• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares"

UK News Team

Hmm, not sure about that--the opening handshake with the chef was a bit, uhhr strange.

Good episode but it's all becoming a bit formulaic. We have to see GR take off his shirt and 'get down to business' (end of Act One). Take the message to the people, new problem arises just before second set of ads (and, actually, the last few have had management bollocks style games in exactly the same place). At least he didn't suggest re-painting in Tuesday night's which is his usual suggestion! Third act reprise. WHy do they have to recap before and after every ad break? They do it on the property pr0n programmes too, and it drives me wild!

Felt a bit sorry for the chef when he came in late on the Tuesday after suffering from child-care. I mean, GR and his team knew he dind't work Tues/Wed because of chldcare issues, so what day do they decide to start the new menu? But overall, you wanted them all to succeed.

First one where I really want to go and try the food.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Good episode but it's all becoming a bit formulaic.

I agree. It has become a bit formulaic, very much in the 'Faking It' mould.

1. The scenario is presented... it's a disaster!

2. We see a glimmer of hope, Ramsay gives good advice... maybe they can do it

3. The big dinner with the new menu... it all goes horribly wrong

4. Post programme analysis... here's what you have to do if you don't want to lose your restaurant, house, car, number plate, children, pet, mind, all of the above

5. The result.. Ramsay returns, wow, looks like they are pulling it off!

Regarding the recap after ad breaks, this is very much an American formula, so this user freindly option probably has a very keen eye on that market.

I loved this episode too. There was a real feel good factor running through it, and you just got the sense that Ramsay and Mama are going to be friends way after the credits have rolled. She also demonstrated great confidence and ability in her move from being completely hands-on in the kitchen to handing over the reins and taking control front of house, where she is just amazing.

The 'Soul in a Bowl' concept is marketing genius. I am a huge Gordon Ramsay fan and I think he is incredibly multi-faceted, but hearing that catch phrase did make me wonder if there are some marketing/management consultants working on the series. No shame in this, if it is the case, I would expect him to employ the best minds. But I'd just love to know if he actually came up with the phrase himself. Anyone know?

I'm sure I've heard "Soul in a Bowl" somewhere before, but I can't think where. I can't say I've ever thought of Ramsay as an innovator, but as Felix Dennis once said (and I'm parphrasing) "Who cares if the idea is original, its the execution that counts."

I recently heard Ramsay interviewed on the radio. He passed off Bocuse's famous quip "Who cooks the food when I'm not in the restaurant? The same people who cook it when I am there" as his own, so I wouldn't be amazed if he pinched soul in a bowl.

I watched it the other night an assumed the owner came up with it, as she was sat at at table and said something like i need to find a word for soul tapas

Yes I thought that too.

I thought it was a good episode but the problems and trouble shooting were pretty classic people-management not restaurant specific.

is it really any surprise that a TV series in it's second series can be described as formulaic?? it's a succesful formula, and one that attracts viewers, why should they change it?

the points raised in Corinna Dunnes post are surely the whole point of the show, if at least 4 of the 5 didn't happen (and in last weeks show it was only 4) then the show would fall flat.

This formula is a classic management technique for presentations, the key part being the big 'bad news' bit in the middle, leading on to the solution. As you say, it's perfect for television as it maintains interest. Grand Designs uses this formula too, to a lesser extent.

Smokey's last great song must be at least 25 years behind him. Rather than a bunch of mediocre tunes, we can now look forward instead to a whole mess of mightly fine tasting gumbo. I think its a move to be applauded and more over the hill rock and pop stars should follow suit.

I'd be more impressed if Van Morrison started a line of heat'n'eat Irish stew rather than keep re-making the same album over and over again. Bowie could switch to sushi, Motley Crue could bottle their own bourbon and McFly could market a range of human sized swatters for the benfit of music lovers everywhere.

...McFly could market a range of human sized swatters for the benfit of music lovers everywhere.

Or maybe they could team up with Dita Von Teese and Jess Cartner-Morley to make mini-haggises? (or haggi?)

