• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another "light Italian" pizza place

JPW

The Weekend section of the Post reviews yet ANOTHER new pizza oven light Italian restaurant, Sorriso.

How many more will open?

Have we reached saturation level on these yet?

Which will be the first to go under?

How long will it take before one shuts its doors?

Granted DC suffered for good pies until recently, but I really wonder how many people will leave behind their Domino's/Papa John's/Pizza Hut to provide these places all of the business they need.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

If someone would open one of these out in Loudoun County I'd be there twice a month at least. And I bet they'd do great business. Better than the typical strip mall Italian places out here, but still more accessible than other options.

In the city though, you have to do what you are doing well or have the right location to pull it off at this point. I would think that in order to sustain long-term business these will need to become neighborhood-type places. They won't be "destination" restaurants much longer if they are on every corner.

Except for those of us in the burbs.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

If someone would open one of these out in Loudoun County I'd be there twice a month at least. And I bet they'd do great business. Better than the typical strip mall Italian places out here, but still more accessible than other options.

In the city though, you have to do what you are doing well or have the right location to pull it off at this point. I would think that in order to sustain long-term business these will need to become neighborhood-type places. They won't be "destination" restaurants much longer if they are on every corner.

Except for those of us in the burbs.

I'm with you Bilrus.

Now that I have Red Dog Cafe a 5-10 minute drive from my house, I see visiting/ordering from them on a regular basis (esp. once they get a liquor license).

With that nearby, I don't see myself making a special trip down to DuPont to go to Sette unless I really want the Salume board.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I've been to Sorriso a couple times. I'm sure it will survive as a neighborhood restaurant for Cleveland Park and as a pre/post joint for people going to the Uptown, but the food is ok at best.

The pizza is decent I'll give them that (I haven't been to Sette Osteria yet for comparison), although the crust tends to get limp and soggy in the middle.

Eve says:

The tuna carpaccio appetizer is just short of a first-rate presentation: The fine, barely fatty tuna comes to the table a little too cold for its flavor to have fully developed, and though the arugula salad beneath is a nice concept, it's dry and stiff in a fashion that works against -- often tearing at -- the tender fish. Wilting it or turning the capers and olive oil into a warm dressing and tossing it would release the flavor and make it easier to eat.

When I ordered it, the tuna was still frozen, I mean ice crystal crunch.

The fried calamari was straightforward and fine. The pasta carbonara (sp?) was just not very good. Pasta dishes and meat dish tend to get a bit pricey at $15-$20 range, while the pizza stays in the $10-$15 range.

If you want to sit down for a pizza and glass of wine before a movie then Sorriso is fine, but IMO that's about it.

The pizza is decent I'll give them that (I haven't been to Sette Osteria yet for comparison), although the crust tends to get limp and soggy in the middle.

Why is this such a problem around here? The soggy center has been the theme when talking about Matchbox and Sette too (although my one pie at Sette was fine). I haven't tried Ella's yet - is this a problem there?

Is it because the pizzas are too big, poor oven temp, what? I know Paradiso and Two Amy's get it right. Even St. Basil in Reston used to do a good job before they closed.

Bill Russell

Why is [the soggy center] such a problem around here? Is it because the pizzas are too big, poor oven temp, what?

Quantity of toppings, esp. sauce, is the culprit. (At least I have identified it as such in my home-made 'za.)

This would seem to leave the chef in a bind -- prepare a nice, crisp pie and be accused of skimping on the toppings, or pile on the toppings and create the soggy center.

The pizzas at Sorriso tend to have a spare amount of fairly high quality toppings. The definitely don't pile it on ala Pizza Hut or the other chains. I would suspect that their oven temp isn't high enough. The outside crust is usually crisp, slightly blistered, but the center could definitely use some more time.

Why is [the soggy center] such a problem around here?  Is it because the pizzas are too big, poor oven temp, what?

Quantity of toppings, esp. sauce, is the culprit. (At least I have identified it as such in my home-made 'za.)

This would seem to leave the chef in a bind -- prepare a nice, crisp pie and be accused of skimping on the toppings, or pile on the toppings and create the soggy center.

Recently moved up from Miami Beach where there is a FANTASTIC pizza spot called Piola's. Amazing. Did I mention it is fabulous?

Anyway, crusts were never soggy in the center. Reason? They baked the thin crust first in the brick oven, then lightly topped with cheese/sauce, baked again briefly, then added a fairly spare amount of the final toppings. Worked great every time I went and I've been looking for something as good here. 2 Amy's and Sette haven't been quite the same quality the times I've been.

That's the way they make pizzas in Provence -- my wife and I were having a cold early beer after a hot morning of marketing, and when I went back to the gents I noticed a cook baking one crust after another in the wood-burning oven, getting ready for the lunch rush. Naturally, we stuck around, and ended up persuaded that the French deserve a little more attention for their pizza than they get.

Later (we had kids in tow, so we kept eye out) we noticed that it was pretty standard practice in the region.

As to their profusion in DC, I say, let a thousand flowers bloom and may the best pie win.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i really don't think pizzaria paradisio is that great.

i'm interested in the free pizza happy hour at ella's. does anyone know if this is everyday and if so what hours?

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.