• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cute DC Cafes/Restaurants

I will be in DC for the weekend, can anyone recommend some cute, not too trendy places, in either Dupont Circle or Georgetown.

Thanks!

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

Likes? Dislikes? Price range?

For cafes, check out the cafe in KramerBooks on Connecticut just north of the circle.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Along those same lines, I'd be interested in hearing about cafes where one can have a cup of coffee, a snack perhaps, and spend 2-3 hrs in front of a book or laptop (preferably) in the middle of a weekday without feeling like I'm imposing or in the way. Places with wireless access would be especially great, and those nearby a Metro stop or in areas I could pretty easily find parking would be doubly-doubly great. :biggrin::biggrin:

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Along those same lines, I'd be interested in hearing about cafes where one can have a cup of coffee, a snack perhaps, and spend 2-3 hrs in front of a book or laptop (preferably) in the middle of a weekday without feeling like I'm imposing or in the way. Places with wireless access would be especially great, and those nearby a Metro stop or in areas I could pretty easily find parking would be doubly-doubly great. :biggrin::biggrin:

How about Tryst in Adams Morgan.

1. Coffee? Check.

2. Snack? Check.

3. Wifi? Check.

4. Able to sit all day? Check.

5. Metro? Well, not on top of a metro, but Woodley park isn't that far, and during the week during the day you mean even find parking.

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

Likes? Dislikes? Price range?

For cafes, check out the cafe in KramerBooks on Connecticut just north of the circle.

Well for lunch I wouldnt be having a 3 course meal so, I d spend up to $20 I guess, just somewhere that has a nice ambience, good sandwiches and in a fun location. Also, does DC allow smoking in restaurants? what about bars?

Homer

There's a little place by my office called Starbuk's (sp?) that might be what you're looking for. I think they might be a chain.

Bill Russell

That place from Seattle with the green lettering, round logo and pricey beverages -- what's it called? Starbrocks or something??? -- may fit many of your criteria. Kind of hard to find them, but I thinks there's one or two of them around DC. :wink:

That place from Seattle with the green lettering, round logo and pricey beverages -- what's it called? Starbrocks or something??? -- may fit many of your criteria. Kind of hard to find them, but I thinks there's one or two of them around DC. :wink:

Ok funny boys...I guess I shoulda mentioned that I HATE Starbucks and wasn't even considering it...I'm spoiled by this fantastic little joint called Cafe Clave near my house in West Philly--great coffee, great group of regulars, they let me hang all day even if I only spend $5. Looking for a decent vibe as well, I guess. Definitely a place where I can use the restroom or feed the meter without too much fear of losing my laptop.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

For Sara:

Although it's a chain, Cosi has Internet access and you can spend hours there. Love Cafe on U Street, for coffee and desserts, although not sure about the Internet access. On Capitol Hill Murky Coffee by Eastern Market has plenty on laptop users kicking around. Isn't there a Caribou Coffee on 14th Street? The several Teaism locations around town for a spot of tea are all near metro stops.

In Dupont, bistrot ducoin is one of my fave. good steak frites, euro beers, simple salads, yummy creme brulee. wrapworks is a good cheap lunch. gabriel is pretty good too. they have yummy drinks and pretty tasty tapas. There's a lot of night spots there...ranging from pool at buffalo billiards, clubs like five or 18th street lounge, or a hole in wall type place like lucky bar or big hunt.

in georgetown, there's places on the water which are good for drinks, water views, and watching the planes fly into national...like sequoyah & tony & joes. the food isn't spectacular at either place, in my opinion. ribs at old glory are all right and they have a patio upstairs. 1789 is elegant and consistently wonderful...if you want to spend some money. well, if you really want to spend some money in georgetown you could go to citronelle. if you like good gelato & sorbet go to patisserie poupon. they have a good pate sandwich with cornichons, too. sorry, but i don't have addresses on hand for those spots. have fun!

thank you all so much, i ll be down for the womens rights march and will only have 1 real day of eating as most of Sunday will be spent marching,,,,,,,,, I have plenty of excellent options now!

have a great weekend!

Homer

oh, i don't think any of those places have internet access. And none of them are really coffeehouse like, if that's what your looking for. and you can smoke most places that serve alcohol. the ones on my list where you can't smoke (unless outside) are patisserie poupon and wrapworks.

Edited by evilcartman (log)

This is great--maybe I'll spend a week trying out a different place each day and report back!