You're definitely onto something here, Andy:

How's about Chas'n'Dave's patented jellied eels; Status Quo's pasties (in association with Ginsters) and Loyd Grossman's Puttanesca (AKA, 'Sauce Of A woman'). :laugh:

Not to mention Robbie William's unlimited edition range of pot noodles; the Oasis pepperoni ("it's a bit of an animal") or the fact that Destiny's Child are sponsored by Mickey D's ("I'm larging' it")!

Actually he used the F word 35 times - sadly I counted it too - but was genuinely fascinated to find out

Noticing this a bit late, I would like to make it absolutely clear that I am nowhere near as sad as above. I didn't actually count 'fucks', but merely relayed info dispensed by XFM DJO'Connell, who last week played a bleeped compilation of Gordon Potty Mouth's sweary highlights. Your count may be more accurate, DJOblong, or you may have been using subtly different criteria. Perhaps, when Gordon crammed two or more fucks into the same sentence, XFM counted it as one?

Last night, being in a French kitchen, Gordon PM repeatedly deployed what is evidently his Gallic oath of choice: putain. This usage raises a number of questions:

1. On the scale of offensiveness, isn't 'whore' in French equivalent to 'motherfucker' in English?

2. Would Potty Mouth get away with saying 'motherfucker' on Brit telly?

3. Would Mr Sale Bouche get away with saying 'putain' on French telly?

4. What does Loyd 'Puttanesca' Grossman have to do with it?

Last night, being in a French kitchen, Gordon PM repeatedly deployed what is evidently his Gallic oath of choice: putain. This usage raises a number of questions:

1. On the scale of offensiveness, isn't 'whore' in French equivalent to 'motherfucker' in English?

I've always understood it to be equivalent to 'fuck' rather than anything stronger, and both my regular and the online slang dictionaries agree. Not that the exact strength of swearwords is always easy to gauge in translation ...

I enjoyed last night's show, good to see someone who could cook for a change from the normal numptys.Gordon was right of course to point out the over elaborate food was not what captured stars, but he was on slightly less solid ground, as he couldn,t save his own place a couple of years back.

Is it in his contract that we have to see him getting dressed for service?

A good example of by chasing stars , you may not see the brick wall in your way.

I really enjoyed it too, especially when our star chaser did not recognise Derek Brown when he stood in front of him!

I have to say it made me a bit pig sick to see someone with sooo much money to throw at a restaurant "hmm, I don't like the look of the restaurant any more- here's £30k- see what you can do" I'm only insanely jelous of course. :sad:

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Twas interesting to see GR working at improving something where all the basics were there. I enjoyed this much more than the others this series, because it felt like GR was really working (rather than using stupid management techniques), and doing the sort of thing he probably has to do in his own kitchens and with his own talented staff. Obviously lots of talent, just then getting it all in order.

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Gordo certainly makes rivetting TV though the whole kilt business was frankly unpleasant. What sort of contract has he got that stipulates he must be shown getting dressed every episode?

I'd like to see a combination of Gordon "Where's your fucking balls" Ramsay and Alan "I'd have told him to piss off" Sugar troubleshooting an ailing business.

I think lovely Nigella's finger licking may be responsible in part for this trend.

I thought this was a really good, informative show too. Like last week, there was more of a positive chemistry going on in the kitchen (although we were teed up for Waterloo at the beginning). It was great to get an insight into a well run kitchen with talented chefs. So much more interesting than the stomach churning 'Italian sauces' a few weeks back.

Due to a video-related disaster, I missed the last couple of minutes of the programme (it cut out just after Derek Brown ordered the lamb). Could someone please enlighten me as to what the ex-inspector's views were and what GR/M le chef had to say about it?

Cheers

Philip

PS

Edinburgh

derek brown didn't go for the simpler dishes on the menu, he went for the lamb which had about 10 components to it including about 3 herb garnishes.

at the end they brought out the chef to meet mr brown and he told him that in his opinion he needed to guess what - simplify the cuisine.

chef didn't say much but it appears after 2 inspectors and one 3 star chef told him to simplify his food he got the message :laugh:

reckoned he was very near to star level cooking though.

gordon revisited the restaurant at the end and it looked very smart, almost ramsay-esque i thought!

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

have they done kitchen nightmares revisited yet?

after all they've done it with location.../property ladder and grand designs.

would be quite interesting to see if the places did change their spots.

and next week they return to the glasshouse.....

you don't win friends with salad