• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares"

UK News Team

I've been watching these as I take breaks in between studying. The UK version (at least the old ones) were far better than the US ones - they spend more time showing Ramsay teaching the chefs how to shop for food, prepare it, etc, plus it's missing that melodramatic music. And the follow-up visits are interesting.

Did anyone see the one with J Willy's? To me, it seemed the biggest problem was that the owner, John, just stood around open-mouthed, staring at everything dully, leaving the servers and cooks to flounder on their own. He seemed to have absolutely no idea what to do. Ramsay took over, and I couldn't help but think that as soon as he left, it would be back to square one because the manager was just standing there like a piece of furniture constantly. I think in the UK version this would've been something that would've been addressed, but the US show is so formulaic they had to just follow the restaurant is bad - GR investigates the kitchen and it's disgusting - there are dramatic talks - GR gives the place a makeover - new food is miraculously taught to the chef - restaurant is a great success and everyone loves everyone formula - so what's the point?

Agreed...I still watch the US version because I am a fan of Ramsey's and still find a FEW things to like or laugh at every episode...but the UK version is FAR superior...and more informative and entertaining IMO.

I'm hopelessly addicted to this show. And I don't work in the industry.

I live in the inland empire not far from Pomona. Seeing part (had to leave in the middle) of the Lela's (or something like that) episode left my wife and me shaking our heads. With no disrespect meant, Fine Dining in an ecomonically depressed area? I went on-line to see if I could find the restaurant listed and could not find it - leaving me to suppose that in the end it failed. I can't wait till the episode ir repeated so I can see what changes were made.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I've been watching these as I take breaks in between studying. The UK version (at least the old ones) were far better than the US ones - they spend more time showing Ramsay teaching the chefs how to shop for food, prepare it, etc, plus it's missing that melodramatic music. And the follow-up visits are interesting.

Did anyone see the one with J Willy's? To me, it seemed the biggest problem was that the owner, John, just stood around open-mouthed, staring at everything dully, leaving the servers and cooks to flounder on their own. He seemed to have absolutely no idea what to do. Ramsay took over, and I couldn't help but think that as soon as he left, it would be back to square one because the manager was just standing there like a piece of furniture constantly. I think in the UK version this would've been something that would've been addressed, but the US show is so formulaic they had to just follow the restaurant is bad - GR investigates the kitchen and it's disgusting - there are dramatic talks - GR gives the place a makeover - new food is miraculously taught to the chef - restaurant is a great success and everyone loves everyone formula - so what's the point?

That formula is starting to get old. Actually, I think America's love affair with Ramsay will end very soon. He might have one more season of Hell's Kitchen in him before people stop watching if he's lucky. The same goes for this show. Maybe one more season.

--- KensethFan

Your sentiments are echoed in this very good take on the series...

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/sep/19/en...nt/et-kitchen19

I just caught up with the "Fiesta Sunrise" episode. This is a real case-in-point.

A friend just back from New Zealand gave me a tape of the first few episodes of "The Kitchen Job" - reportedly a bit of a NZ rip-off of the "Kitchen Nightmares" series. It will be fascinating to view these during the week.

Edited by I8U8 (log)

Regards,

Peter

The British version is far better. I started off watching the British last year, and I think I've seen them all by now (they're not making any more of those, I take it?)

The American version is somewhat watered down. The British one is certainly more colorful.

i agree that the British one is better. I think its because you get more of Gordon's personality in the show. In the US version you have the silly narrator and all of the "interviews" with the owners, cooks, etc, but in the UK version, Gordon tells the whole story.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

A friend just back from New Zealand gave me a tape of the first few episodes of "The Kitchen Job" - reportedly a bit of a NZ rip-off of the "Kitchen Nightmares" series. It will be fascinating to view these during the week.

Well, last night I watched the first couple of episodes of "The Kitchen Job" (TV3). It is almost a carbon copy of the "Kitchen Nightmare" series. The fix-it man of New Zealand is John Palino - resident and local restaurateur, originally from New Jersey of Italian descent. Palino brings a very different vibe to the show than Ramsay - in fact, some might argue he lacks the charisma of his "Kitchen Nightmares" counterpart; and indeed there were times when I wish he had given the chefs and owners a well deserved Ramsay-esq 'bollocking'.

The show follows the familiar formula each time (with a few twists) - Palino cases the joint, orders a meal, confronts the owners, shows them a surveillance tape from a previous visit to highlight several deficiencies, watches the kitchen in action, does a make-over (the restaurant is closed for 2 days) and incorporates changes to menu and service, gets the staff on the street to promote the grand reopening, invites the show's resident critic (Luke Dallow) to dinner (everyone is alerted to his impending arrival but are not told who he is) to get his impressions; and finally, follows-up one month later with a second visit.

There is a voice over, with every corny (and occasionally clever) play on words. The focus tends towards the problems and personalities, but the restaurateurs under the spotlight lack the fiery personalities that make the US version of "Kitchen Nightmares" reality television gold - that's the more laid-back NZ temperament though!

It will be interesting to see what they will do if this goes to a second series. You can't hide Palino's surveillance trips, and Luke Dallow's identity, a second time round.

Overall, worth a look.

http://www.tv3.co.nz/TVShows/Reality/TheKi...px?showid=16804

Edited by I8U8 (log)

Regards,

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

A rep for Gorden Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares contacted me. They are casting in Philadelphia, as well as Boston, Southern California, Florida and the NYC area.

Restaurants interested in spending a fun-packed week with Gordon Ramsey and camera crew can call 866-266-2226 for more information. An application can be downloaded at The Conlin Company. Restaurants have to have been open for at least a year and should have 35 or more seats.

Though Jack McDavid manages quite well without Gordon Ramsey's input, I'd pay good money to watch them go a few rounds.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Though Jack McDavid manages quite well without Gordon Ramsey's input, I'd pay good money to watch them go a few rounds.

LOL

:laugh: LOL as well. And I'd sell tickets to see that matchup. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 10 months later...

Tonight, BBC America is showing one of two UK episodes which originally aired in January 2009 under the title 'Great British Nightmare.' They have been advertising it as 'all new episodes!' so, I was kind of disappointed to find out that it's just two episodes. Oh well, I'm glad for something new to watch!