-- William Grimes

For eating, not for endless lounging, try Pesce on 21st and P St, ijust off Dupont Circle, for fish. Very relaxed, very good. In Georgetown, Cafe la Ruche is a great place to order up a pate sandwich and drink wine. Not up to Parisian standards, jeunefille, but gently priced and frequented by locals. Avoid the 12-1:30 crush, and get a table on the patio. 1039 31st St. in Georgetown

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Caribou doesn't have Wifi (or any internet access). But you can sit outside with a book for a while.

Further up 14th street, there is a place that has wifi though.

thank you all so much, i ll be down for the womens rights march and will only have 1 real day of eating as most of Sunday will be spent marching,,,,,,,,, I have plenty of excellent options now!

have a great weekend!

If you're coming down Saturday be aware that there is another march/protest on that day, and these people won't be as friendly. The anti-World Bank/IMF people (think: riots in Seattle) are coming to town, and sometimes it gets ugly.

Not exactly central DC, but the newish Mayorga coffee house 4-5 blocks from Silver Spring metro meets all the criteria. There's also lots of parking - they might even have a parking lot if I remeber correctly.

Along those same lines, I'd be interested in hearing about cafes where one can have a cup of coffee, a snack perhaps, and spend 2-3 hrs in front of a book or laptop (preferably) in the middle of a weekday without feeling like I'm imposing or in the way. Places with wireless access would be especially great, and those nearby a Metro stop or in areas I could pretty easily find parking would be doubly-doubly great.  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Jerry Seinfeld calls is "FourBucks". :biggrin:

Mark

Along those same lines, I'd be interested in hearing about cafes where one can have a cup of coffee, a snack perhaps, and spend 2-3 hrs in front of a book or laptop (preferably) in the middle of a weekday without feeling like I'm imposing or in the way. Places with wireless access would be especially great, and those nearby a Metro stop or in areas I could pretty easily find parking would be doubly-doubly great.  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Not exactly central DC, but the newish Mayorga coffee house 4-5 blocks from Silver Spring metro meets all the criteria. There's also lots of parking - they might even have a parking lot if I remeber correctly.

You beat me to the suggestion.

Mayorga has free parking in the rear, internet access, doesn't care if you stay all day and damn good coffee.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I just wanted to say thanks to whomever recommended Cafe La Ruche. It was a perfect little place to have a great lunch on such a beatiful day. We had to wait outside for about 30 min for a table outside, but it was well worth it. My friend and I shared the brie./ apple platter which filled us uop nicely while we waited for our 3rd friend. I had the sauteed snails in garlic butter and wild mushrooms which were full of flavor and prettty authentic. The chocolate mousse came in a great little portion which suited me just fine since it was incredibly rich, but heavenly.

my friends lunches were euqally nice. The service was great and if I didnt look up to my right where the horrible brick highrise was, sandwiched between two old yellow buildings, and pretty trees, I couldve been in the french country side:)

I highly recommend it and prices were very reasonable too

thanks again

lauren

Homer

I'd be interested in hearing about cafes where one can have a cup of coffee, a snack perhaps, and spend 2-3 hrs in front of a book or laptop (preferably) in the middle of a weekday without feeling like I'm imposing or in the way.

Soho in Dupont Circle...

Ching Ching Cha (tea, not coffee) in Georgetown

Sparky's Espresso Cafe (outside is nicest)

I second Sparky's as my favorite espresso/coffeehouse -- at 14th and R. Independently owned, smoking allowed in the front section, internet access (but not WiFi, as far as I know) and great espresso drinks.

My favorite bistro/cafe in that part of town is Saint Ex (14th and T).. they're doing a few tastings in the next month or so... (from an email)

APRIL 27TH

BELGIUM BEER, HOMEMADE PRETZELS AND SAUSAGES

7-9pm

Pretzels:

Handmade by Saint-Ex Pastry Chef Lizzy Evelyn

Sausages:

Handmade by Saint-Ex Executive Chef Jay Jenc

$20adv/$25 door

MAY 11th

NORTHERN ITALIAN WINES AND CHEESES (1ST IN A SERIES)

7-9PM

Wines:

(Selection from Winebow)

Cheese:

(Selection from International Gourmet Foods)

$35adv/$40 door

MAY 25th

BELGIUM BEER, MUSSELS AND FRITES

7-9pm

Beers:

(Presented by Jeff Wells of Global Brewers Guild)

Mussels:

Steamed in selected beers

Frites:

served with homemade sauces

$25adv/$30 door

Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training.

Anna Freud

The Cyberstop Cafe (I know, stupid name) on 17th between Q and P (I think) has WiFi access all over, a patio out front with plenty of outlets, and allows smoking both indoors and outdoors. Pretty standard espresso and sandwiches/cookies, but if you're hungry, go to Komi or Sushi Taro near by. Otherwise, sit in the sun for hours (they could care less) and surf away.