• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Offal Truth: Part 1

slkinsey

(Anyone know what a cooked duck embryo looks like?)

It depends on the maturity of the eggs. You can buy different stages in the Philippines. The most common that I've seen have a fairly well-developed chick. There are definitely eyes, beak, feathers, etc. There's a very tough, rubbery white part and a bit of yolk. There's also usually quite a bit of fluid inside. I've only eaten the yolk part and that's good. The rest makes me cringe and I usually avert my eyes.

Edit to add: For future reference, the proper way to eat balut is to carefully break open one end, tip the egg into your mouth, drink the "juice," then peel and eat the rest. You can add salt as desired.

Thanks for that amazing tour of NYC. I would never have been able to keep up foodwise (no hollow leg here), but that's one NYC experience I'd like to try one day.

Edited by Rhea_S (log)

Wow, I'm impressed by the amount of food you guys packed away.

Thanks for the vicarious experience. With the exception of sweetbreads (and chopped liver) I stay away from most of that stuff. Plus, the only places you can get good kosher offal are in Paris.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Having known slkinsey for quite a few years, I know that he was exposed as a child to quite a few dishes of "offal". His loving mother often prepared her favorite kidney stew, and tongue with caper sauce was also often served, along with beef liver and chicken liver. Beef heart was even offered. Pickled lamb tongue, souse and scrapple or liver mush were enjoyed by some in his family, and giblet gravy was a regular with roasted chicken or turkey. I know Sam has eaten haggis in honor of his Scots ancestry. So you see he comes from an "offal" family! :biggrin:

Having known slkinsey for quite a few years, I know that he was exposed as a child to quite a few dishes of "offal". His loving mother often prepared her favorite kidney stew, and tongue with caper sauce was also often served, along with beef liver and chicken liver. Beef heart was even offered. Pickled lamb tongue, souse and scrapple or liver mush were enjoyed by some in his family, and giblet gravy was a regular with roasted chicken or turkey. I know Sam has eaten haggis in honor of his Scots ancestry. So you see he comes from an "offal" family! :biggrin:

A dynasty in the making. It's a pleasure to be the first to welcome another Kinsey to eGullet. Welcome aboard!

Having known slkinsey for quite  a few years, I know that he was exposed as a child to quite a few dishes of "offal".  His loving mother often prepared her favorite kidney stew, and tongue with caper sauce  was also often served, along with beef liver and chicken liver.  Beef heart was even offered.  Pickled lamb tongue, souse and scrapple  or liver mush were enjoyed by some in his family, and giblet gravy was a regular with roasted chicken or turkey.  I know Sam has eaten haggis in honor of his Scots ancestry.  So you see he comes from an "offal" family!    :biggrin:

Cool! Another Kinsey to play with! Which one are you and how are you related to the other one?

Welcome to the nether world of eGullet. In no time at all you'll start wondering where all your time went... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Having known slkinsey for quite  a few years...

NoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!

Okay, who approved my mother for membership? :hmmm: What's the point of being a Site Manager if I'm not consulted on inmportant decisions like this, I ask you?

--

Having known slkinsey for quite  a few years...

NoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!

Okay, who approved my mother for membership? :hmmm: What's the point of being a Site Manager if I'm not consulted on inmportant decisions like this, I ask you?

:unsure:

Ruh-Roh, Rastro! Looks like the kitten is out of the bag now... :laugh:

So Mrs. Kinsey, about Sam's childhood....:wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I am sorry to report that you-all have missed the Cinco di Mayo Menudo Cook-off in San Marcos, Texas. It was last weekend, and evidently is a yearly event. Next year I look forward to seeing some entries from egullet people. How about you, Sam?

:wink:

• 10 months later...

Check out this event on the eGullet calendar: The Whole Pig: Everything but the Oink at Lupa.

If only I could take Friday off! This would be a great way to kick off the continuation of our offal tour.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

• 1 year later...

I don't know if there was a second one. If you'd like to have one, PM a proposal for a member-organized event to any forum host for this forum (we'll walk you through the process), or just contact people by PM to organize one informally.

Michael aka "Pan"

There was never a second one to my knowledge.

The first one was semi-organized around a weekend visit by me to NYC, and I haven't had the chance to swing back for a visit since, and hence have not had the opportunity to goad more members into a second round.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I don't know if there was a second one. If you'd like to have one, PM a proposal for a member-organized event to any forum host for this forum (we'll walk you through the process), or just contact people by PM to organize one informally.

Couldn't I just post a "We're meeting at such n'such for Offal Outing 2 on such date, etc" in the ISO Friends thread?

There was never a second one to my knowledge.

The first one was semi-organized around a weekend visit by me to NYC, and I haven't had the chance to swing back for a visit since, and hence have not had the opportunity to goad more members into a second round.

Herb, how about coming back this weekend or next or perhaps conspiring with your old cohorts on when a good time w/be? :cool:

I noticed a couple of the places from the first outing are no longer open (as far as I could tell) La Lunchenette and Foccaceria. Anyone know what happened/if they moved/changed names, etc?

Any suggestions on the latest Offaly eats? I had Pig's ear, beef brain and tongue tacos at Tehuitzingo a couple weeks ago. Wouldn't mind going back for the Goat tripe and a couple others.

That wasn't chicken

Maybe they moved. I'm positive I walked by each of them this weekend. La Luncheonette was on Tenth Ave. in the upper Twenties; the Foccaceria was on First Ave. somewhere around 10th St. (Anyway, the one on Union St. in Brooklyn is better.)

Vinnie retired to Florida, but the Mexican waitress and chef bought the name and reopened on west side of 1st Avenue one door above 13th St. It's exactly the same food The lima bean soup was still rich, with a splash of good quality olive oil. The beef pizaioula sandwich still floated an inch above the plate on garlic fumes. Pasta with garlic and erl was as great as ever. They've also added a Hispanic menu and a full bar.

The NY Forum "ISO Dining Friends" pinned topic is indeed the place to post a casual suggestion for such an outing and then make arrangements with interested parties by PM.

But "eatmywords"... how soon we forget.... :shock: wasn't that you and your omnivorous dining buddyl Nathan who joined me at Sripraphi Thai in Queens just last weekend as a result of my ISO post?

And we shared a bowl of Thai sauteed pork belly. It was prettty good... had a flavor slightly reminiscent of bacon (but less smoky or salty) and a texture a bit like conch.

Vinnie retired to Florida, but the Mexican waitress and chef bought the name and reopened on west side of 1st Avenue one door above 13th St.  It's exactly the same food  The lima bean soup was still rich, with a splash of good quality olive oil.  The beef pizaioula sandwich still floated an inch above the plate on garlic fumes.  Pasta with garlic and erl was as great as ever.  They've also added a Hispanic menu and a full bar.

Thx K, my bad, I found that they're both still open, La Lunchonette & Foccaceria. (This can happen when you rely too heavily on menupages).

That wasn't chicken