ale, Smithwicks Irish Ale, and more. And the curry fries rule. Service is variable; not too crowded/noisy at happy hour.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain